THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 33  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:10 pm 

Towcestrian wrote:
Alby wrote:
As many centre backs as possible after last seasons mess. Can’t ever have too many.

This. Especially as JMT and Walsh are definitely guaranteed to have a couple of months out during the season.

We have 6 first team centre backs, its easily enough - JMT, Cargill, Martin, Poole, Williams, Walsh. Its hard enough to choose with 4 of these are going to sit on the bench in we play 4-4-2.

Houghton and Lewington can also step in if required.

Really think we should be focusing all wages on our attack, which is currently the weakest part of the squad.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:23 pm 

Bill wrote:
Don Direction wrote:
Filthy wrote:
I have no issue with another CB either as long as:

a) they're capable enough to fill-in and not just a squad number. If the likes of JMT, Cargill, Martin, Walsh etc get injured we need someone close to their level to step up and not an Ebanks-Landell/Wootton/Downing type - otherwise it might as well be an academy defender that fills in.

and

b) it's not at the expense of a good forward/Aneke replacement if this CB demands decent wages - there was an interview with Exeter's manager talking about how they would have to get rid of a couple of players to meet Brown's wage demands suggesting he wouldn't be cheap.

So you want someone who's really good but cheap. Don't we all? Sadly one tends to rule out the other.

Not just good and cheap, but willing to sit on the Subs bench for most of the season

Yes. But that's what the paid, professional scouts/recruitment department are for. Also, I said "close enough" and "capable" not necessarily "as good as".

If we can't meet those two factors its not worth the risk considering we have Williams, Cargill, Poole, Walsh, Martin, JMT all very good at CB as well as others that can fill in there like Houghton or Boateng if needed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:43 pm 

LouisMKD wrote:
Towcestrian wrote:
Alby wrote:
As many centre backs as possible after last seasons mess. Can’t ever have too many.

This. Especially as JMT and Walsh are definitely guaranteed to have a couple of months out during the season.

We have 6 first team centre backs, its easily enough - JMT, Cargill, Martin, Poole, Williams, Walsh. Its hard enough to choose with 4 of these are going to sit on the bench in we play 4-4-2.

Houghton and Lewington can also step in if required.

Really think we should be focusing all wages on our attack, which is currently the weakest part of the squad.

Last season we had JMT, Cargill, Martin, Baudry, Williams, Walsh and were absolutely crippled in defence during January and February.

Houghton struggled in that role, unless playing the shite sides and Lewie it seems doesn't play there.

We have no idea where we are on the budget. Would think it's likely we have plenty of headroom.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:48 am 

The squad absolutely needs at least two attacking players but preferably three and one left back as Lewie still appears to be the only viable option there. We will not have a good season with the midfield and attack we have now and as soon as it becomes apparent we cant score the defence will come under more pressure and crumble (as it was in the Championship season).

I don’t want to be sat at Stadium MK next year thinking if they score it’s game over it is a terrible way to view a game and leads to a poor atmosphere as everyone is to on edge to support.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:55 am 

MKAylesburyDon wrote:
The squad absolutely needs at least two attacking players but preferably three and one left back as Lewie still appears to be the only viable option there. We will not have a good season with the midfield and attack we have now and as soon as it becomes apparent we cant score the defence will come under more pressure and crumble (as it was in the Championship season).

I don’t want to be sat at Stadium MK next year thinking if they score it’s game over it is a terrible way to view a game and leads to a poor atmosphere as everyone is to on edge to support.

Dickenson will cover for Lewie in the unlikely event he gets injured. He’s played all down the left flank throughout his career. Also, we’ve got Walsh & Cargill who are both options. I’d say we’re pretty well served with lefties defensively.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:01 am 

Camdenite wrote:
MKAylesburyDon wrote:

Dickenson will cover for Lewie in the unlikely event he gets injured. He’s played all down the left flank throughout his career. Also, we’ve got Walsh & Cargill who are both options. I’d say we’re pretty well served with lefties defensively.

If Dickenson is playing left back who is left mid/attack? Harley would be the option and the reason we need cover, as for Walsh and Cargill left of a three yes, left back no

Players can fill in but it really weakens the team i.e. McGrandles/Watson etc at right wing back last season

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:13 am 

MKAylesburyDon wrote:

If Dickenson is playing left back who is left mid/attack? Harley would be the option and the reason we need cover, as for Walsh and Cargill left of a three yes, left back no

Players can fill in but it really weakens the team i.e. McGrandles/Watson etc at right wing back last season

Fair point, but I didn’t disagree with you stating we need two more attacking players (one of which should be capable of playing wide left in a three if that’s how we set up).

Anyway, wait until our fans get a glimpse of Sorinola. All the teenage fan boys will be clamouring for him to start every game. ;) Very exciting to watch and every inch the modern attacking wing back. This season will probably be too soon for him to establish himself as serious competition, but the lad’s a superb prospect.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:30 am 

I have been watching Matthew for the past 2 seasons. At only about 5 feet tall and slightly built you would get the impression that he is too small for a footballer. However, he tackles strongly, has a great strike of the ball, and is going to be a top player.
I predict in 2 years Tottenham will be taking an interest in him.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:31 am 

Don gal wrote:
I have been watching Matthew for the past 2 seasons. At only about 5 feet tall and slightly built you would get the impression that he is too small for a footballer. However, he tackles strongly, has a great strike of the ball, and is going to be a top player.
I predict in 2 years Tottenham will be taking an interest in him.

I've only seen glimpses of him but from the little I saw he really stood out and I'm happy he got a pro deal.

Saying that, I thought Liam Sole looked good in pre-season last year and he didn't last long :?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:03 am 

Filthy wrote:
Bill wrote:
Don Direction wrote:
Filthy wrote:
I have no issue with another CB either as long as:

a) they're capable enough to fill-in and not just a squad number. If the likes of JMT, Cargill, Martin, Walsh etc get injured we need someone close to their level to step up and not an Ebanks-Landell/Wootton/Downing type - otherwise it might as well be an academy defender that fills in.

and

b) it's not at the expense of a good forward/Aneke replacement if this CB demands decent wages - there was an interview with Exeter's manager talking about how they would have to get rid of a couple of players to meet Brown's wage demands suggesting he wouldn't be cheap.

So you want someone who's really good but cheap. Don't we all? Sadly one tends to rule out the other.

Not just good and cheap, but willing to sit on the Subs bench for most of the season

Yes. But that's what the paid, professional scouts/recruitment department are for. Also, I said "close enough" and "capable" not necessarily "as good as".

If we can't meet those two factors its not worth the risk considering we have Williams, Cargill, Poole, Walsh, Martin, JMT all very good at CB as well as others that can fill in there like Houghton or Boateng if needed.

I agree its not worth getting someone if they aren't good enough, but the problem is if they were good enough then they would be able to get 1st team action somewhere else. Thats why we need to grow them either from our academy or by bringing in a good prospect from Non-League and getting them to be good enough

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 33  Next