THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 7:50 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:16 pm 
Not sure if this is 'news', but in-case anyone was in two minds about going..

[tweet]https://twitter.com/nptfc/status/1013892227767074816[/tweet]

Academy players only. I'll bet the club weren't planning on telling supporters.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:13 pm 

good, it will save our first team being kicked to death by a bunch of amateurs, pointless playing teams like this apart from the local goodwill they are meaningless

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:41 am 

Other than before the 14/15 season, isn't it normally youth players at this one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:01 am 

I think this is a mistake, local goodwill is very important and Newport aren’t the thugs people think. There was a thousand there last year and it’s great being so close to the players.

Tis out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:41 am 

Now also on the Club OS.
https://www.mkdons.com/news/2018/july/n ... -friendly/
This was hinted at in Tis’ interview, when he said that keeping everyone fit was the priority, and his focus was Oldham, not pre-season matches.
This was in Toby Lock’s report of that interview.

“Dons' first pre-season friendly of the season is penned in for Saturday July 7 - a week away - but it looks likely a youth team will represent the club at Willen Road and indeed at St Neots three days later, as Tisdale looks to get his squad fit for the new campaign which kicks off at Oldham on August 4.”

Given the weather conditions I think this is a very wise decision, not because the NP team will be amateur thugs, kicking our poor first team players, but because the ground will be like concrete.

Sadly for Filthy this means that there will need to be a delay to the prediction of the whole season based on the pre-season matches ;) Although I would expect to see the first team at the SMK matches.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:09 pm 
leodon wrote:
Sadly for Filthy this means that there will need to be a delay to the prediction of the whole season based on the pre-season matches ;) Although I would expect to see the first team at the SMK matches.

When have I ever predicted the whole season based on 'pre-season matches'? I said we'd have a poor season last season based on a number of factors - mediocre signings, losing too many key players and not replacing them as well as our poor pre-season results.

That Coventry pre-season defeat in Nuneaton was the worst game of football I've ever seen and was pretty much first choice 11 a week before the season was starting. God it was awful. We had about 20% possession and both EEL and Cissé gave aways pens so it was a preview of things to come.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:15 pm 

MK Jack wrote:
good, it will save our first team being kicked to death by a bunch of amateurs, pointless playing teams like this apart from the local goodwill they are meaningless

It's this sort of we are better than you attitude that pisses me off, Stereotyping snobbery at its best. I don't recall my son kicking the first team to death last year, he actually megged Ed Upson (which we have heard about ever since) and gave Ben Tilney a bit of a run about on the wing but kick them no. For a 16 year old to play against his childhood team it meant a lot.

Newport do not have the funds that big clubs do and the revenue that will now be lost from this game is huge but to many that will mean nothing. Everybody that is at the club behind the scenes is a volunteer and they have spent a lot of time preparing for this match.

Seriously please show your support on Saturday, regardless of what team they send I will be there volunteering on the p.a and tea hut and the Club house will be showing the England game at 3pm, so continual drinking all afternoon without the need to go anywhere else.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:45 pm 

donnette wrote:
MK Jack wrote:

It's this sort of we are better than you attitude that pisses me off, Stereotyping snobbery at its best. I don't recall my son kicking the first team to death last year, he actually megged Ed Upson (which we have heard about ever since) and gave Ben Tilney a bit of a run about on the wing but kick them no. For a 16 year old to play against his childhood team it meant a lot.

Newport do not have the funds that big clubs do and the revenue that will now be lost from this game is huge but to many that will mean nothing. Everybody that is at the club behind the scenes is a volunteer and they have spent a lot of time preparing for this match.

Seriously please show your support on Saturday, regardless of what team they send I will be there volunteering on the p.a and tea hut and the Club house will be showing the England game at 3pm, so continual drinking all afternoon without the need to go anywhere else.

Fair post.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:58 pm 

Do Newport have anywhere to watch the England game after?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:36 pm 

nickgt6 wrote:
Do Newport have anywhere to watch the England game after?

The club itself has an impressive clubhouse and have shown the other England games and is my first choice. Nearby, the Kingfisher, Coachmakers, Dolphin and Plough are also good viewing points for live football. Working Mans will be worth a shout too. All are about a 10 minute walk from the ground