THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:29 am 

APL PREDICTION LEAGUE, RESULTS & REVIEWPORTSMOUTH
First, I think I should mention the 580 that made their way to Fratton Park and gave such superb support, and all this in the face of some absolutely mindless stewarding.

Allocated 1,000 seats, despite being told by numerous people that “we are the MK, we sit where we want” and there would be ample room, telling them that is was pretty much established by the travelling support, if you wanted to stand you went to the back, if you wanted to sit, you went down the front, but they still insisted on being utter twats, demanding to see tickets from all those that they deemed to be sitting/standing in the wrong place, and telling them if they could not show their ticket they would be ejected from the ground on suspicion they had gained entry without a ticket. Obviously, a trumped-up charge considering every fan was searched going into the ground, having to show your ticket, then getting past an e-reader.

I could to a degree understand it if it was a sell-out, but this scenario had the potential to get out of hand if they had carried out their ridiculous threats, but fair play to those that were challenged for keeping cool, and in the end they just gave up, even the gobby blonde woman steward who kept saying “trust me, I’ve stewarded thousands of games, you will sit where you’re told, they all learn in the end or get thrown out”, well as I said to you love “good luck with that one, because you won’t win “.

Looking at the game itself, again it was hugely disappointing, the BBC website reports we had a shot on target, well it can’t have been much of an effort, because on the return trip home, nobody out of six of us could recall it.

Portsmouth are a bang average team, they didn’t look anything special, but in honesty they didn’t need to be, we were so ordinary it was painful watching. We look to me to be playing well within ourselves, and as I’ve always felt we just need to step it up a gear to get anything out of games like this, but we look like we are stuck in third gear, barely being able to put more than a couple of passes together, and creatively we are virtually non-existent.

It just doesn’t make sense, that is unless you consider Alex Gilbey’s candid interview with Toby Lock in the Citizen after yesterday’s game, apparently players exchanged a few home truths with each other, and more than a few grievances were aired, and I guess to a degree understandable. With such a large influx of new players and the old guard gone, the hierarchy within the dressing room has been disturbed, and it would appear a few of them are trying to establish themselves when normally the old guard would collectively put them in their place. You could also argue not having the club captain actively involved, may have disturbed the Force, I would imagine Lewie cuts a slightly subdued figure in the dressing room these days with his status somewhat fractured.

There is a term sometimes used about managers, “He’s lost the dressing room”, but it makes me wonder based on this if he ever had it, which I find surprising, as he appears to me to be a bloke that you wouldn’t want to challenge, not unless you had teamed up and brought your dinner with you.

So, what is wrong, now don’t give me this time to gel bollocks, or playing and learning new systems, it’s a new manager etc, that ship sailed a long while ago as we fast approach the 50-game mark for Robbie in charge and indeed his first-year anniversary on December 3rd.

Based on Gilbey’s revelation alone there are obviously problems with personalities, if they can get that sorted out I would hope that we could in the very least look like we are trying or give a toss, because other than the AFC game we have looked less than convincing, even when we have picked up points or won, I remain hopeful that even playing this mediocre has given us 17 points, as up to now, I just don’t know how we have managed it, so even a small improvement would be beneficial.

Looking at the APL......we had the usual 50 predictions this week, thanks for playing folks, and out of those 50 we had just 11 earning points.

Blodwyn struggled between her heart and head, and her head won, and she predicted 2-0 to Pompey and gets rewarded with 10 points, plus a mention in the APL Hall of Fame, and she was joined by Peterr who also predicted 2-0 and gets 10 points and lifts himself off the bottom of the table.

There were 51 points awarded for this game.

The Walsall thread is already running, good luck with your predictions.

See you Tuesday.

8-) WellDon

APL Hall of Fame
2 – Southstander, MK59DON
1 – mkdonsdan4, BuzzardDon, kempstondons6, ChaChaDon, Dazzerdon, epdon, Kowalski, Grundit, Sparky, Bloxham Don, Just A Don, Woburn, Camdenite, Scribble, Blodwyn, Peterr

APL League Table 2017/18
44 POINTS – MK59DON
43 POINTS - Southstander
42 POINTS – kempstondons6, Woburn
41 POINTS – SG19Cowshed das Boot
40 POINTS – Camdenite, epdon
36 POINTS – Scribble, Bloxham Don
35 POINTS – familymkdonsfan
32 POINTS - Sparky
30 POINTS – Bex’s Dad, Bill, Nobbydon
28 POINTS – mightydons, FilthyDon, OldStratfordDon
27 POINTS – Dunstable Don, Greg
26 POINTS – Kowalski, Just A Don
24 POINTS – BuzzardDon
23 POINTS – Grundit, ChaChaDon
20 POINTS – Blodwyn
18 POINTS – Dazzerdon
17 POINTS – mkdonsdan4
16 POINTS – edmundpwb, APMKDon, TomMac&Ernie, Dons50, JackDon
14 POINTS – Scumarmy, Fraser
12 POINTS – Peterr, donnette
11 POINTS – Third Team Lucky
10 POINTS – Croydon, WellDon, leodon, BearHidesBoy64
9 POINTS – Locutus, yorkie, MBenn90455, MKAylesburyDon, Zippy
8 POINTS – Matthew, chrisdon, DonsDuck, Cheffy1, Don gal, silverous, RussybCool
7 POINTS – ExtraTime, MKBuffalo
6 POINTS – Dad_of_A _Don, Concretecowbelle, Steampunk Don, Oldfarmdons, Steelback Don
4 POINTS – Zameen, Ten-Don, Adebayo Akinfenwa, OakeeDokee, DBDON
2 POINTS – BetterCallSaul, DippyDon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:34 am 

Latest standings in the APL, the Walsall thread is up and running, so don't forget to make your predictions.