THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:45 pm 

It won't be a universally held view on here for sure, but I just have an instinctive feeling that Nielson will come good. Members of a certain age will recall that this dramatic change in fortune sometimes happens in football - Ferguson had virtually walked the plank just before a Mark Hughes goal saved his time at Manky U, for instance.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:49 pm 

Think you might be right. Keep the faith!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:41 am 

familymkdonsfan wrote:
It won't be a universally held view on here for sure, but I just have an instinctive feeling that Nielson will come good. Members of a certain age will recall that this dramatic change in fortune sometimes happens in football - Ferguson had virtually walked the plank just before a Mark Hughes goal saved his time at Manky U, for instance.

I would like to think you are right but sadly I just can’t see it. There isn’t the faintest of light at the end of the tunnel.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:42 am 
Think you've forgotten to put your clock back

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:43 am 

FilthyDon wrote:
Think you've forgotten to put your clock back

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:51 am 

You could be right but it is as dark as a black cat in a coal cellar, at midnight and the light isn't working at the moment. :(

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:02 am 

familymkdonsfan wrote:

I've been fully behind him, but there are clearly selection issues or we don't have the players to play how he wants. All I can put what we're watching down to is that he has a game plan in his head which relies heavily on Sow being both fit and available. I'm not really fussed about promotion or even losing a fair number of games, but we need to at least look like we're capable of competing and scoring. I've said all along he needs until at least this time next season, and short of us going down I stick to that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:52 am 

Otterspocket wrote:
I've been fully behind him, but there are clearly selection issues or we don't have the players to play how he wants. All I can put what we're watching down to is that he has a game plan in his head which relies heavily on Sow being both fit and available. I'm not really fussed about promotion or even losing a fair number of games, but we need to at least look like we're capable of competing and scoring. I've said all along he needs until at least this time next season, and short of us going down I stick to that.

He really doesn’t get that long in my view. The days of taking a long term view are gone at this level. Squads nowadays, with their heavy reliance upon loans in key areas, and with the majority of the squad on two year deals maximum, mean you get one shot at getting it right, before you’re having to re-build the team again.

Every season as a manager at this level you’re looking at a re-build, or paying escalating wages to keep the key performers you already have. I’m sure the Robbie team we’re watching in a years time will be very different to the one we’re watching now in terms of personnel. Therefore to me any arguments about “it’s a slow build”, “he needs time to get it right” are redundant. You hit the ground running (and he did last season) and get it right from day one or you’ll be constantly fire-fighting over the squad and re-building.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:12 pm 
Camdenite wrote:

He really doesn’t get that long in my view. The days of taking a long term view are gone at this level. Squads nowadays, with their heavy reliance upon loans in key areas, and with the majority of the squad on two year deals maximum, mean you get one shot at getting it right, before you’re having to re-build the team again.

Think this is exactly what all those people who claim managers at this level need a year or more to get results need to realise.

There is no "time to build" at this level - player turnover is so high in general. Key players come and go each season. We have FOUR loanees who are pretty much guaranteed starters under Neilson this season (Ebanks-Landell, Golbourne, Tshibola, Ariyibi), none of whom will be here next season.

On top of that, we have a 3 other first team players out of contract soon - Upson, Brittain, Wootton and I would say it's pretty likely we'll lose at least 2 of them. That's 6-7 pretty much guaranteed starting 11 players potentially gone, so not going to be part of long term plans.

At this level, if you're given a full season, you have to get it right that first full season - just like KR did when he got the job and got the playoffs 2 seasons running. He didn't need "time to build".

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:45 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:
On top of that, we have a 3 other first team players out of contract soon - Upson, Brittain, Wootton and I would say it's pretty likely we'll lose at least 2 of them. That's 6-7 pretty much guaranteed starting 11 players potentially gone, so not going to be part of long term plans.

At this level, if you're given a full season, you have to get it right that first full season - just like KR did when he got the job and got the playoffs 2 seasons running. He didn't need "time to build".

You missed Nicholls from that list. ;) He’ll be another “considering his options” right now.

The other factor in underperforming the way we have is that even players we have who are contracted longer did so on the basis that there was a possibility of promotion to come. What we have currently is not what Chuks, Gilbey, Walsh, Sow et al signed up for. If they don’t believe promotion is realistic they’ll, be looking to move on and very quickly.