THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lewie & Defence
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:47 pm 
Defending
Whilst a lot of the blame today is rightfully on Tshibola, I feel our defending today in general was pretty woeful. For much of the game we gave them far too much space. I lost count of the amount of times players like Upson, Wootton, Gilbey in particular allowed their midfielders so much space in our half.

At one point, I remember one of their midfielders had just brought the ball into our half, and Upson and Wootton were standing next to each other marking one player on the edge of our box. Their midfielder had all the space from the halfway line to the edge of our penalty area, and had all the time in the world for others to make runs, pick a pass etc. It was like watching a L2 team play Man City and very amateur, pressing was none existent.

Particularly in the first half, we looked awful in our third. On at least three occasions, a Bradford midfielder ran through 3 of our players on the edge of our area and had the freedom to pick a pass at will.

Overall, the team looked lethargic. None of the players aside from one or two looked up for it...our players were walking around, making half-arsed attempts to close others down.

The bottom line - we cannot defend like that against the top teams. We might get away with it against the likes of Bury/Plymouth etc where they don't have the quality of Bradford, but when we next play any of the likes of Blackburn, Wigan, Bradford etc we have to press them more, take the game to them and not sit back. Counter attacking is such a big risk and we are just asking for a spanking if we play like we did today.

Lewie
Sorry to go against sentimentality, but today illustrated perfectly why Lewie shouldn't be our first choice LB anymore. We desperately missed Golbourne. Lewie was very slow, and on three separate occasions was muscled out of 50/50s, and on one occasion it was amusing to see him have a head start on one of their players chasing a loose ball, only for the Bradford player to run and overtake him and win the ball. It was painful.

On another occasion in the second half, one of their players drove through our midfield, Lewie had a decent head start on him and tried catching up but was made to look like a Sunday league player and got nowhere near him.

I know he's been a huge servant, but he seems to be getting worse month by month and I really feel he needs to step down to being a bit part player now and perhaps take up a coaching role. I'd rather have Walsh at LB than Lewie if it came down to that choice.

Post subject: Re: Lewie & Defence
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:52 pm 

I've had a few now :roll: but I really feel that IF (IF) we had had 11 men on and we'd played like we did second half we might well have got a result - even if that 'result' was a draw. They were good but not awesome.
Anyway F- it and move on.....
(afc lost - shame and are now in relegation zone - a ghastly position for such a wonderful fans club who had their league place stolen...yap yap yawn :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:45 pm 

A bit unfair to say we to defensive we were playing with 10 men nearly all game, we had to counter attack.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:52 pm 
Hugo wrote:
A bit unfair to say we to defensive we were playing with 10 men nearly all game, we had to counter attack.

Before the first goal we were already set up that way, it didnt change the pattern once Tshibola was sent off.

We conceded 2 early goals from sitting back and giving them too much space, we had nothing to lose.

We played EXACTLY the same way against Bury and Plymouth. We shouldnt be doing it against a top side like Bradford, we HAVE to press more and bring the game to them. Even with 11 we would have lost. We got found out.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:53 pm 

I get your point on Lewington but it's pretty obvious he isn't our first choice any more.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:56 pm 
Alby wrote:
I get your point on Lewington but it's pretty obvious he isn't our first choice any more.

I know a few are realising it now, but you still get a few hardcore traditionalists that think he’s the same player he was 3 years ago.

He has invaluable experience and still capable against lesser teams, but think Golbourne has shown the gulf in quality this season.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:10 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:
Alby wrote:

I know a few are realising it now, but you still get a few hardcore traditionalists that think he’s the same player he was 3 years ago.

He has invaluable experience and still capable against lesser teams, but think Golbourne has shown the gulf in quality this season.

I think Robbie and Lewie recognised this at the end of last season.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:36 pm 

leodon wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:
Alby wrote:

I think Robbie and Lewie recognised this at the end of last season.

Yup.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:28 am 

Lewie's pass but Tshibola in the position that he had to foul and hence was sent off. Watch it again, poor pass from Lewie.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:36 am 

I thought Lewie defended very well in the second half.