THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:54 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Towcestrian wrote:
Otterspocket wrote:
As long as the budget remains pretty much the same I have no issue with the lack of extra incentive to renew. The biggest thing for me is having the money to hold on to the better players and not have to go round either having a fire sale or a burst of mutual terminations, which could lead to two more seasons of rebuilding.

What better players? (Chuks accepted)

I will pay based on the hope this will lead to a root and branch Mick Quiche clear out.

This group have performed shit this year, but many of them are clearly good enough for league two, and also for league one if used correctly.
I would like to see us keep (if we can afford to):
Nicholls, Brittain, Williams, Walsh, Ward?
Jackson, Lewington, McGrandles, Gilbey, Pawlett, Nesbitt, Aneke, Agard, Nombe, Thomas-Asante.
Obviously some will go, and clearly Chuks will be one of them. But I'd like to see us keep a good amount of the others and build around them with what will likely be cheap signings (frees and loans - but hopefully better choices of loans next season). And crucially a creative number 10 must be one of the additions.
If we sold these players, they would all go to the championship / league one / top of league two level; none would drop down the levels. They are good enough individually to perform a solid role in a team, if utilised correctly, but collectively they have failed as the team lacks technical, creative ball-players like Reeves, Chadwick, Carruthers, etc. If we had one on the pitch, then all these other players roles become easier and more effective. And we need one or more on the pitch as we can't play Danball effectively without them.
Promotion has to be earned, even from league two, and I wouldn't be confident that, if we off-loaded most of the above, that Pete would give Dan much money after two relegations to sign players of equal or better ability. If he intends to do that, then that would be great. But as I don't think that likely then I want us to keep who we can, fill the obvious two weak parts of the team - CB and a #10 - and really try to earn promotion. Rather than offload everyone, replace cheaply, and yet assume that we'll somehow still get promotion given to us because it's all part of the grand plan.

I don't have a massive issue with those you list.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:56 pm 
WellDon wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:
RedDotDon wrote:
Will be interested to see comparable League Two club’s prices.

According to this article for this season in League Two, we would be one of the cheapest season tickets available..

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport ... s-12953177

Really don't see how anybody can moan about our season ticket prices, by L1/L2 standards they are bloody generous, especially given our stadium/seats/facilities compared to other stadiums.

That’s right....if we’re going to watch shite football, we should be grateful that we are watching it from comfy seats.
It’s always a defining factor when I treat Mrs WellDon to a meal out, if the food is crap I always console her with the info that the restraunt seating is comfortable, that usually appeases her.

I bet if someone offered you our padded stadium seats for a £50 premium on their season ticket across the season instead of a crappy wooden/plastic seat, quite a few would take it. Works out to around £2.17 a game.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:57 pm 

Doubt there’s room to cut prices when we’ll have crowds of 5,000 in a 30,000 stadium

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:20 pm 

OneManWentToSow wrote:
Doubt there’s room to cut prices when we’ll have crowds of 5,000 in a 30,000 stadium

How are you going to get MORE than 5k when the Season Ticket are as they are and there is NO value for money (entertainment) that there hasn't been for the past two years?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:21 pm 

OneManWentToSow wrote:

We didn't have crowds of 5,000 ten years ago, so no reason why we would now IMHO.

We'd also have a much bigger walk up (paying about twice the price per game as when they'd been S/T holders, in most instances) if we were doing well on the pitch.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:25 pm 

RedDotDon wrote:

Cost me more at Luton than here. I think our prices are perfectly fair for L1 or L2.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:31 pm 

donmentor wrote:
RedDotDon wrote:

Cost me more at Luton than here. I think our prices are perfectly fair for L1 or L2.

...and sitting in the main stand at Kenilworth road is not an option if you're over 5'9" ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:35 pm 

Camdenite wrote:
donmentor wrote:
RedDotDon wrote:

...and sitting in the main stand at Kenilworth road is not an option if you're over 5'9" ;)

I'm 6 Ft and yes it's a very uncomfortable tight squeeze. I have drawn blood on my knee on one occasion.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:36 pm 

Here is the BBC cost comparisons from last year.
We would compare favourably with other League 2 clubs unless you pay for the lukewarm cup of free tea in Club Red.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41482931

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:40 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:
WellDon wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:
RedDotDon wrote:

According to this article for this season in League Two, we would be one of the cheapest season tickets available..

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport ... s-12953177

Really don't see how anybody can moan about our season ticket prices, by L1/L2 standards they are bloody generous, especially given our stadium/seats/facilities compared to other stadiums.

That’s right....if we’re going to watch shite football, we should be grateful that we are watching it from comfy seats.
It’s always a defining factor when I treat Mrs WellDon to a meal out, if the food is crap I always console her with the info that the restraunt seating is comfortable, that usually appeases her.

I bet if someone offered you our padded stadium seats for a £50 premium on their season ticket across the season instead of a crappy wooden/plastic seat, quite a few would take it. Works out to around £2.17 a game.

I don't care what I would sit on. Could put my ass on an upturned milk crate, if the entertainment is poor who cares about the seat?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next