THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Berks & Bucks Cup
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:00 am 

An interesting (if a little long) read about the B&B Cup from the perspective of one of the smaller teams. I hadn’t realised expanding it to step 5 clubs had made such a big difference.

https://www.footballinbracknell.co.uk/f ... mpetition/

I’ve always thought it’s to our eternal credit that we still enter a side (albeit under 23, and with no home games) while Reading & Wycombe turn their noses up and pay the FA fine. That said, I understand Wycombe have scrapped their Youth set up so it would be impossible for them currently. Surely Reading would benefit though?

Post subject: Re: Berks & Bucks Cup
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:09 am 

Camdenite wrote:
An interesting (if a little long) read about the B&B Cup from the perspective of one of the smaller teams. I hadn’t realised expanding it to step 5 clubs had made such a big difference.

I’ve always thought it’s to our eternal credit that we still enter a side (albeit under 23, and with no home games) while Reading & Wycombe turn their noses up and pay the FA fine. That said, I understand Wycombe have scrapped their Youth set up so it would be impossible for them currently. Surely Reading would benefit though?

It was interesting to read, although poorly written (I wonder if it was even proofread), it's interesting to see the view of a fan from the lower divisions of English football, and his opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:11 am 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Yes, an interesting article.
There were parallels throughout with the Checkatrade Trophy: a smaller competition needing to be revamped due to club and fan apathy about earlier rounds and whether it just creates unnecessarily extra games for small clubs.
And the extra argument about bigger clubs (us!) playing U23 teams in it and potentially winning what is really a competition for non-league teams and taking a possible final appearance and a trophy away from one of them.
As with the Checkatrade, I see no problem in bigger teams being allowed to play an U23 team - provided they don't pick any £30m Belgian international strikers. :(
And I hope we win it, as it will be good experience for the youngsters.

Nobody ever mentions the 35 year old Portuguese international keeper, much worse in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:46 am 

RobbieGiveUsAWave wrote:
Camdenite wrote:

It was interesting to read, although poorly written (I wonder if it was even proofread), it's interesting to see the view of a fan from the lower divisions of English football, and his opinion.

In fairness, Tom is just a fan and doesn't profess to be a journo.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:50 am 

I think it's great that step 5 clubs can pit their wits against professional teams, i hope they keep the format for the forthcoming seasons - if we ever draw Binfield then I've already told them I'm coming out of retirement :lol:
For the interim i'm enjoying being able to leave at 7 and be home by 10 to watch a Dons game :D

Bring on Slough... 8-)