THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Motivation
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:18 am 

I think Robbie has a problem with motivating the players , man for man I think the squard is good enough for top six , but we're not getting the best out of the players , also no intensity and craft in our play, to defence minded that is all down to the manager, and if unrest in the dressing room is true we have major problems, these next two home games something must change, because we should be winning both these games, so please Robbie get them flying from the first minute to the last no holding back nothing less than six points will do.

Post subject: Re: Motivation
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:51 pm 

I can see him trying to raise them on the touch line, but it's far from convincing.

His assistants don't seem to do anything to help either.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:12 am 

I posted not that long on TCR, that I do wonder what RN is like to work for, as he comes across as perhaps a bit too "cool and calm" and is he able to motivate ? Robbo spoke a load of hot air and stuff, but I will give him credit for his passion and his motivation. Whereas is RN too quiet etc ? I do not know the answer...will be interesting to chat to some of the players and ask them to compare Robbo to RN in terms of motivation.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:22 am 

Looking at it from another angle, why do the players need to be motivated by the manager.

If at their inflated wages they can't motivate themselves to give 100% during their 90 minute working day, they should do the decent thing and do a Tilney.

Or maybe Robbie can make them do a night shift as porters in A&E to see what real work is like.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:22 am 
Bill wrote:
Looking at it from another angle, why do the players need to be motivated by the manager.

If at their inflated wages they can't motivate themselves to give 100% during their 90 minute working day, they should do the decent thing and do a Tilney.

Or maybe Robbie can make them do a night shift as porters in A&E to see what real work is like.

This. Perhaps it's all gone to their heads, earning a decent wage on a 2-3 year contract, knowing they are nicely set up regardless of the outcome of matches.

Our younger players show desire and want to succeed and are hungry for it, I'm always impressed by how dedicated they are by their posts on social media - they seem to really want to be here. It's our established, more experienced pros that don't seem to care on or off the pitch.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:58 am 

Bill wrote:

So what is the role of the manager then ? Are the players to work out the tactics too ?

Football history has shown that the most successful managers have all had good man-management skills and the ability to motivate and get extra from players. For any sport you care to mention, much of it is around sports psychology etc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:15 am 

Galverion wrote:
Bill wrote:

So what is the role of the manager then ? Are the players to work out the tactics too ?

Football history has shown that the most successful managers have all had good man-management skills and the ability to motivate and get extra from players. For any sport you care to mention, much of it is around sports psychology etc

I think rather than motivate, he should inspire the team, employing tactics that play to their strengths and setting the training to enhance their skills. Let everyone know what is expected of them and make them feel valued

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:00 pm 

I can't be ars*d to think of a considered post to this issue. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:14 pm 

Galverion wrote:
Bill wrote:

All the best teams have had one or more strong and determined characters on the pitch. Leaders. The manager's first job is to provide those characters.

Who have we got?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:18 pm 

Sausage wrote:
Galverion wrote:
Bill wrote:

All the best teams have had one or more strong and determined characters on the pitch. Leaders. The manager's first job is to provide those characters.

Who have we got?

Donny and Mooie?