THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:03 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Atmosphere @ StadiumMK
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:13 am 

Hi all, I’m a season ticket holder in the family area @ Stadium Mk and I honestly think the atmosphere is poor. I don’t think it helps where fans are scattered all round the ground, however I think after last night something needs to be done. Ok we hear a few chants from the crowd but they last about 30 seconds, but maybe if us as fans got behind the team it might actually give them a lift during the game. I’ve come up with a few ideas which I’m contacting the club about however I just wanted to know if anyone feels the same way. We need to make StadiumMK into a fortress and make it a place where away teams will dread coming. The music before last nights match was laughable , we need music to get the crowd pumped up for the match, not pop songs! We need chants that sound like we’re not boooing one of own players...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:33 am 
Dunstabledon2004 wrote:
Hi all, I’m a season ticket holder in the family area @ Stadium Mk and I honestly think the atmosphere is poor. I don’t think it helps where fans are scattered all round the ground, however I think after last night something needs to be done. Ok we hear a few chants from the crowd but they last about 30 seconds, but maybe if us as fans got behind the team it might actually give them a lift during the game. I’ve come up with a few ideas which I’m contacting the club about however I just wanted to know if anyone feels the same way. We need to make StadiumMK into a fortress and make it a place where away teams will dread coming. The music before last nights match was laughable , we need music to get the crowd pumped up for the match, not pop songs! We need chants that sound like we’re not boooing one of own players...

Unfortunately with attendances how they are (and how they will remain for the forseeable), it makes it especially difficult to generate an atmosphere in such a large stadium. The other issue is that a lot of our fanbase at the moment (probably more than the average club) are families with kids, and not the usual type to start songs/chants or join in en masse.

Think you're right about being thinly spread around the ground. It would make a lot more sense to sell the seats (incl. season tickets) in blocks rather than having people dotted around. That's the only significant practical solution I can think of.

Thought the atmosphere at most games in our Championship season was acceptable, and the odd game where we get above average attendances are OK. It's the standard L1 games that are pretty poor.

Unfortunately all of the issues are compounded when our team are playing as they are, with a manager in charge who encourages boring, cynical, defensive football, no team spirit and no real connection between fans and the players/staff. When things are like this it makes it hard for fans to be enthusiastic and encourage the team.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:24 am 

It's alright because if things carry on as they are we will only need to open two corners and close the rest of the stadium down. Worst atmosphere I can recall at stadium mk now. No wonder with the dross we watching. Just marginally more boring than watching paint dry!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:45 am 

That guy who came from the back of the cowshed down next to me in the family corner tried the his best by mooing as loud as he could!! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:17 am 

This stadium wasn't build for an atmosphere. It was built for events. Take away that top tier and lower the roof and it'd be pretty good but we aren't the only ones with an atmosphere problem. I've been to plenty of grounds where it's been worse.

I used to sing and start songs, bang the drum, everything. I now sit in the East Stand with my dad as I prefer to watch the game as after about 8 years in the Cowshed nothing has changed regarding atmosphere.

Just one of those things I'm afraid. I used to post things like this all the time so I understand your frustrations but people are rightly allowed and entitled not to sing, I used to be one that moaned about it and now I'm one of those who sits and doesn't sing. Go figure.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:32 am 

So nobody's going to mention Russ Abbot?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:44 am 

We need to close the corners off, close the east stand wing ends and concentrate on filling the middle sections, until we do this there will be no atmosphere, it's quite simple really, less stewards probably too, it won't happen for league games but it should, probably actually 5k in last night, and with the capacity and upper tiers, at the moment the atmosphere won't change, it really is a simple fix, but people won't want to be moved from the family area to a possible singing and dancing area, so this will always be the same.
I think even if we were winning, we'd only get these size attendances, championship football and above is light years away, probably not in my lifetime unless we find one of those billionaires!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:50 am 

I agree, I've raised it before, I'm in family area also but my heart is in the cowshed and always join in the chants etc. and eventually people do but the cowshed goes quiet eventually which is where it all seems to come from when the crowd gets going.

I think we should cover up the unused areas of the stadium and close them off and pack people in to the areas we can to make it less spread out.

I do think that the fans have a part to play int he success of the team and when we give up so easily, or start booing or shouting "out", it isn't at all helpful to what we want to happen. Not intending to start a debate about performance with that, as I'm sure it is more than covered in other threads, just noting it doesn't help what you are referring to.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:01 am 

Nah I like sitting in my corner thanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:04 am 

The obvious thing is to put plastic dummies in the corners. We can proudly boast about our plastic fans.