THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Booo...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:18 pm 

dons50 wrote:
If I did decent due diligence and recruited someone with a good track record and he had a bad start, I would definitely give him (or her) sufficient time to make the job a success.

So much this.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:20 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
dons50 wrote:
If I did decent due diligence and recruited someone with a good track record and he had a bad start, I would definitely give him (or her) sufficient time to make the job a success.

So much this.

I guess it's a question of when does a bad start just become being bad at the job?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:21 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
donmentor wrote:
I would normally agree with this, but I think the players he has bought in so far are basically quite capable of winning us games. My concern is that RN does not seem to be able to motivate them to combine as a team. I have to admit I am becoming a little less confident in his abilities as an English League manager.

I rarely agree with this chap but this is bang on. Especially the understated tone.

RN will go - but not quite yet.

It's always worrying when I find myself agreeing with donmentor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:27 pm 

BristolDon wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
dons50 wrote:

So much this.

I guess it's a question of when does a bad start just become being bad at the job?

Yes, absolutely.

I really get why everyone is pissed of and why they want him out. But if he goes now, his head coach (Mr Anonymous) will be caretaker. That will likely be worse.

So... leave him in place. Give him a decent chance turn it around. In parallel, PW needs to look at other options. If RN performs a miracle, good for him, good for us. If he doesn't, he goes, at a time of Pete's choosing, with someone better lined up.

Today is NOT the time. Calm the fuck down.

(It won't be long though!)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:33 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
BristolDon wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
dons50 wrote:

So much this.

Yes, absolutely.

I really get why everyone is pissed of and why they want him out. But if he goes now, his head coach (Mr Anonymous) will be caretaker. That will likely be worse.

So... leave him in place. Give him a decent chance turn it around. In parallel, PW needs to look at other options. If RN performs a miracle, good for him, good for us. If he doesn't, he goes, at a time of Pete's choosing, with someone better lined up.

2 assumptions there:
1) Pete isn't already looking at options. I'm hoping he's learnt from the Robbo scenario and could be looking at options already (possibly looking at other options since day 1, just in case Neilson decided to pack it in etc.)
2) The caretaker will likely be worse. Why would it be his head coach? A lot of people want Rubio for the next manager (I don't know enough about him to make an informed decision), but why not give him the caretaker job to try him out? Or maybe bring in an interim manager (which might be easier to find than a new long term one) while we search for a new proper manager. Why would either of these be worse than Neilson?

Perhaps I haven't been clear, in no way would I want Pete to wield the axe without having thought about succession planning. But I'd like to think a clever business man would learn from experience and have options available to him. And if he doesn't, then he really does need to start finding some.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:39 pm 

BristolDon wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
BristolDon wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
dons50 wrote:

So much this.

Yes, absolutely.

2 assumptions there:
1) Pete isn't already looking at options. I'm hoping he's learnt from the Robbo scenario and could be looking at options already (possibly looking at other options since day 1, just in case Neilson decided to pack it in etc.)
2) The caretaker will likely be worse. Why would it be his head coach? A lot of people want Rubio for the next manager (I don't know enough about him to make an informed decision), but why not give him the caretaker job to try him out? Or maybe bring in an interim manager (which might be easier to find than a new long term one) while we search for a new proper manager. Why would either of these be worse than Neilson?

Perhaps I haven't been clear, in no way would I want Pete to wield the axe without having thought about succession planning. But I'd like to think a clever business man would learn from experience and have options available to him. And if he doesn't, then he really does need to start finding some.

Good points actually. But bottom line, Pete took AGES finding RN and then made a big song and dance about what a coupe it was to get this 'highly rated manager' (TBF he WAS highly rated - football, like business and economics, suffers from pretty shallow analysis). I don't think his ego will allow him to say "I was wrong; he's gone baby, solid gone".

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:42 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
I don't think his ego will allow him to say "I was wrong; he's gone baby, solid gone".

You're right. No self-respecting business man would use the Carter family quotes in a public press conference

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:43 pm 

BristolDon wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
I don't think his ego will allow him to say "I was wrong; he's gone baby, solid gone".

You're right. No self-respecting business man would use the Carter family quotes in a public press conference

I was quoting Baloo... 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:44 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
BristolDon wrote:
keyser soze wrote:

I was quoting Baloo... 8-)

Touche

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:20 pm 

keyser soze wrote:

Am in full agreement with this. One thing though; no Chairman is going to allow PW to speak to their manager on-spec during the playing season and I can't imagine PW is doing the unethical thing by approaching other managers behind their Chairman's (or Neilson's) back. So how would he know if a targeted manager would want to join us? Of course the other alternative is employ some unemployed failure no one else wants!
Neilson has signed some good players but they are not yet playing as a team. Too many are making simple errors as with the usually reliable Upson today, so it is not all the manager's fault.
So many on here are bleating as much as Man U fans did before Ferguson came good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next