THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:36 pm 

you can look back in our entire history and i don't think you'll find many signings with the same profile of young age, ability to make an immediate impact and future potential to be worth a significant amount of money as healey and boateng.

reeves and poole should be very good players in this division and dickenson is interesting. we've not seen mason and bowery looks fine for what he is, which is a backup.

i'm tired of the idea that we should just be racing up to the championship as fast as we can and think about what we're going to do when we get there later. it went so well last time.

tisdale has his faults but i think he's done a considerable amount over the past couple of years to set this club up to be on a sustainable upwards curve, even if we don't shoot straight up into another promotion race this season.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:29 pm 

Filthy wrote:
It's not so much the lack of loans, but the lack of and quality of signings overall this window.

Boateng, Reeves and Healey, great.

Poole ok, bit of a luxury signing in some respects.

But the rest - Dickenson, Mason, Bowery and Walker either aren't good enough or weren't needed.

Look at the way Lincoln have conducted business, a handful of signings, all quality that improve their team from last season.

Ours has meant the team has overall taken a step backwards.

I think that is far too harsh on Dickenson and Mason at this stage. Bowery cannot replace Aneke, but that is harsh on him as no player in L1 can. Walker barely counts - a very low cost third keeper retainer set-up that covers us in emergencies with no harm that I can see.

So that is one negative (Bowery for Aneke) out of eight ins, as far as I am concerned (I am also more positive than you on Poole and certainly dont see him as a "luxury"). Plus our top scorer re-signed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:54 pm 

Still managed to score 15 goals so far this season. Id argue attacking threat might not be the issue so far this season. If we can get the defensive side settled and key players back we will be fine in achieving a reasonable objective for a promoted side enduring a turbulent few years in consolidating and avoiding an immediate return to league 2.

Also regarding the loan system. Smart move by tis not panicking and signing more. Our squad is plenty big enough, we've done plenty of business. Need to let this did settle and gauge where we are come January and respond to that with transfer activity. Saving some in the kitty I assume, letting this squad find its feet and develop and giving us wiggle room to assess any changes we need to make in January is smart and brave.

Weve got some good young players, makes sense not to starve their route to first team football by throwing money at other teams youngsters.

The bipolar bedwetters will be over excited again when we beat afc. Then quickly forgotten like the epic win against Lincoln, the team many get a hard on for here.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:32 pm 

Towcestrian wrote:
Filthy wrote:
It's not so much the lack of loans, but the lack of and quality of signings overall this window.

Boateng, Reeves and Healey, great.

Poole ok, bit of a luxury signing in some respects.

But the rest - Dickenson, Mason, Bowery and Walker either aren't good enough or weren't needed.

Look at the way Lincoln have conducted business, a handful of signings, all quality that improve their team from last season.

Ours has meant the team has overall taken a step backwards.

How is Dickenson and Mason not good enough when you’ve barely seen them?

I am disappointed as well we didn’t bring anymore in but some of this is complete bollocks.

Seriously, read my entire post next time. I said aren't good enough or weren't needed.

Did we need Mason, a player who has barely played in the last few seasons, or Dickenson for that matter? No we needed a substantial replacement for Aneke (maybe not as good as Aneke, but at least someone with goals in them - that should have been the priority). Dickenson is also just a luxury player. If we had brought in an Aneke replacement, in addition to Healey and another decent attacking mid, then we could start looking at the likes of Dickenson, Mason and Bowery.

So it's not complete bollocks, in fact it's not any level of bollocks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:51 pm 

Even the statement weren’t needed is complete bollocks as you don’t actually know what they offer as both have been laid up so far.

If something can click with a different style we may be ok, we may not but we can’t write him off having not kicked a ball in competitive action, it’s bollocks.

By all accounts Dickenson showed some decent delivery last night. Would certainly say that is needed and would imagine that’s definitely good enough.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:35 pm 

rosie47 wrote:
you can look back in our entire history and i don't think you'll find many signings with the same profile of young age, ability to make an immediate impact and future potential to be worth a significant amount of money as healey and boateng.

reeves and poole should be very good players in this division and dickenson is interesting. we've not seen mason and bowery looks fine for what he is, which is a backup.

i'm tired of the idea that we should just be racing up to the championship as fast as we can and think about what we're going to do when we get there later. it went so well last time.

tisdale has his faults but i think he's done a considerable amount over the past couple of years to set this club up to be on a sustainable upwards curve, even if we don't shoot straight up into another promotion race this season.

This with bells on. Really nice to her to read such a balanced and realistic post Rosie.
As regards Dickenson. Well I would suggest people wait and see before talking him down. If he performs like he did when playing against us last season there will be a few people eating their words come next May.
If you think we have no need of a left sided player athletic enough to get up and down the pitch then "luxury signing" might be appropriate. Otherwise ....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:03 am 

Don’t understand how Dickenson isn’t needed when this forum has cried out for a fast Lewington replacement.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:21 am 

Location: .... In SG19 ..... APL Champion 2017/18 Betting Champion 2019/20 Power of 3 Champion 2017/18 + 19/20
Towcestrian wrote:
How is Dickenson and Mason not good enough when you’ve barely seen them?
I am disappointed as well we didn’t bring anymore in but some of this is complete bollocks.
Dad_Of_A_Don wrote:
I think that is far too harsh on Dickenson and Mason at this stage. Bowery cannot replace Aneke, but that is harsh on him as no player in L1 can. Walker barely counts - a very low cost third keeper retainer set-up that covers us in emergencies with no harm that I can see.

So that is one negative (Bowery for Aneke) out of eight ins, as far as I am concerned (I am also more positive than you on Poole and certainly dont see him as a "luxury"). Plus our top scorer re-signed.
THRILLHO wrote:
Still managed to score 15 goals so far this season. Id argue attacking threat might not be the issue so far this season. If we can get the defensive side settled and key players back we will be fine in achieving a reasonable objective for a promoted side enduring a turbulent few years in consolidating and avoiding an immediate return to league 2.

Also regarding the loan system. Smart move by tis not panicking and signing more. Our squad is plenty big enough, we've done plenty of business. Need to let this did settle and gauge where we are come January and respond to that with transfer activity. Saving some in the kitty I assume, letting this squad find its feet and develop and giving us wiggle room to assess any changes we need to make in January is smart and brave.

Weve got some good young players, makes sense not to starve their route to first team football by throwing money at other teams youngsters.

The bipolar bedwetters will be over excited again when we beat afc. Then quickly forgotten like the epic win against Lincoln, the team many get a hard on for here.
Towcestrian wrote:
Even the statement weren’t needed is complete bollocks as you don’t actually know what they offer as both have been laid up so far.

If something can click with a different style we may be ok, we may not but we can’t write him off having not kicked a ball in competitive action, it’s bollocks.

By all accounts Dickenson showed some decent delivery last night. Would certainly say that is needed and would imagine that’s definitely good enough.
TomMac&Ernie wrote:
rosie47 wrote:

This with bells on. Really nice to her to read such a balanced and realistic post Rosie.
As regards Dickenson. Well I would suggest people wait and see before talking him down. If he performs like he did when playing against us last season there will be a few people eating their words come next May.
If you think we have no need of a left sided player athletic enough to get up and down the pitch then "luxury signing" might be appropriate. Otherwise ....
Alby wrote:
Don’t understand how Dickenson isn’t needed when this forum has cried out for a fast Lewington replacement.
These.

21/22 26 11 _9 89 LM 3rd

05/06 12 14 20 50 DW 22nd R
22/23 11 12 23 45 lm/MJ 21st R
17/18 11 12 23 45 rn/DM 23rd R
15/16 _9 12 25 39 KR 23rd R

LS: A rocky start, that's all it is.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:02 am 

Alby wrote:

Hey Alby. This really is going to have to stop. These days we seem to do nothing but agree.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:16 am 

TomMac&Ernie wrote:
Alby wrote:

Hey Alby. This really is going to have to stop. These days we seem to do nothing but agree.

Okay I’ll make fake opinions so we can disagree ;)

Apparently.

UTF

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33