THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Who deserves to stay?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:25 pm 
Let's be brutal. If it's not the manager and it's the players who aren't stepping up for a relegation battle, which players wouldn't you want to remain in the squad beyond the summer? Obviously doesn't apply to the loanees.

I know that lots of them are under contract until 2019/2020, but let's say that there was an easy route out for them.

A few of our players are simply a shadow of their former selves compared to last season. Who needs to go? Who is dragging the team down? Which players could we do better than in their positions?

Need to go, no questions asked:
Cissé (slow, gives the ball away, we can do much better in his position)
Wootton (serious liability, error prone and responsible for so many goals this season)
Nicholls (far more error prone than Martin, again made lots of mistakes that have lead to goals this season)
Sow (just not good enough)
Rasulo (stayed a season too long, needs to leave for the sake of his career)
Furlong (can't see what he would add to the team and isn't even close to breaking into the first 11)
Jackson (apparently moving on anyway in the summer)

Seriously need to improve before the end of the season or should go in the summer:
Upson (so inconsistent, been anonymous second half of the season, looks disinterested most of the time)

Poor compared to previous season(s), but deserve another chance to prove themselves:

Agard (needs to score more goals)
Lewie (definitely adds something to the squad)
Williams (one of our best players last season, looks a different player this season but deserves a chance)

Young players who have potential and worth keeping for another season as squad/fringe players:
Muirhead (Definitely has ability, but needs to be more consistent with his performances)
Nesbitt (as with Muirhead)
McGrandles (looked solid for most of the season, perhaps needs to step his game up to the next level)
Pawlett (not seen enough of him, but adds a bit of pace)
BTA (needs to really push next season)
Nombe (really like the look of him, one of our better academy graduates)
Logan (rated highly, deserves a shot at next season)
Tilney (was decent end of last season, hoping he has a good pre-season and challenging for a place next season)
Kasumu (not seen enough of him but only recently signed a contract)
Asonganyi (one of our hottest academy prospects)
Sietsma (nothing that suggests he shouldn't be here, hasn't had enough opportunities to show what he can do)

Stay, will be key for next season:
Aneke (carries the team, our best player by far)
Walsh (our best CB by far)
Brittain (lots of potential, looks promising as a midfielder and adds a bit of spark)
Gilbey (looks the most up for it, good all rounder)

Last edited by FilthyDon on Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:33 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:
Let's be brutal. If it's not the manager and it's the players who aren't stepping up for a relegation battle, which players wouldn't you want to remain in the squad beyond the summer? Obviously doesn't apply to the loanees.

I know that lots of them are under contract until 2019/2020, but let's say that there was an easy route out for them.

A few of our players are simply a shadow of their former selves compared to last season. Who needs to go? Who is dragging the team down? Which players could we do better than in their positions?

Need to go, no questions asked:
Cissé, Wootton, Nicholls, Sow, Rasulo, Furlong

Seriously need to improve before the end of the season or should go in the summer:
Upson

Poor compared to previous season(s), but deserve another chance to prove themselves:
Agard, Lewie, Williams

Young players who have potential and worth keeping for another season as squad/fringe players:
Muirhead, Nesbitt, McGrandles, Pawlett, BTA, Nombe, Logan, Tilney, Jackson, Kasumu, Asonganyi, Sietsma

Stay, will be key for next season:
Aneke, Walsh, Brittain, Gilbey

What have rasulo and furlong done to suggest they need to go?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:34 pm 

I would keep Nicholls, he has been MotM on a number of occasions.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:44 pm 
Otterspocket wrote:

What have they done that suggests they deserve to stay?

Rasulo has had a pro contract since 2014, and made a grand total of 12 league appearances. He's played under 3 different managers now, none of whom seem to rate him good enough to be in the matchday squad for more than a game as cover. He simply isn't good enough for us, and if he wants a worthwhile career needs to be looking for another club. No idea why he keeps getting his contract renewed.

Furlong signed his pro deal in 2016 and made a couple of appearances but barely makes the bench. Never heard any glowing reports about him, can't really see what he adds to the squad or what he adds long term. For his position there is so much competition and I can't ever see him becoming a regular for us.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:47 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:
Otterspocket wrote:

Rasulo has had a pro contract since 2014, and made a grand total of 12 league appearances. He's played under 3 different managers now, none of whom seem to rate him good enough to be in the matchday squad for more than a game as cover. He simply isn't good enough for us, and if he wants a worthwhile career needs to be looking for another club. No idea why he keeps getting his contract renewed.

Furlong signed his pro deal in 2016 and made a couple of appearances but barely makes the bench. Never heard any glowing reports about him, can't really see what he adds to the squad or what he adds long term. For his position there is so much competition and I can't ever see him becoming a regular for us.

My point is they've barely featured, so to write (certainly furlong) them off before the next preseason is a bit premature, especially given league two is an almost certainty and surely they both deserve a fair crack at that level before releasing them?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:51 pm 
Otterspocket wrote:

My point is they've barely featured, so to write (certainly furlong) them off before the next preseason is a bit premature, especially given league two is an almost certainty and surely they both deserve a fair crack at that level before releasing them?

There is probably a reason why they aren't featuring - because they aren't good enough. Brittain signed his pro deal around the same time Furlong did, and clearly good enough to play for us. Rasulo has had more than enough of a chance to breakthrough.

Had 2 more seasons as a pro than Brittain has, yet only played 12 times in the league.

They've had their chances. League Two isn't a far easier prospect for a relegated League One team, don't think certain players will suddenly click into place.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:29 pm 

Otterspocket wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:
Otterspocket wrote:

I think Rasulo kicked his cat a few seasons ago. Filthy's really disliked him for ages.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:31 pm 
BristolDon wrote:
Otterspocket wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:
Otterspocket wrote:

I think Rasulo kicked his cat a few seasons ago. Filthy's really disliked him for ages.

Only as a player, I'm sure he's a nice guy. Guess my instinct was right though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:04 pm 

First person out the door before any of the players is the manager.

Then those under contract who would want any of them, seriously we are probably paying them more that they would get elsewhere.

So Anke will move on, but the others we are probably stuck with those still under contract and not performing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:44 pm 

NICHOLLS MUST STAY. :ugeek: