THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Goal difference
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:30 am 
Putting all of the negativity towards our style of football and Neilson's management style to one side, one thing that is jumping out as a potential banana skin later on is our goal difference. Right now, there are TEN teams within 5 points of the playoffs.

It's great saying we can come back from 2-4 down to draw 4-4, but our goal difference is terrible,-5, far worse than all of the other teams on similar points to us aside from Bristol Rovers. Teams in the playoffs are firmly in the positive.

It's not just about winning games, we need to be winning them comfortably if we are to stand a chance of being up there at the end of the season. Winning 1-0, 2-1 etc just isn't going to help our cause and we need to start clawing back that goal difference, conceding less through stupid individual errors and being more clinical.

Earlier in the season, our defence looked strong, but now we've conceded 22 goals and all the teams above us barring Southend and Walsall have conceded less than us.

January really has to be about firming up that attack, with a new striker a must (considering Sow seems injury prone and Agard/Seager/Muirhead aren't getting goals), and a new creative mid for when Chuks inevitably picks up a hamstring injury. At the same time, we really need players like EEL to get a grip and start performing. Individual errors are costing us.

Post subject: Re: Goal difference
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:01 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:

January really has to be about firming up that attack, with a new striker a must (considering Sow seems injury prone and Agard/Seager/Muirhead aren't getting goals), and a new creative mid for when Chuks inevitably picks up a hamstring injury. At the same time, we really need players like EEL to get a grip and start performing. Individual errors are costing us.

Not an easy task when you’re barely getting more than fifteen minutes football a month.
Anyway, Seager scored yesterday. Not having it that it hadn’t crossed the line. Looked comfortably over to me. Still, if his “goal” against AFC has remained in the record books then I suppose it’s only right that this one has to go to Upson.

EEL’s in ahead of Williams for being more of a threat at set pieces at the other end. He causes problems every time we have a set piece. There was a lovely training ground move first half yesterday when he peeled off at the back post and set up a superb chance. He’s a target in the way Williams isn’t. Williams wins his fair share in the air, but he doesn’t have to be dealt with by two defenders at times which is what Oldham started to do yesterday. That opens up space for others at set pieces.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:26 pm 

Camdenite wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:

Not an easy task when you’re barely getting more than fifteen minutes football a month.
Anyway, Seager scored yesterday. Not having it that it hadn’t crossed the line. Looked comfortably over to me. Still, if his “goal” against AFC has remained in the record books then I suppose it’s only right that this one has to go to Upson.

EEL’s in ahead of Williams for being more of a threat at set pieces at the other end. He causes problems every time we have a set piece. There was a lovely training ground move first half yesterday when he peeled off at the back post and set up a superb chance. He’s a target in the way Williams isn’t. Williams wins his fair share in the air, but he doesn’t have to be dealt with by two defenders at times which is what Oldham started to do yesterday. That opens up space for others at set pieces.

I agree that is why Robbie probably took off Wootton rather than EEL, but he will have to score a lot of set pieces if we continue to let in four a game.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:41 pm 

FEEL should be there to defend first anything else is a bonus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:09 pm 

F- that.
In 3 months we'll be up there for automatic promotion. 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:21 am 

Camdenite wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:

True, can’t score if you hardly play.

BTW 1: we were at the front within 10 yards of the post at that time and we didn’t think Seager’s effort was over the line. I haven’t seen it on TV though.

BTW 2: That training ground move involved two players cunningly standing together five yards offside at free kicks. They tried it about three times.