THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:44 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:38 pm 

"Half time is there to remind you what life would be like without football"
The close season is the same, but a million times worse.
Who said that? Nobody cares.

Summer Events
So, we're thinking about holding two or three events in the Summer, specifically aimed at Season Ticket Holders but all are welcome, where possible. Nothing firm, it's just ideas at the moment. Costs must be minimal to allow it to be affordable to all.
We're looking for ideas from Dons fans and have come up with a few so far:
BBQ, Beer & Bands - Pretty much what the title suggests. A big old barbecue and some live music. To be held in a car park at the stadium perhaps, or other venue. I don't think we do enough together as fans. Aside from the obvious matchdays, I can't remember the last time (if ever) when we had a good old get together.
England World Cup game(s) - Held in the RDB, Players Lounge, Ballroom or ??? Would the interest be there? Family friendly?
Outing at the cinema - Potential for reduced costs if we book a large group for a showing of a film.

Any others? Bear in mind, they must have a very wide appeal to attract every type of fan, particularly families.

Cowshed Bar
The more eagle-eyed of you may have noticed that I put up some framed shirts and photos in the CB on Monday and will have these in place for the last two home games. In particular I liked the photos from the NHS which weren't specifically of any event as such but when they were up, they generated the most interest and conversation
I intend to do something in there over the summer and due to the fact that the space is used not just for football but other Arena and stadium events, I am not keen on having framed shirts and the like up permanently as they are likely to be damaged and/or stolen. Plus I'm too lazy to put them up and take them down every game.
What I can do is get a selection of photos (iconic or not) and have them reproduced as vinyls that can be stuck on to the walls. This means if they do get damaged, they can be replaced. Now I really liked the photos from the NHS that were by the right side bar and was thinking that the walls could be adorned with similar photos and of course, some of the more iconic moments in our history.
Again, I'm open to ideas so feel free to contribute.

Post your own ideas in here or if you prefer, drop me a PM with your thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:54 pm 

This is only vaguely connected, apologies Runyak, and might sound morbid but the thought just crossed my mind. At quite a few away grounds there is a 'memorial area' where families of former fans can buy a brick or whatever for fans that have gone to the great stadium in the sky. As the club gets older over the next decade or so I wonder if is something the club should consider and where it might be located?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:03 pm 

No idea I'm afraid. I do remember it coming up a few times but don't know if it ever went anywhere. It is a nice touch though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:16 pm 

BBQ, beer & bands - tick.

World Cup - tick.

Cinema - not social enough; little chance to mingle sitting quietly in rows (think East Stand ;) )

How about:

MKDSA used to do regular quizzes but they seem to have died. Could the club do them?

Treasure hunt ending with BBQ and beers at SMK?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:47 pm 

Agree on the cinema and someone else said the same.
Quiz is a favourite of mine (never missed an MKDSA quiz) but it's not a particularly family friendly event. However, it was suggested that it could follow another event that occurs earlier in the day.
Like the treasure hunt idea.
What about a sports day? Kids and adult events.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:56 pm 

Great stuff, Tone - glad to hear there's some stuff up in the Cowshed Bar now! About bloody time!

Regarding cinema: would a showing of the 2008 JPT final be feasible with broadcast rights and so on? I'm thinking in the stadium rather than at the actual cinema.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:26 pm 

Runyak Huntz wrote:
No idea I'm afraid. I do remember it coming up a few times but don't know if it ever went anywhere. It is a nice touch though.

In terms of family type events, I always think it is a real shame that the pitch itself is out of bounds, though it is obvious why. What Dons fan kid (or adult, for that matter) wouldn't want to take a penalty at the Cowshed end? Or practice some ball skills tricks with that Guinness World Record guy? Or a run round the perimeter? etc etc.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:20 pm 

Mooie and Donny’s BBQ would just be wrong, wouldn’t it? :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:04 pm 

Seriously :shock: any BBQ would need to be veggie/vegan inclusive. :ugeek:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:16 pm 

The cinema should screen the Great Escape.