THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Crossroads
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:22 pm 
Beardhidesboy64 wrote:
What do I want russ? Simple really ... our brand of entertaining football back with a few tweaks and progression. I want to go to football and be excited and entertained and I want a credible identity again that gets the football world talking.

The frustrating thing is, I don't think a few tweaks is going to fix anything now.

I just cannot see how things will turn around for us. Are Sow, Seager etc all suddenly going to be inundated with passes (on the ground) coming their way? Are we suddenly going to be peppering their goal with shots, pressing teams and keeping possession like we used to? Nah, that would completely contradict what Neilson does.

I haven't looked at the stats, but I don't think we've had the majority of possession in any league game so far this season.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:28 pm 

Russybcool wrote:
What's the point in getting rid? The compensation alone would cripple our transfer budget for Jan and possibly next summer. We are mid table not in the bottom 4 like when robbo left.

What do people want? Personally I expect mid table and that's where we are. No use wetting you knickers.

A bit of personality, oomf (not a word but everyone knows what it is), style, quality, sleak.

We have had that once since Neilson took over. Once. At Peterborough. And even then we were lucky not to be 2-0 down at one point. I genuinely expected 9th/10th this season. Which I can accept if we look are showing signs of progression. Which we aren't. But if we are just gonna accept that kind of form then what's the point? Haven't we always been progressive and ambitious? Imagine being happy with atrocious football. And a crap position in the League. Getting knocked out of the cups when you can't even rely on one or two class games against higher League opposition. It's completely pointless.

Not to mention that if the actual manager talks up promotion then why shouldn't we expect a challenge and some signs of profession and decent football.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:30 pm 

FD the "few tweaks" was aimed at our original brand of football under robbo. I mean, I want a pass and move, controlled attack style of football again but with a little bit more directness and pace and a willingness to play ugly when necessary.

Most Importantly though I want to get back to controlling possession againand putting other teams onthe back foot.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:44 pm 
Beardhidesboy64 wrote:
FD the "few tweaks" was aimed at our original brand of football under robbo. I mean, I want a pass and move, controlled attack style of football again but with a little bit more directness and pace and a willingness to play ugly when necessary.

Most Importantly though I want to get back to controlling possession againand putting other teams onthe back foot.

You and me both. Our football identity is part of our club, even pundits and other club's fans used to comment on our style of play and that we were a 'footballing' side.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:01 pm 

Russybcool wrote:
What's the point in getting rid? The compensation alone would cripple our transfer budget for Jan and possibly next summer. We are mid table not in the bottom 4 like when robbo left.

What do people want? Personally I expect mid table and that's where we are. No use wetting you knickers.

Mid table is the new 'just adrift of the playoffs' :ugeek: :ugeek:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:31 pm 

Sorry folks, but you All voted for it.

Suck it up... ;)

Read a post elsewhere asking why we’d turned into a counter-attacking team? Maybe that’s just a consequence of having a side that don’t actually appear to be coached from Monday to Friday and aren’t capable of retaining the ball for more than three passes?

However, it’s what everyone wanted, isn’t it? Clueless Football with aimless balls lumped to a couple of big lads. We’ll be ok this season and probably will find ourselves with a sniff of the play offs with six or seven games to go (and from there, who knows..) but with the money we’ve spent that’s the bare minimum. Lots of names aren’t going to sit around next summer to see what materialises.

Meanwhile, a perfectly capable manager who knew what’s required to get out of this league walked into a completely toxic situation in SE7 and seems to have calmed things down, got the fans onside and is making a far better fist of it than our present incumbent. Food for thought, eh?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:37 pm 

Camdenite wrote:
Sorry folks, but you All voted for it.

Suck it up... ;)

Read a post elsewhere asking why we’d turned into a counter-attacking team? Maybe that’s just a consequence of having a side that don’t actually appear to be coached from Monday to Friday and aren’t capable of retaining the ball for more than three passes?

However, it’s what everyone wanted, isn’t it? Clueless Football with aimless balls lumped to a couple of big lads. We’ll be ok this season and probably will find ourselves with a sniff of the play offs with six or seven games to go (and from there, who knows..) but with the money we’ve spent that’s the bare minimum. Lots of names aren’t going to sit around next summer to see what materialises.

Meanwhile, a perfectly capable manager who knew what’s required to get out of this league walked into a completely toxic situation in SE7 and seems to have calmed things down, got the fans onside and is making a far better fist of it than our present incumbent. Food for thought, eh?

Not everyone.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:41 pm 

dons50 wrote:

Not everyone.

We lost that referendum by a landslide, mate. ;)

Still, that’s all part of supporting a team where there’s a significant number who don’t really have a grasp on what’s going on in front of them.. We signed up to that too.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:44 pm 

Camdenite, Robinson was taking us down mate. Fact. We would have been in League Two if he'd stayed. Fact. Not opinion. We WOULD have gone down.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:44 pm 

Easy with hindsight. It was right that Robbo went (should have gone earlier in my opinion, once we got relegated from the Championship, all the signs were evident for all to see) but I do not think, right now, that RN was the right choice. PW was brave in that appointment, but as someone else on this thread said, PW should have looked for someone with more experience. Having said that, would be madness to sack RN at this stage, with no obvious replacement. I am hoping things may pick up for RN, but I am not holding my breath....

....but everything in football is easy with hindsight...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next