The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:09 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:
Towcestrian wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:
Play more of the fringe players. The first choice lot can't even get a point so nothing to lose with playing some of the fringe players that may be hungrier for game time and try a bit harder. Also if we go down, some of them will be more prominent next season I expect, so it gives them game time.

The likes of Rasulo, Tilney, Furlong, Sietsma, Kasumu, Asonganyi (if he's fit) etc starting games or at least getting 20-30 minutes.

Rasulo has had his chance for me. A complete luxury player, I don't understand how he keeps getting deals.

Yep I've always said I don't rate him and no idea how he is still with us. Should have been released last season. But with nothing to lose, if he wants to stay, he has one final chance to impress. I'll be gobsmacked if he is still here next season, for his own sake he needs to move.

I agree with all of that, but I just wonder if we do go down, and play Danball in league two, I really can't see us spending much on a Reeves/Chadwick/Carruthers type player, so maybe next season would be the type of season that Rasulo could play more of an first team role. I agree he should have been released by now, but if we've been giving a luxury player new deals in league one, then if we got relegated maybe he should get another year contract as, if he ever is going to contribute to the team, next year in league two under Dan would be the time.

He's always good against Newport Pagnell.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:43 pm 

Coddy wrote:
Allypally wrote:
Coddy wrote:
John N wrote:
Didn't we need a quick fix first and a long term plan after the fix had worked, though?

Whether he does or doesn't turn it around this season, I just think it's bloody unfair to judge Dan on 5 matches!

Look me in the eye and tell me if me if we played 5 won 5 scored 7 conceded 2 you wouldn't be delighted thinking this is a genius masterstroke :geek:

Cause you can judge on the decisions he's made. He's gotta be accountable . Not saying sack him btw not yey anyway just saying you can have formed some sort of opionion

Yes of course I'd be delighted if we had won 5 out of 5, scored 7 and only conceded 2. But I can guarantee some fans would still be on here moaning about the 2 conceded. As I said, Dan may not prove to be the right man, but it's to early to make that judgment. He's got off to a bad start results wise, but the team are playing better more positive football for longer spells in matches. Small steps I know, but we have to try and remain positive.

Only, I can not agree that "remaining positive" is to clap along whilst rome burns

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:02 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:
Play more of the fringe players. The first choice lot can't even get a point so nothing to lose with playing some of the fringe players that may be hungrier for game time and try a bit harder. Also if we go down, some of them will be more prominent next season I expect, so it gives them game time.

The likes of Rasulo, Tilney, Furlong, Sietsma, Kasumu, Asonganyi (if he's fit) etc starting games or at least getting 20-30 minutes.

Tilney and Asonganyi, yes, the rest I just don’t think are good enough or will be good enough, Sietsma, what I’ve seen of him in the U23 team playing at Brackley, simply is not a very good keeper, Rasulo has been hanging around for what seems an eternity without really showing any great improvement.

Haven’t seen much of Furlong or Kasumu, but neither seem to to be ripping up trees.

Relegation is going to be a disaster for this club, with little money to invest and relying on a pretty average looking fringe squad, I fear a long hard slog in league 2 if we fail to stay up, anybody thinking we’ll bounce straight back is deluded

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:06 pm 

Scribble wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:

Tilney and Asonganyi, yes, the rest I just don’t think are good enough or will be good enough, Sietsma, what I’ve seen of him in the U23 team playing at Brackley, simply is not a very good keeper, Rasulo has been hanging around for what seems an eternity without really showing any great improvement.

Haven’t seen much of Furlong or Kasumu, but neither seem to to be ripping up trees.

Relegation is going to be a disaster for this club, with little money to invest and relying on a pretty average looking fringe squad, I fear a long hard slog in league 2 if we fail to stay up, anybody thinking we’ll bounce straight back is deluded

I thought Rasulo looked terrified of the ball on Saturday . It's alright giving game experience in the lower leagues but they need to be tested in pressured environments too

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:14 pm 

Allypally wrote:
Coddy wrote:
Allypally wrote:
Coddy wrote:
John N wrote:
Didn't we need a quick fix first and a long term plan after the fix had worked, though?

Whether he does or doesn't turn it around this season, I just think it's bloody unfair to judge Dan on 5 matches!

Look me in the eye and tell me if me if we played 5 won 5 scored 7 conceded 2 you wouldn't be delighted thinking this is a genius masterstroke :geek:

Cause you can judge on the decisions he's made. He's gotta be accountable . Not saying sack him btw not yey anyway just saying you can have formed some sort of opionion

Yes of course I'd be delighted if we had won 5 out of 5, scored 7 and only conceded 2. But I can guarantee some fans would still be on here moaning about the 2 conceded. As I said, Dan may not prove to be the right man, but it's to early to make that judgment. He's got off to a bad start results wise, but the team are playing better more positive football for longer spells in matches. Small steps I know, but we have to try and remain positive.

Only, I can not agree that "remaining positive" is to clap along whilst rome burns

I try and remain positive because I'm naturally optimistic by nature. Don't for one minute think that I'm happy with the situation we are in because I'm not.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:41 pm 

Coddy wrote:
Allypally wrote:
Coddy wrote:
Allypally wrote:
Coddy wrote:
John N wrote:

I try and remain positive because I'm naturally optimistic by nature. Don't for one minute think that I'm happy with the situation we are in because I'm not.

Fair enough,

Whilst on it. Reasons to be optimistic . We've got Chuks , Sow, Tavernier , Pawlett to come back all of whch should make in positive impact on the first team DM still has Nesbitt at his disposal .

And if they're all on their game , remain fit and of course the manger picks them then we still have a fighting chance . Rochdale will be buzzing about the replay and minds maybe not on the job and Fleetwood hopefully will not have themselves sorted

6 points in the bag . Lovely

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:24 pm 

Scribble wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:

Relegation is going to be a disaster for this club, with little money to invest and relying on a pretty average looking fringe squad, I fear a long hard slog in league 2 if we fail to stay up, anybody thinking we’ll bounce straight back is deluded.

Not "a disaster" but I agree that, when people keep listing all the players we should offload if we go down and yet still talk as if it's going to be a fun promotion campaign, I do wonder who they imagine are going to lead us to the promotion. I personally think if we do go down we need to keep a good core of this current squad and just replace the current loans and the ones that opt to leave (eg Chuks) and the major weakness in our squad (CB)
If we offload plenty to save wages, I can't see us strengthening with many established league one/two players, and I agree with you that our fringe players are no certs for promotion.
We can still stay up of course but, if we go down, I'd like to see some of the younger players - Brittain, Jackson, Rasulo, Nombe, Thomas-Asante be regular members of the first team squad next year, but I wouldn't like to have to rely on them as key players. I'd prefer us to keep the likes of Nicholls, Williams, Walsh, Lewington, McGrandles, Upson or Gilbey, Pawlett, Nesbitt, Agard or Sow, and really have a launch at promotion with a good league two squad and give Dan's reign some much needed momentum, rather than fire them off and approach the season with a patched up squad and further rlsk the downward slide of the last 3 years continuing.

Yeah, I’d agree with that, the thing that bothers me is if we do offload key players and rely more on our youth, we do risk still being in decline, as you alluded to.

The rot has to be stopped and i sincerely hope PW will try to retain a core group that gives us a fighting chance

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:02 pm 

Scribble wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:

Relegation is going to be a disaster for this club, with little money to invest and relying on a pretty average looking fringe squad, I fear a long hard slog in league 2 if we fail to stay up, anybody thinking we’ll bounce straight back is deluded[/quote]
I'm deluded anyway...... 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:09 pm 

We will do just fine in the conference.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:36 pm 

Scribble wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:

Relegation is going to be a disaster for this club, with little money to invest and relying on a pretty average looking fringe squad, I fear a long hard slog in league 2 if we fail to stay up, anybody thinking we’ll bounce straight back is deluded.

Not "a disaster" but I agree that, when people keep listing all the players we should offload if we go down and yet still talk as if it's going to be a fun promotion campaign, I do wonder who they imagine are going to lead us to the promotion. I personally think if we do go down we need to keep a good core of this current squad and just replace the current loans and the ones that opt to leave (eg Chuks) and the major weakness in our squad (CB)
If we offload plenty to save wages, I can't see us strengthening with many established league one/two players, and I agree with you that our fringe players are no certs for promotion.
We can still stay up of course but, if we go down, I'd like to see some of the younger players - Brittain, Jackson, Rasulo, Nombe, Thomas-Asante be regular members of the first team squad next year, but I wouldn't like to have to rely on them as key players. I'd prefer us to keep the likes of Nicholls, Williams, Walsh, Lewington, McGrandles, Upson or Gilbey, Pawlett, Nesbitt, Agard or Sow, and really have a launch at promotion with a good league two squad and give Dan's reign some much needed momentum, rather than fire them off and approach the season with a patched up squad and further rlsk the downward slide of the last 3 years continuing.

Seem to recall a pretty hefty overhaul before 07/08.....

Guaranteed none of the out of contract lads are staying. Probably a good thing.