THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Leadership at the back
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:57 am 

None of that back five yesterday had any.

I didn’t see any dominant body language, hear any talking between them. So they lost men, especially in the area, and even challenged each other on occasion. No-one was doing much organising.

We do have two defenders at the club who are natural leaders, but they can’t get in the team. And besides, they are both normally full-backs, not best placed to run what happens in the danger zones in and around the area, facing all the play.

If I were the manager of such a team, I’d try and sign a centreback in January who has that character, even if he were a slightly lesser player. In the long run it will save us goals.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:07 am 

I did muse over this the other week regarding Lewie, but regarding the apparent player relationship breakdown in the dressing room.
You can call Lewie slow or past it, but you can't deny he was a good skipper.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:29 am 

I’ve always been in the “they don’t talk to each other!” camp too. Under Robbo, I always put it down to the manager trusting the players ability and telling them he didn’t want to hear the Sunday League shouts of “man on”, “get rid” etc. A sort of trust your teammmates ability to make the right decision and don’t rush them into mistakes, kind of attitude.

However, after hearing Joe Walsh basically talk Wootton and EEL through the game as though they were a pair of debutant eighteen year olds against Walsall the other night (s:mk noise levels being about the quietest ever known, it was possible to hear the players breathing, let alone shouting!) I think there is a lot more communication than we give them credit for.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:45 am 

Camdenite wrote:
I’ve always been in the “they don’t talk to each other!” camp too. Under Robbo, I always put it down to the manager trusting the players ability and telling them he didn’t want to hear the Sunday League shouts of “man on”, “get rid” etc. A sort of trust your teammmates ability to make the right decision and don’t rush them into mistakes, kind of attitude.

However, after hearing Joe Walsh basically talk Wootton and EEL through the game as though they were a pair of debutant eighteen year olds against Walsall the other night (s:mk noise levels being about the quietest ever known, it was possible to hear the players breathing, let alone shouting!) I think there is a lot more communication than we give them credit for.

Lee Nichols has a filthy mouth on him too! As my wife pointed out, didn't he see the signs to mind his language?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:03 am 
Williams simply HAS to be in the team. One of our best players last season, and I have no idea what he has done to get benched the last few games. He is the first name on the team sheet IMO.

EEL has become so error prone, literally responsible for 3 separate conceded goals. Had he not scored 2 goals himself, I think people would be more on his back. Wootton I expect more from, thought he was potential captain material early last season but he just isn't assertive enough and his positioning is questionable.

Walsh has to be starting now too, ahead of either of those two. Golbourne doing a decent job at left back, hope we can extend his loan until the end of the season.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:14 am 

In which position does Williams HAVE to be in the team?

He's a good jack of all trades.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:18 am 
dons50 wrote:

Any, I don't care as long as he starts. Personally would go with Golbourne, Walsh, Williams and Brittain in a back four. Or if we are playing at the back then Walsh, Williams, Brittain.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:50 am 

FilthyDon wrote:
dons50 wrote:

Any, I don't care as long as he starts. Personally would go with Golbourne, Walsh, Williams and Brittain in a back four. Or if we are playing at the back then Walsh, Williams, Brittain.

You’re playing Brittain in a back three with Walsh & Williams? :o

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:09 pm 
Camdenite wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:
dons50 wrote:

You’re playing Brittain in a back three with Walsh & Williams? :o

No, I spelled Wootton wrong

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:12 pm 

We looked far more comfortable with 4-4-2 yesterday, I’d stick with that and play Williams as a CB with Walsh, Brittain and Golbourne as full backs

EEL is a weak link at the back, slow and clumsy, he can warm the bench

Wootton isn’t having the best of seasons either