THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: It's Only A Game, Part 2
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:14 pm 

Over two years ago I got ill. In actual fact, I got very ill indeed. Which resulted in me having to have some of me amputated. Then a year later I had sepsis. It's not good. In actual fact it's partially rubbish, and resulted in a stay over in MK General.
Now, I was a lot worse than I let on to anyone. ANYONE! I put a brave face on it, and like my charity work, I don't like to talk about it. But I pulled through, and I'm as close to my fighting weight as possible.

I started feeling ill away at Reading, when we were still in The Championship. It was a beautiful day. Remember it? Cracker. Anyway. This time last year I was told that there was a good chance that I'd lose my right leg. Have it amputated basically. Had an MRI scan (privately, at the tax payers expense), my office were getting prepared to lose me, and I'm spectacularly good at what I do. But I pulled through, and now only have to visit hospital twice a month. Still at your expense. Cheers for that.

We, as a collective, drew away to Fleetwood. That's not really the end of the world. It's a draw away to another team, in L1.

If we're relegated, then it's no big deal for me. I'll only be glad that I'll be here to see it. On what's left of two good legs.

So some perspective. There are far worse things in this life than your team falling down to L2.

If we do go down, it won't be the end of the world. It'll be a bit shit I grant you. But it won't be the end of the world, and like me, we'll come back stronger than ever.

So why don't you, like me, sink a few tonight, and be grateful that you've still got your health.

Cheers :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:21 pm 

Raising a glass in your, L2 and MKD's honour. Right now. Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:23 pm 

Gers wrote:
Over two years ago I got ill. In actual fact, I got very ill indeed. Which resulted in me having to have some of me amputated. Then a year later I had sepsis. It's not good. In actual fact it's partially rubbish, and resulted in a stay over in MK General.
Now, I was a lot worse than I let on to anyone. ANYONE! I put a brave face on it, and like my charity work, I don't like to talk about it. But I pulled through, and I'm as close to my fighting weight as possible.

I started feeling ill away at Reading, when we were still in The Championship. It was a beautiful day. Remember it? Cracker. Anyway. This time last year I was told that there was a good chance that I'd lose my right leg. Have it amputated basically. Had an MRI scan (privately, at the tax payers expense), my office were getting prepared to lose me, and I'm spectacularly good at what I do. But I pulled through, and now only have to visit hospital twice a month. Still at your expense. Cheers for that.

We, as a collective, drew away to Fleetwood. That's not really the end of the world. It's a draw away to another team, in L1.

If we're relegated, then it's no big deal for me. I'll only be glad that I'll be here to see it. On what's left of two good legs.

So some perspective. There are far worse things in this life than your team falling down to L2.

If we do go down, it won't be the end of the world. It'll be a bit shit I grant you. But it won't be the end of the world, and like me, we'll come back stronger than ever.

So why don't you, like me, sink a few tonight, and be grateful that you've still got your health.

Cheers :D

At some point (too p*ssed now) I will say something about 'only a game' but the rest of what you say is spot on (hope that doesn't sound patronising - it isn't meant to be!).

I remember reading Trotsky's autobiography years ago and he said 'I had just turned 40 and was starting to take my health seriously' and I was way younger than 40 but thought 'ooh I gotta remember that'. Now, rather older than 40, I know exactly what he meant and - see posts from several of us elsewhere on here about aged relatives - I VISITED MY MOTHER TODAY IN A CARE HOME....VERY VERY DEPRESSING .... then yeah live in the moment dudes and if you ain't too bad healthwise be pleased. Be very pleased.
Hic burp belch.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:06 pm 

When I say it's only a game, I genuinely don't mean to sound flippant.

I fully understand that to others, it is a matter of life and death. But just not to me. I actually do mean it when I say I couldn't care less. My perspective on how life is, has changed. More if it doesn't get done today, it'll get done tomorrow sort of fella'.

I don't know DM. Seems like a decent sort, doing a job that most of us wouldn't want. If he does manage to keep us up I'll be amazed. But whatever, it's not his fault.

Those twats that had a go at him today really are just that... twats. What on earth possessed them? Are the same wankers that confronted Neilson at Northampton?

Some folk really are beneath contempt.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:11 pm 

Gers wrote:

I fully understand that to others, it is a matter of life and death. But just not to me. I actually do mean it when I say I couldn't care less. My perspective on how life is, has changed. More if it doesn't get done today, it'll get done tomorrow sort of fella'.

I don't know DM. Seems like a decent sort, doing a job that most of us wouldn't want. If he does manage to keep us up I'll be amazed. But whatever, it's not his fault.

Those twats that had a go at him today really are just that... twats. What on earth possessed them? Are the same wankers that confronted Neilson at Northampton?

All men think all men mortal, but themselves.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:15 pm 

Don Direction wrote:
Gers wrote:

And the older you get, the more you realise how wrong you are.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:21 pm 

Gers wrote:
Don Direction wrote:
Gers wrote:

Yes. Youth is wasted on the young after all. I was seriously ill two years ago today. I went private and they told me I had a brain tumour. The NHS told me to drink more water. It is only a game but a bloody good game with ups and downs. This season is part of the cycle. If folk want guaranteed success then support Man City this season, Chelsea the next and then Man Utd etc.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:48 pm 

Don Direction wrote:
Gers wrote:
Don Direction wrote:
Gers wrote:

Yes. Youth is wasted on the young after all. I was seriously ill two years ago today. I went private and they told me I had a brain tumour. The NHS told me to drink more water. It is only a game but a bloody good game with ups and downs. This season is part of the cycle. If folk want guaranteed success then support Man City this season, Chelsea the next and then Man Utd etc.

I hope you're well now? Something like that really puts football in it's place. It's important, it's brilliant but it isn't everthing,

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:01 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
Don Direction wrote:
Gers wrote:
Don Direction wrote:
Gers wrote:

I hope you're well now? Something like that really puts football in it's place. It's important, it's brilliant but it isn't everthing,

Yeah I’m ok now. I was the best off out of everyone on my ward so I am lucky.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:26 am 

At the risk of this turning into an episode of casualty, I have an incurable lung decease and a rare genetic problem with my immune system which exasperates my problem. I spend around 23hours a week taking medication not including regular visits to Papworth and addenbrooks hospitals. Around ten years ago I was seriously ill in Papworth for a month, they called my wife and daughter in one night as they thought I had had my lot. I pulled through it but live every day not knowing if the next infection is going to kill me. Sorry though, I still want to see my football team win and the boost it gives me when they do.