THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:38 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nigel Reo-Coker
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:38 am 

Otterspocket wrote:
RedDotDon wrote:
MovingOn wrote:
hyper wrote:
Yep, DM confirmed it in his post match interview.

Got the impression that looking for some other out of contract players to fill the 'big gaps' in midfield. And perhaps Callum Brittain as a midfield option as well.

Did he?

He definitely did say something about the free agent market, but didn't mention if we were in discussions or who or even positions.

Ah, cheers. Tbf anyone is better than Ouss.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:21 am 
Apparently old Nigel is training with the club at the moment

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:54 pm 

This year's Flo/Bullard/Upson/Hamann joke pick. I assume it's pay-to-play only? I bloody hope so.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:56 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
This year's Flo/Bullard/Upson/Hamann joke pick. I assume it's pay-to-play only? I bloody hope so.

Hammann was not a joke. I thought he was good. It was a shame he didn't stick around for longer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:59 pm 

Russybcool wrote:
keyser soze wrote:

Hammann was not a joke. He only left cause he took the Stockport job. I think if it hadn't been for that he would have stuck around as coach. From what I remember he wasn't that bad.

I remember (and I don't remember much anyome). He was awful. They carried him on like a wardrobe and stood him in the centre circle. He bossed every ball within a 2 yard radius but couldn't move. Truly a waste of a wage.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:27 pm 

He won't sign.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:03 pm 
Towcestrian wrote:
He won't sign.

Yeah maybe not, could just be one of those that train with us to get their fitness back and then sign elsewhere. Probably asked Lewie for a favour now that Lewie is a coach.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:12 pm 

Russybcool wrote:
keyser soze wrote:

Hammann was not a joke. I thought he was good. It was a shame he didn't stick around for longer.

He did stick around for ages, usually around the centre circle doing a brilliant impression of a wardrobe.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:01 pm 
BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
When I was a lot younger I used to 'follow' one or two smaller teams and would be delighted when they signed old players who had played at the top level years before, excited that such big-name players were suddenly playing for them.
But as I've got older (and older) I've realised just how few of them prove to be good signings. Playing wise their best days are well behind them. And while, in theory, they could offer good experience and professionalism to the younger / lesser talented players, most times the players don't hang around long and don't seem to fully commit or adjust to life at the lower levels (I know I have no proof of that, but it seems that way to me).
I've grown much fonder of the idea of buying relatively unknown players on their way up the football pyramid, rather than has-beens on their way down.
Off the top of my head I'm struggling to think of many examples were an elderly, established top-flight player has dropped down and given good service in the lower divisions. Apart from maybe Jon Stead at Notts County.
Can anyone else think of any?

Don't know if "elderly" is the right word :lol:

Alan Smith was 32 when he joined us here and didn't do too badly, played 80+ games. Carl Baker was nearly 33 when he joined us and was one of our best players two seasons running, played 70+ games.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:04 pm 

Luke Chadwick everyone said past his best and injury prone !!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next