THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:27 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:
More evidence that football under Neilson this season is driving people away....

Average home attendance
2016/17: 10,307
2017/18: 9,062 (so far) down 12%

Average away travelling support
2016/17: 463
2017/18: 332 (so far) down 28.2%

Comparing the same fixtures - home (home fans only)

Note: Comparing identical games with the same kickoff times on the same day. I've also put the club's league position prior to the game so there is no argument of saying that we were in a much better position the previous season.

2016/17 v Rochdale (3pm Sat kickoff) (Dons 14th in the table) - 10,200
2017/18 v Rochdale (3pm Sat kickoff) (Dons 15th in the table) - 7,409 down 27.3%

2016/17 v Oxford United (3pm Sat kickoff) (Dons 15th in the table) - 8,448
2017/18 v Oxford United - (3pm Sat kickoff) (Dons 20th in the table) - 7,822 down 7.4%

2016/17 v Gillingham (3pm Sat kickoff) (Dons 15th in the table) - 8,157
2017/18 v Gillingham (3pm Sat kickoff) (Dons 20th in the table) - 7,318 down 10.3%

Comparing the same fixtures - away
Note: Aside from Bristol Rovers, all the other away fixtures aren't comparable (e.g. one was a sat kickoff, the other a tuesday evening kickoff).

2016/17 v Bristol Rovers (3pm Sat kickoff) (Dons 21st in the table) - 291
2017/18 v Bristol Rovers (3pm Sat kickoff) (Dons 15th in the table) - 225 down 22.6%

Observations
- Home attendances (home fan numbers only) are massively down for comparable fixtures playing at 3pm on a Saturday.
- Even when we were in the relegation zone we took 20% more supporters to Bristol Rovers for a 3pm Saturday kickoff, whilst on a similarly bad run.

Conclusion
With league position the same or similar in comparable fixtures, as well as the same day of the week and the same fixture time, the blame can only be on the style of football/entertainment factor. Even when we were in the relegation zone in November last season, without a permanent manager but playing KR/Barker's more entertaining style of football, we still attracted 20% more fans to a Saturday away game against Bristol Rovers.

I’v Said before filthy your skills are wasted on here, wonder if the club has someone that can analyse things like you do.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:57 pm 

Gers wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:
Gers wrote:
My attitude now... Fuck it, it's only a game.

Wish it was easy to adopt that attitude. There are probably far more productive things I could do with my time.

You'll find it liberating. My garden has never looked so good. In-fact, rather than listening to yesterday's match on the wireless I spent an entirely enjoyable hour in the aforementioned garden.

I don't go for the club at the heart of the community nonsense. It's a football club. Some folk go, some folk don't.

I was the same; went for a nice cycle ride in the crisp Autumn air. Previously I'd have my phone app on to alert me to the score. Nah. Didn't bother.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:32 pm 

Gers wrote:
That may be only me. I was far too wrapped up in the whole thing. It wasn't good for my mental health, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I had a breakdown of sorts. Not entirely to do with the Dons, but it didn't help.

My attitude now... Fuck it, it's only a game.

Well said that man. However much we love it that's all it is. Just a game.
Why should anyone accept poor football? No reason at all.
However accepting that it's going to happen..well that's a different story altogether.
Take a leaf out of Gers book and stop taking it all so seriously.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:48 pm 

Good analysis again Filthy, I noticed the attendances were dropping some time ago and mentioned it on the old forum but some guy "Mooies Love Child" swore black was white, and the official attendance figures were somehow wrong (but never could factually explain why). Attendances are down. Fact. Due to the crap style of play coached by RN.

I've stopped going to away and cup games, I'd rather not financially affect the club, but away in particular is a very big expense for my family and its just not worth the expense with RN's set up with zero entertainment factor and a miserable drive home. I think Andy Cullen and Pete will be forced to do something sooner rather than later as were losing fans, average ~20% in less than a year is shocking. Even worse will be ST renewal time, who would renew to watch yet more of the current dross?? I'd go to home games through thick and thin (and have done) but my other family members wont.