THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Crossroads
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:09 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:
BracknellDons wrote:
Well, I voted with my feet on Sat and left shortly after the 2nd goal went in, this is becoming a far too familiar occurrence....we've got zero passion, lack creativity, width only down one-side - we leak goals and yet Walsh can't get a game!!!!

Chuks & Walsh have to start on Tues.

Agree with the sentiment but you travelled an hour and 20 minutes, spent £20+ quid on a ticket, fuel/train fare to then stay for 45 minutes? :lol:

I'm sure you sent a message with that(!)

It was more to do with not allowing the dross attempt of a football match to continue ruining our plans, I couldn't subject myself to the lacklustre performance anymore - we could of still been playing long after Pompey went home and we still wouldn't of scored!

Anyway had a great night, thats all that counts 8-) :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:10 pm 
BracknellDons wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:
BracknellDons wrote:
Well, I voted with my feet on Sat and left shortly after the 2nd goal went in, this is becoming a far too familiar occurrence....we've got zero passion, lack creativity, width only down one-side - we leak goals and yet Walsh can't get a game!!!!

Agree with the sentiment but you travelled an hour and 20 minutes, spent £20+ quid on a ticket, fuel/train fare to then stay for 45 minutes? :lol:

I'm sure you sent a message with that(!)

It was more to do with not allowing the dross attempt of a football match to continue ruining our plans, I couldn't subject myself to the lacklustre performance anymore - we could of still been playing long after Pompey went home and we still wouldn't of scored!

Anyway had a great night, thats all that counts 8-) :lol:

True, and I'm with ya on the reasons behind it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:16 pm 

I would be interested to know if there are people on here that think Neilson might be gone at the end of the season, or even Christmas ;), and I don't necessarily mean being pushed out of the door, he could go under his own steam, he won't be the first, and certainly not the last.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:24 pm 

It's too early this season to pass judgement. Win our next 2 games and we could be touching playoffs. The league is still young and tight ( ;) )

We have been beset with injuries, but I don't agree we have a 'top 6' team. We have remnants of Robbo's regime, but we have some imports who I'm not sold on, and some unproven young talent. Chuks is a good player and has been injured, but we're treating his return like he is the the messiah. I honestly hope he does drive us forward and gets us back playing well, but lest we forget arguably his best spell was playing for a relegation threatened League 1 side in the 2013/14 season. Cisse has not performed as I'd hoped he would, but hopefully is adjusting to League One football still.

I do wonder if playing long diagonal balls to Seager is wise, but Sow has shown his class - a definite boon for us to have him on a contract and not on loan. Another of our Loanees, Tshibola hasn't set the world alight yet either. A talented lad, but again, his most recent season consisted of 12 appearances, and the one before that? Half a season of appearances at relegation threatened Hartlepool in League 2. We have had great success with loanees in recent years, i.e Grigg, Bamford, Afobe, Barnes etc. But not all loanees can come in and do as well (for us, anyway!)

I am meandering a bit here, but what I think is we give Robbie at least until the end of the season, and maybe beyond. The season before we were promoted, we finished 10th in L1. There is a limit people can take before people get bored or fed up of the style of play. That's what I liked though about having Robbo as manager, it took a while, but we got where we wanted.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:23 pm 

There's one at the end of my road!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:25 pm 

BracknellDons wrote:

Didn't want to stand next to you anymore anyway haha In all seriousness, I didn't blame you, fair to say you didn't miss much after you left!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:25 pm 

Camdenite wrote:
leodon wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:

Why does Robbie get special treatment and extra time? How do we know PW has assured him he would get time?

KR got 6 years! It is the Pete way.
Robbie's interview on talksport the other week made it clear that Pete had given him such assurances and he has now moved his family down here, so he's not planning to go anywhere any time soon.
Beardhidesboy posted the link earlier in
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=133&p=1136&hilit=Talksport#p1136
Worth a listen.

KR’s appointment was about giving a young and dynamic coach an opportunity at a young and dynamic football club. It came because as a club we’d had an annual change of manager (remember those days?) and the one thing the club needed was someone who could see through the project long term and oversee its growth on and off the pitch. Championship football was always the ambition, and he should probably have achieved it in this first couple of seasons, but a steady stream of departures from the playing staff meant he was always in the middle of a re-build and finances (and some very well funded bigger clubs finding themselves at this level) always dictated we would fail to secure the very top end of the player pool in the transfer market.

RN’s appointment was about bringing someone in to arrest a slide in fortunes and change things about in a bid to get the club back to The Championship. The club is a wholly different beast to that of 2010 and ambitions have shifted accordingly.

As for RN moving to MK, it’s the very least he could do given that he stated he would be moving on players who didn’t move to MK or were based within a reasonable commuting distance. Same for new arrivals. Also, MK is pretty handy for most parts of the country if another job opportunity turned up. Some nice drums in Woburn, Apsley etc too. :lol: you certainly wouldn’t be out of pocket if you had to sell in a year or two.

Don't disagree with any of your first paragraph (and yes I do remember the rotating door days for managers pre KR.
I was responding to Filthy's specific comment about proof that Pete said he'd give him time.
RN was specifically asked about this in the talksport interview.
https://talksport.com/football/72-talks ... 1005257229
Go to -42.00 on the time bar at the top.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:39 pm 
leodon wrote:
Don't disagree with any of your first paragraph (and yes I do remember the rotating door days for managers pre KR.
I was responding to Filthy's specific comment about proof that Pete said he'd give him time.
RN was specifically asked about this in the talksport interview.
https://talksport.com/football/72-talks ... 1005257229
Go to -42.00 on the time bar at the top.

Yes you are right he did say that in the interview, never heard that before.

Re Karl getting 6 years, I think he got so long because we had immediate success with him getting us into the playoffs in his first season, which he repeated a year later.

I was quite happy with Neilson after last season and thought we were on the up with him, it's all the things that have gone on with players leaving and not being replaced, poor signings and him introducing a certain style of play that has put a lot of doubt in my mind, and I'm sure Pete will also being having doubts already.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:02 pm 

Greg wrote:
It's too early this season to pass judgement. Win our next 2 games and we could be touching playoffs. The league is still young and tight ( ;) )

We have been beset with injuries, but I don't agree we have a 'top 6' team. We have remnants of Robbo's regime, but we have some imports who I'm not sold on, and some unproven young talent. Chuks is a good player and has been injured, but we're treating his return like he is the the messiah. I honestly hope he does drive us forward and gets us back playing well, but lest we forget arguably his best spell was playing for a relegation threatened League 1 side in the 2013/14 season. Cisse has not performed as I'd hoped he would, but hopefully is adjusting to League One football still.

I do wonder if playing long diagonal balls to Seager is wise, but Sow has shown his class - a definite boon for us to have him on a contract and not on loan. Another of our Loanees, Tshibola hasn't set the world alight yet either. A talented lad, but again, his most recent season consisted of 12 appearances, and the one before that? Half a season of appearances at relegation threatened Hartlepool in League 2. We have had great success with loanees in recent years, i.e Grigg, Bamford, Afobe, Barnes etc. But not all loanees can come in and do as well (for us, anyway!)

I am meandering a bit here, but what I think is we give Robbie at least until the end of the season, and maybe beyond. The season before we were promoted, we finished 10th in L1. There is a limit people can take before people get bored or fed up of the style of play. That's what I liked though about having Robbo as manager, it took a while, but we got where we wanted.

F- go for it mate. :lol:
(Some good points too IMHO) :ugeek:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:05 pm 

WellDon wrote:
I would be interested to know if there are people on here that think Neilson might be gone at the end of the season, or even Christmas ;), and I don't necessarily mean being pushed out of the door, he could go under his own steam, he won't be the first, and certainly not the last.

I’m pretty sure he will be with us at least until the end of next season. Pete will want stability and Robbie should have at least one more summer to develop the squad he wants.

I don’t see why he would go under his own steam.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next