THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:01 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:13 am 

I've touched on this in my APL report, but felt it deserved a thread of its own.
Now while this subject has been raised before, but I think in different circumstances regarding us getting whipped and people leaving early, yesterday left me astonished.
At the 90 minute mark after picking our arses off the floor after a dreadful display of defending and pulling it back to 4-4, with the Don's crowd in full voice, Oldham shell shocked and hanging on, people got up and walked out, some I noted not even bothering to linger at the top of the stairs and look back at what could have been the most incredible comeback since Lazarus.
It makes me wonder WTF they are even doing there, is their time so precious, that a 10 minute wait in the car park was such an inconvenience than witnessing what could have been something so memorable.

On a slightly different note, were the ticket prices reduced for the FFD, if so I would suggest that the club should explore the Bradford businesss plan of sell em cheap, stack em high, as the atmos was far improved from anything else this season.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:18 am 

90 minutes some near me left after the 3rd goal. Didnt come back after HT so i assume left. I agree about the ticket prices though should be cheaper to get more families in.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:33 am 

WellDon wrote:
I've touched on this in my APL report, but felt it deserved a thread of its own.
Now while this subject has been raised before, but I think in different circumstances regarding us getting whipped and people leaving early, yesterday left me astonished.
At the 90 minute mark after picking our arses off the floor after a dreadful display of defending and pulling it back to 4-4, with the Don's crowd in full voice, Oldham shell shocked and hanging on, people got up and walked out, some I noted not even bothering to linger at the top of the stairs and look back at what could have been the most incredible comeback since Lazarus.
It makes me wonder WTF they are even doing there, is their time so precious, that a 10 minute wait in the car park was such an inconvenience than witnessing what could have been something so memorable.

On a slightly different note, were the ticket prices reduced for the FFD, if so I would suggest that the club should explore the Bradford businesss plan of sell em cheap, stack em high, as the atmos was far improved from anything else this season.

Spot on mate. :ugeek:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:36 am 

It’s Milton Keynes where the car is king and getting on the road is the obsession of most people.

Also, it was pointed out years ago that many drift up the stands and watch the injury time on the concourse in order to be ahead of queue. Something unique about our ground you can do very little about. I’ve done it myself when I know we’ve had a dash to catch a late train back on on Tuesday night. Doesn’t mean I’m going to miss a 95th minute winner though.

In respect of Bradford, we’re miles away from having the sort of lapsed support that would make it economically viable. You’re forgetting the Bolton game last season where theoretically 250,000 people could have had free tickets. What did we increase our gate by on the day? Seven or eight thousand, I believe.. that shows the level of support in the town. Nothing to be ashamed of, in respect of our peers, but a long way from being a “one club” town or city, like Bradford.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:39 am 

I was going to leave on 70. Didn't. Then 80. Didn't. Then 85. Didn't.
Ultimately I was glad I stayed.
I have four horses, and we're looking after another at the moment. That's five. That's a whole lot of work. Perhaps those who left early have six or seven horses to muck out.

Won't someone please think of the horses!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:57 am 

Just as an aside, has anyone else witnessed the huge numbers (must have been 200+ last night) of Manchester City fans exiting CMK station at about 8pm on a Saturday night? Now before you all shout “Glory Hunters, Who Did You Used To Support” etc. it appears that they are all relocated Network Rail staff who take advantage of free travel up to Manchester for every home game. They all must have free parking too as they all turned left and headed to the site of the old NHS. ;)

I’d love to know what these arrangements they have are as someone who’s subsiding their travel and trying to get to Manchester a week on Friday for under £80!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:00 am 

Gers wrote:
I have four horses, and we're looking after another at the moment. That's five. That's a whole lot of work. Perhaps those who left early have six or seven horses to muck out.

There were also one or two donkeys on the pitch but they can muck themselves out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:16 am 

Camdenite wrote:
It’s Milton Keynes where the car is king and getting on the road is the obsession of most people.

Also, it was pointed out years ago that many drift up the stands and watch the injury time on the concourse in order to be ahead of queue. Something unique about our ground you can do very little about. I’ve done it myself when I know we’ve had a dash to catch a late train back on on Tuesday night. Doesn’t mean I’m going to miss a 95th minute winner though.

In respect of Bradford, we’re miles away from having the sort of lapsed support that would make it economically viable. You’re forgetting the Bolton game last season where theoretically 250,000 people could have had free tickets. What did we increase our gate by on the day? Seven or eight thousand, I believe.. that shows the level of support in the town. Nothing to be ashamed of, in respect of our peers, but a long way from being a “one club” town or city, like Bradford.

It's a simple formula compare number of tickets x price per ticket at current price verses number of tickets x price per ticket at a lower price. I suspect the former is larger than the latter.

My kids go for £20 a season with a free shirt, how much cheaper do people want?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:30 am 

Camdenite wrote:
Just as an aside, has anyone else witnessed the huge numbers (must have been 200+ last night) of Manchester City fans exiting CMK station at about 8pm on a Saturday night? Now before you all shout “Glory Hunters, Who Did You Used To Support” etc. it appears that they are all relocated Network Rail staff who take advantage of free travel up to Manchester for every home game. They all must have free parking too as they all turned left and headed to the site of the old NHS. ;)

I’d love to know what these arrangements they have are as someone who’s subsiding their travel and trying to get to Manchester a week on Friday for under £80!

Prepared to be wrong about this, but as far as I'm aware NR staff don't get Priv rate or free travel on any TOCs (outside of season tickets). The number of City fans can also be attributed to the young uns of MK now treating City as my generation did Liverpool and Man U.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:36 am 

Otterspocket wrote:
Prepared to be wrong about this, but as far as I'm aware NR staff don't get Priv rate or free travel on any TOCs (outside of season tickets). The number of City fans can also be attributed to the young uns of MK now treating City as my generation did Liverpool and Man U.

As I stated they ALL headed towards the Network Rail building on exiting the station. Defintely staff.

Point granted about kids following City, but that doesn’t account for the sort of numbers I witnessed.

I would hazard a guess free travel was a sweetener offered to those relocating from Manchester. I know if I had a strong union behind me and I was told my job was moving 200 miles south then I’d be looking for such fringe benefits to be on the table. :lol: