THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: fear factor
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:41 pm 

are we now becoming one of the feared teams to play in league 2, the way we are defending and also now attacking must surely put opposition teams into feeling a bit intimidated.

The Exeter fans were saying we would get bored with Tisdales defensive style, it’s nothing like that in reality the offensive side of our game is really good and can get better, exciting times ahead me thinks

Post subject: Re: fear factor
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:10 am 

I agree, exciting times ahead.

It's a weird one because we were pretty much always top half league one 2009-15, we are the franchise and have a fancy stadium we were always 'a team to beat'. Which could intimidate teams but also get them more motivated.

As Tisdale keeps saying we're doing well but got to keep going and improving. It's still only November

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:21 am 

Definite sense that we are one of the top teams and to be feared. But no surprise...the bookies had us favourites to win L2 at the start of the season. What has been the main factor is how well PT has got our defence well drilled and working as an effective unit.

I also reckon most others in L2 - managers, fans etc - regard Chuks as the best player in the league.

We have come a long way since the RN/DM days, at the turn of 2018 :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:23 am 

I'm already thinking of January.

If we continue to play like we currently are then other teams will "come a looking".

I feel our ability to retain our existing group will determine how things pan out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:09 am 

I'm feeling contrary, we tend to face more shots than we take. It's the poor quality of League Two strikers that makes our defence look so good; there's plenty of room to develop.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:20 pm 

bigpaul101 wrote:
I'm already thinking of January.

If we continue to play like we currently are then other teams will "come a looking".

I feel our ability to retain our existing group will determine how things pan out.

This. It makes a pleasant change to be dreading it!

If we get through it with the same unit it will be huge.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:12 pm 

You need to remember that a lot of our summer signings were on one year contracts though.

You'd hope that they would want to stay if we get promoted (loyalty, enjoying the club, and not being arsed to re-locate), but there's always the risks of (1) them wanting more game time so staying at League Two, (2) a newly relegated / rich League Two side offering them more money to help them get promoted, or (3) another League One side thinking they could be worth a chance and stealing them from us.

It'll be interesting to see how many contract extensions are announced in the run up to the Jan transfer window to try and fend off Scottish clubs etc. as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:24 pm 

BristolDon wrote:
You need to remember that a lot of our summer signings were on one year contracts though.

You'd hope that they would want to stay if we get promoted (loyalty, enjoying the club, and not being arsed to re-locate), but there's always the risks of (1) them wanting more game time so staying at League Two, (2) a newly relegated / rich League Two side offering them more money to help them get promoted, or (3) another League One side thinking they could be worth a chance and stealing them from us.

It'll be interesting to see how many contract extensions are announced in the run up to the Jan transfer window to try and fend off Scottish clubs etc. as well.

There’s only Cargill, & to an extent, Watson, that would be a major concern though. Harley, Hancox, Baudry & D’Ath would probably be surplus to requirements if we did get promoted. We may even have an option for a further year on Cargill as the club suddenly became very reticent about mentioning such clauses last summer. It would seem odd to sign a young player who arrived with an excellent reputation for just the one year. I’d like to see Watson stick about as there’s plenty of scope for development with him too.

As for losing Chuks and Rhys in January, I now have enough trust in ‘Tis to find suitable replacements, and certainly believe he’s already planning for that eventuality even if it doesn’t materialise.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:59 pm 

Camdenite wrote:
BristolDon wrote:

There’s only Cargill, & to an extent, Watson, that would be a major concern though. Harley, Hancox, Baudry & D’Ath would probably be surplus to requirements if we did get promoted. We may even have an option for a further year on Cargill as the club suddenly became very reticent about mentioning such clauses last summer. It would seem odd to sign a young player who arrived with an excellent reputation for just the one year. I’d like to see Watson stick about as there’s plenty of scope for development with him too.

As for losing Chuks and Rhys in January, I now have enough trust in ‘Tis to find suitable replacements, and certainly believe he’s already planning for that eventuality even if it doesn’t materialise.

Agreed on the contract length for Cargill, was almost AFC-esque in not announcing it.

Do wonder if we'll get a hint on Healey this weekend. If he's not available for Grimsby my concern will rise a couple of notches.

Plus side I suppose on Chuks is due to form and the fact it's January we can maybe get a premium price, if he goes alone to talk to others I guess that means he stays until the summer?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:22 pm 

Towcestrian wrote:
Do wonder if we'll get a hint on Healey this weekend. If he's not available for Grimsby my concern will rise a couple of notches.

Plus side I suppose on Chuks is due to form and the fact it's January we can maybe get a premium price, if he goes alone to talk to others I guess that means he stays until the summer?

I was hoping we would rest Healey, especially if he has taken a late knock. Plus Chuks & Lewie.