THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:59 am 

Camdenite wrote:
I’ve wondered about the “over-training” for some time now. Glad it’s been bought up.

There was a very revealing comment from Shrewsbury’s manager a couple of weeks back about training the team very lightly. He said he had to do that in order to play the high press and high tempo they’d employed this season. They simply couldn’t expect to play the way they did if they were working too hard in training.

There’s always more than one way to skin a cat, but the energy levels are nowhere near where they should be for this team. Something fundamental isn’t right, and the training regime seems as good a place to start as any.

On the actual coaching side (with the ball) there also seems to be far less effective combinations on the pitch than we are used to seeing. No matter how much some moaned about some of the “Robbo-ball” football being predictable, it was those rehearsed and well-drilled routines that gave us a tactical platform in games. i.e. Potter drops deep and collects from Martin, then every player in our side knew where they should be at that precise moment. You then worked around individual moments of quick thinking opportunism to to put the opposition on the back foot. That someone doesn’t happen any more. No-one knowswhere teammmates are going to be and that’s led to many (but not all) of the “individual mistakes” that Robbie is putting the blame on. They’re not individual mistakes, they’re as a result of players not having the security of knowing teammates could be relied upon to be in set positions.

Very interesting article on Paul Hurst’s approach to things on taking over at Shrewsbury.
In particular, and picking up on the well rehearsed and well drilled routines under Robbo and the situation now:
“Before all that, Hurst's first job was to keep the club in the division. He would not be able to wait until the January window to make an impact. At first, he focused on getting players fitter and rebuilding confidence. His preferred 4-4-2 formation was tricky to implement with the club's only genuine winger injured but he decided to keep the message simple.

"They'd had a lot of changes in the previous 15 games in looking to find something that worked," says Hurst. "I knew from speaking to them that they were not sure what they would be doing from game to game because they were changing for the opposition. I think it was a relief for them to get the message that this is us and this is what we do."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... to-the-top

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:08 am 

It's always difficult to judge when the time is right.
Do we give him more time? (and things start to turn around)
Or do we get rid of, in time to get a manager in before the transfer window?

Well how about this - Robbie to go now, and Deano to take temporary charge for a couple of weeks?

Gives Pete time to look for a new manager, and gives DL time to make his case.
Whichever, the new appointment can be in place well before Xmas.
I actually think we don't need too many, if any, new faces in January. We've got enough quality to be doing much better.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:14 am 

Steampunk Don wrote:
It's always difficult to judge when the time is right.
Do we give him more time? (and things start to turn around)
Or do we get rid of, in time to get a manager in before the transfer window?

Well how about this - Robbie to go now, and Deano to take temporary charge for a couple of weeks?

Gives Pete time to look for a new manager, and gives DL time to make his case.
Whichever, the new appointment can be in place well before Xmas.
I actually think we don't need too many, if any, new faces in January. We've got enough quality to be doing much better.

I can't see Lewie being made temporary manager, Ed Rubio is a more likely choice, although if Dean or Martin Allen was assistant, I can't see the players giving less than 100%. :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:54 pm 

Lewie as manager? I really like the sound of that. Would be a typical bold move from Winkie, but also one that's probably really cheap.

It's a shame we don't still have Alan Smith, I wonder if he's available?

Last edited by BristolDon on Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:11 pm 

don't always agree with this guy but you can't say it's not interesting, well-written stuff. a lot better than what the local media serves up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:24 pm 

Would love to see Lewie in charge ,even if we don't win at least there would be passion and pride in our play something we see anymore
All we won't is a team of Lewingtons!!!!!!!!!!!