THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: One shot on target
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:21 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
John N wrote:
While we continue to play this formation, relying on wing backs for all our width and playing with only a single striker, we will continue to fail to score enough goals to keep us up. Our players aren't good enough to operate in this way and a competent manager would realise that and change things. Unfortunately, DM doesn't seem to get it. So we are up the creek without a paddle.

John N wrote:
MovingOn wrote:
Who was the striker? :lol:

Quite! Hardly Agard's fault though, given the absence of service. And yet it still doesn't occur to our new manager that maybe, just maybe, two strikers might be worth trying if you have an inability to score goals....Seven defenders don't appear to do the job, do they?

You've been watching football since the 1950's so you must have quite a lot of views on the game. But so far, in your 60+ posts, all I've learned is that you like 4-4-2.
Feel free to discuss anything else. :D

I really don't worry too much what you have or haven't learned about what I do or do not like about the game to be honest. Perhaps you would like to give us all the benefit of your wisdom about how we should attempt to get out of the mess we are in. I have suggested playing two strikers. Not exactly revolutionary but that's my six pennyworth. So what's your solution? I'm sure you must have some ideas so try being positive and sharing them. We'd all be really grateful, I'm sure.

I also don't 'like 4-4-2' as you put it any more than I 'like' any other formation. I think it can work well for some clubs. I think it might work for us. It all depends on the circumstances. There is more than one way to skin a cat as they say.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:48 pm 

Basically, then, you are accepting relegation as a fait accompli. I don't believe it was inevitable and I don't believe that it will be nearly as straightforward to get out of League Two as you and others who agree with you appear to believe.

If you are happy with this, fine. But you have to realise that 'giving Dan time' isn't a workable option if you want to avoid relegation. We need to win at least six of our remaining matches to have any realistic chance of avoiding the drop. We won't do it if things go on as they are doing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:58 pm 

Best result we’ve had for weeks and we’re all still negative.

We played pretty well - lots of injuries and a weakened side. We did ok.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:12 am 

dons50 wrote:
Best result we’ve had for weeks and we’re all still negative.

We played pretty well - lots of injuries and a weakened side. We did ok.

let’s all do the conga, a draw with rochdale and we should now be safe, appallingly crap display but hey safety is now guaranteed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:08 am 

John N wrote:
While we continue to play this formation, relying on wing backs for all our width and playing with only a single striker, we will continue to fail to score enough goals to keep us up. Our players aren't good enough to operate in this way and a competent manager would realise that and change things. Unfortunately, DM doesn't seem to get it. So we are up the creek without a paddle.

We didn't play with a lone striker. Agard and Ugbo were up front together, with Nesbitt behind.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:29 am 

Whilst I like seeing two strikers in whatever system you like, our biggest problems at the moment are mental, organisation, and the lack of a coherent results-oriented plan. They are the challenges facing our manager.
Concentrating on trying to play the MK way, whatever that is, should not be the first priority.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:34 am 

I don't want to change the manager just on a whim, either, Bertie. But it's a counsel of despair in my eyes to accept some sort of inevitability about relegation after a bad appointment has been made, which is what you seem to be saying is now the case. And this has all the hallmarks of being a very bad appointment indeed.

The first part of DM's plan should have been survival in League One. Those players should have been scrapping and fighting for their lives out there to scrape together enough points anyhow, any way to keep us up. A change of style, a change of approach, a change of philosophy is fine. But not now, There are more urgent issues to attend to. And many of the players aren't showing the fight they need to. They aren't digging in as they should be. A lot of that is their own fault but not everything can be laid at their door. Clearly, DM isn't motivating them as successfully as he needs to. Given his total lack of senior experience does he have the ability to do so? Do they have the respect for him which is needed?

I remember when Brian Clough was appointed manager of Leeds United. It was a disastrous choice of manager for various reasons. Leeds sacked him after he had had 44 days in the job. If a mistake has been made, you put it right asap. Not on a whim, not through impatience, but because you realise you got it wrong and need to do something urgently to sort it out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:52 am 

Toby Carvery wrote:
John N wrote:

We didn't play with a lone striker. Agard and Ugbo were up front together, with Nesbitt behind.

Ugbo and Agard weren't playing as a pair. Agard was, as usual, up front on his own and Ugbo and Nesbitt were floating behind as I heard the commentary. Whatever they were doing, it wasn't a strike partnership and it didn't play like one. It didn't work, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:05 am 

John N wrote:
Toby Carvery wrote:
John N wrote:

Ugbo and Agard weren't playing as a pair. Agard was, as usual, up front on his own and Ugbo and Nesbitt were floating behind as I heard the commentary. Whatever they were doing, it wasn't a strike partnership and it didn't play like one. It didn't work, that's for sure.

I watched the match and they did play as a pair. Whether it worked is a different question.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:34 am 

I was at the game. Agard was the striker and Ugbo and Nesbit supported him. Ugbo played well.

Sausage is right. Formation isn't the issue at the moment, it's confidence. Not an easy one to sort.

We've having a bad time and we also have a lot of injuries and suspensions to key players.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next