THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Winkelman's
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:50 pm 

Thedonandonly wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:
Thedonandonly wrote:
I claimed that this was a business/land deal when relocation took place and I've seen nothing to change my mind.

I wasn't going to come back for a while, but clearly you didn't listen to 3 Counties radio and Pete's comments in the background to claim this was just a business / land deal.

Think it was by chance that he happened to be positioned by the radio lot?

Yes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:21 pm 

Thedonandonly wrote:
donmentor wrote:
Probably the most provocative and ridiculous post I have ever read.

If you are one of the supposed WUMs people refer to, I hope this gets the 101.

Thought provoking, it's a forum after all

The only thoughts that provokes is that you are nuts.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:30 pm 

Thedonandonly wrote:
Have a lot to answer for....are taking a pretty penny in wages from the club and their decision making has been truly ludicrous in recent years!

Appointment of Bobby as head of recruitment.

Refusal to spend when finally getting to the championship.

Refusal to spend full stop, premier league ambition with league 2 financial backing.

Sacking KR

Appointing RN

Appointing DM, a man with NO 1st team football experience whilst in the mire of a relegation battle.

Spending the Dele money on a training ground which is still to materialise at the expense of funding the first team squad.

I claimed that this was a business/land deal when relocation took place and I've seen nothing to change my mind.
The first team continues to take a back seat and the club are losing fans fast as a consequence.

Tedious Post of the Year winner right here. Seriously TDAO, I thought you had more about you than this. Next you'll be turning up on WUP saying you got it wrong and meant to follow KFC all along.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:18 pm 

Aliramone wrote:
Thedonandonly wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:
Thedonandonly wrote:

I wasn't going to come back for a while, but clearly you didn't listen to 3 Counties radio and Pete's comments in the background to claim this was just a business / land deal.

Yes.

No, it's a conspiracy. I blame Walkers crisps, they switched the colours of Salt & Vinegar and Cheese & Onion as part of their mind control New World Order plan. Google it! Also, aeroplane contrails are turning the frogs gay.

Wibble.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:06 am 

Donbell wrote:
Boring same shit different day. Wonderful stadium. Set disability teams. Highest percentage of young fans in all leagues. (The future) deli alli one of our products of our academy. We still have an average of 8k. We go down. It's still not a given. We are still growing. Going down if it happens will be part of our history. Boo hoo its not the end. Being a supporter is more hope dreams than glory. Everything is in place all it needs is a performing team and loyal fans. Support your team to the end or lie down and die.

Well said DB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:12 am 

Thedonandonly wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:
Thedonandonly wrote:

What a far thinker Pete is, to get involved with the design of the Fleetwood stadium just so many years later he could engineer that if we in trouble he could get his voice on 3CR just to pretend he cared. I understand he has done this at every stadium we are ever likely to play in just in case he ever needs it. It has cost him an absolute fortune and the real reason he doesn't have any money to spend on the team.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:17 am 
Thedonandonly wrote:
Have a lot to answer for....are taking a pretty penny in wages from the club and their decision making has been truly ludicrous in recent years!

Refusal to spend full stop, premier league ambition with league 2 financial backing.

Sacking KR

Appointing RN

Appointing DM, a man with NO 1st team football experience whilst in the mire of a relegation battle.

Spending the Dele money on a training ground which is still to materialise at the expense of funding the first team squad.

The first team continues to take a back seat and the club are losing fans fast as a consequence.

1. Firstly, Bobby W has generally done a very good job. He was apparently responsible for signing Harvey Barnes, and numerous other good signings the past couple of seasons. Think it was OntheDot that mentioned that it was Neilson's recruitment guy that was responsible for this summer's signings, so you can't blame Bobby for that. In general, I think he does a decent job.

2. "Refusal to spend" :lol: what planet are you on. He has openly admitted pretty much wasting £1m+ that summer - didn't admit on what but it is believed to be the signings of Benavente and Aguza (plus relocation, agent fees etc). Hardly "refusing to spend". He also offered Karl the following season's budget early in January of our Championship season, but KR apparently refused. Again, PW openly offering cash. He doesn't have megamillions, but you really can't say he hasn't put his hand in his pocket at all.

3. It's been mentioned several times over the past few seasons in interviews that we have been in the top end in terms of League One budgets. This has been corroborated by other sources - Peterborough's chairman Darragh MacAnthony stating that Posh couldn't compete with us on wages for Gilbey for example, and Bradford's manager at the time stating that he couldn't compete with us for wages for Agard.

4. Sacking KR was the right thing to do. We were on a downward spiral, we were relegated under his watch. The only mistake they made was not sacking him sooner.

5. Neilson was a good prospect - experienced, a promotion under his belt and at the time of joining us was second in the SPL (equivalent to League One/bottom end Championship). For someone with his level of experience he had accomplished a lot, and had more experience and success than DM.

6. Appointing DM is a risk but a calculated one. He has a very experienced no2 (Keith Millen), and DM is very well respected nationally. He coached the England U16 team, many of whom went on to win a World Cup, our first since 1966 as a nation. He is extremely well respected in academy circles and is credited with developing Dele and others. He is not a short term fix, but was hired with a long term view in mind. I and many others would much rather watch an MK Dons team play "the right way" with an exciting unknown prospect than a one dimensional manager who may or may not keep us up but nothing more. Again, DM was a risk. It may, or may not pay off. But I'd rather take a risk and potentially succeed massively than play it safe and settle for League One for the next decade.

7. The Dele money being used for the training ground is an excellent use of money. Let's say you spent £2m of that on 3-4 players who may or may not work out for a season or two before moving on, either with or without us being promoted. That £2m is then gone and never returned. A training ground is vitally important for several reasons. Planning permission and development take time. Pete said it himself it took TEN years to get the stadium approved and built. The training ground has taken less than that so far. This isn't a short term "lets get it built ASAP" project. It will be built and will benefit the club for decades to come. When it is complete it will rival most Championship and even some Prem clubs. Investing millions in a training ground is a wise move as it becomes an asset worth something, and not an expendable 3-4 players that will probably move on within a couple of years for pennies or a free. The bigger picture is the sell on clause which will likely net us £15m+.

Last edited by FilthyDon on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:20 am 

pete is a busted flush there is no money as long as he is in control the club is always going down the leagues

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:41 am 

FilthyDon wrote:
Thedonandonly wrote:

Sacking KR

Appointing RN

1. Firstly, Bobby W has generally done a very good job. He was apparently responsible for signing Harvey Barnes, and numerous other good signings the past couple of seasons. Think it was OntheDot that mentioned that it was Neilson's recruitment guy that was responsible for this summer's signings, so you can't blame Bobby for that. In general, I think he does a decent job.

2. "Refusal to spend" :lol: what planet are you on. He has openly admitted pretty much wasting £1m+ that summer - didn't admit on what but it is believed to be the signings of Benavente and Aguza (plus relocation, agent fees etc). Hardly "refusing to spend". He also offered Karl the following season's budget early in January of our Championship season, but KR apparently refused. Again, PW openly offering cash. He doesn't have megamillions, but you really can't say he hasn't put his hand in his pocket at all.

3. It's been mentioned several times over the past few seasons in interviews that we have been in the top end in terms of League One budgets. This has been corroborated by other sources - Peterborough's chairman Darragh MacAnthony stating that Posh couldn't compete with us on wages for Gilbey for example, and Bradford's manager at the time stating that he couldn't compete with us for wages for Agard. Finally, Andy Cullen has confirmed that our budget for this season is our highest ever for League One. Highest EVER. Bottom line is, we have a very good budget for League One and pay our players well compared to top clubs in this league.

4. Sacking KR was the right thing to do. We were on a downward spiral, we were relegated under his watch. The only mistake they made was not sacking him sooner.

5. Neilson was a good prospect - experienced, a promotion under his belt and at the time of joining us was second in the SPL (equivalent to League One/bottom end Championship). For someone with his level of experience he had accomplished a lot, and had more experience and success than DM.

6. Appointing DM is a risk but a calculated one. He has a very experienced no2 (Keith Millen), and DM is very well respected nationally. He coached the England U16 team, many of whom went on to win a World Cup, our first since 1966 as a nation. He is extremely well respected in academy circles and is credited with developing Dele and others. He is not a short term fix, but was hired with a long term view in mind. I and many others would much rather watch an MK Dons team play "the right way" with an exciting unknown prospect than a one dimensional manager who may or may not keep us up but nothing more. Again, DM was a risk. It may, or may not pay off. But I'd rather take a risk and potentially succeed massively than play it safe and settle for League One for the next decade.

7. The Dele money being used for the training ground is an excellent use of money. Let's say you spent £2m of that on 3-4 players who may or may not work out for a season or two before moving on, either with or without us being promoted. That £2m is then gone and never returned. A training ground is vitally important for several reasons. Planning permission and development take time. Pete said it himself it took TEN years to get the stadium approved and built. The training ground has taken less than that so far. This isn't a short term "lets get it built ASAP" project. It will be built and will benefit the club for decades to come. When it is complete it will rival most Championship and even some Prem clubs. Investing millions in a training ground is a wise move as it becomes an asset worth something, and not an expendable 3-4 players that will probably move on within a couple of years for pennies or a free. The bigger picture is the sell on clause which will likely net us £15m+.

Rose tinted specs, open those eyes and wake up to what's happening to the club ffs.
You're clearly influenced by the winkelbot PR machine

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:29 am 

I love how everyone is slagging off Pete for sacking Robbo, but at the time everyone was calling for it.

It was 100% the correct decision. He'd become stale here and needed to move on, which he did. Nielson came in and kept us up, so you can't argue that his recruitment wasn't a good one.

Pete has an incredibly hard job. How many Chairman do you think would have given Robbo a chance in the first place? Unless you are short of memory, you surely remember that the fan base didn't want Robbo and most thought it was a terrible decision. He in turn then went on to secure promoartion and a 4-0 win against Man United. He is our most successful manager to date.

Give Pete a break ffs and stop finding someone to blame. We as fans could do a lot better, StadMK is hardly a fortress and is more like a library that teams love come to.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next