THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Rangers Vacancy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:26 pm 

My father first took me to Ibrox over 50yrs ago. Kilmarnock. We won.
I've followed them ever since. That's half a century.

MK is a massive step up at the minute. Scottish football is in a massive decline. Witness how Celtic get on when they play in Europe.

My cousin supports Kilmarnock, average support 4000. He thinks Muirhead is a great player. That's the standard of Scotland at the minute.

Neilson would be an idiot to go back.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:57 pm 

Gers wrote:
My father first took me to Ibrox over 50yrs ago. Kilmarnock. We won.
I've followed them ever since. That's half a century.

MK is a massive step up at the minute. Scottish football is in a massive decline. Witness how Celtic get on when they play in Europe.

My cousin supports Kilmarnock, average support 4000. He thinks Muirhead is a great player. That's the standard of Scotland at the minute.

Neilson would be an idiot to go back.

You are right about the decline in the quality and attendances in Scottish football. I remember going to see Queens Park (Then an amateur side whose home ground was Hampden) for a Division 2 game against Kilmarnock. Both teams were challenging for promotion that day and the attendance was 30,000!!! Unlikely ever to be repeated.
Agree also that Neilson has a better chance to further his career staying where he is - even though many comments on this Forum would suggest otherwise!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:09 pm 

I get that Scottish football has declined, but Rangers is still miles ahead of MK Dons. People in the running for the job include David Moyes, Sam Allardyce and Alex McLeish. Would these names be linked to MK?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:40 pm 

dons50 wrote:
I get that Scottish football has declined, but Rangers is still miles ahead of MK Dons. People in the running for the job include David Moyes, Sam Allardyce and Alex McLeish. Would these names be linked to MK?

No. But these are all managers who are unemployed, have worked at the top level and now have somewhat tarnished records. They have nothing to lose by going to Rangers and would hope to restore their reputations. Neilson on the other hand is slowly trying to build a reputation and has everything to lose by going there.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:38 pm 

LinsladeDon wrote:
dons50 wrote:

No. But these are all managers who are unemployed, have worked at the top level and now have somewhat tarnished records. They have nothing to lose by going to Rangers and would hope to restore their reputations. Neilson on the other hand is slowly trying to build a reputation and has everything to lose by going there.

This. David Moyes, Sam Allardyce and Alex McLeish will never manage top 10 Prem league teams again. Robbie obviously hopes he will.

Good luck with that Robbie, by the way. Remember : League 1 ain't so bad. The schools are good here in MK and the weather's much better than Scottishland.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:56 am 

keyser soze wrote:
LinsladeDon wrote:
dons50 wrote:

This. David Moyes, Sam Allardyce and Alex McLeish will never manage top 10 Prem league teams again. Robbie obviously hopes he will.

Good luck with that Robbie, by the way. Remember : League 1 ain't so bad. The schools are good here in MK and the weather's much better than Scottishland.

The Scotch education system was at one time thought to be of a much higher standard. Hence 'the benefit of a Scottish education'. I'm living proof of that.

The feeling from the more thoughtful Bears is that what's needed now is a 'statement' manager. Most folk in Glasgow will honestly tell you that Celtic's best signing was Rodgers.

Still think that McInnes will be the man. But having said that, good luck to whoever gets it, a total basket case if ever there was one. Perhaps those wishing for Winkelman to sell up should look at the last six or seven years in Govan, and see what happens when genuinely dodgy businessmen get their hands on a once great club.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:32 am 

Gers wrote:

Think how MK would get on if we played in Europe at the moment!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:52 am 

Gers wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
LinsladeDon wrote:
dons50 wrote:

The Scotch education system was at one time thought to be of a much higher standard. Hence 'the benefit of a Scottish education'. I'm living proof of that.

The feeling from the more thoughtful Bears is that what's needed now is a 'statement' manager. Most folk in Glasgow will honestly tell you that Celtic's best signing was Rodgers.

Still think that McInnes will be the man. But having said that, good luck to whoever gets it, a total basket case if ever there was one. Perhaps those wishing for Winkelman to sell up should look at the last six or seven years in Govan, and see what happens when genuinely dodgy businessmen get their hands on a once great club.

I once had some dealings with a guy called David Holmes who is an ex chairman of Rangers. Very interesting and charismatic guy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:56 am 

keyser soze wrote:
LinsladeDon wrote:
dons50 wrote:

But on the plus side don’t they have no university fees? Stunning scenery, no where near as much traffic, cheaper to live, less pollution etc. Used to love going to Scotland when I was driving for a living. Downside is the kranky they have in charge.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:58 am 

Gers wrote:
And The Daily Record list. Makes some interesting, if deluded, reading.

Interesting...
Frank de Boer. No better than who they’ve just sacked, and could be worse.
Walter Smith. I didn’t realise he was still alive.
Graham Souness. Left management behind many years ago.
Derek McInnes. (Favourite) Never heard of him.
Alex MacLeish. Prefers the Scotland job.
Alex Neil. Has ‘Neil’ in his surname, which shows pedigree.
Graham Murty. Heard the name but that’s all.
Billy Reid. Never heard of him.
Robbie Neilson!!! You never know, but he’s come down to England to progress his career, why would he go back up to another Scottish also-ran? (Sorry Gers, nothing personal, but that’s how everyone bar Celtic looks from here these days)