THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Message for DM
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:38 am 

Sausage wrote:
dons50 wrote:
How does anyone go from being an inexperienced manager to an experienced one? Everyone has to start somewhere. Dan will get better as he learns the job.

Inexperienced managers already have experience of coaching, assisting, or at least playing with adults in professional teams. DM has none of that. It’s like asking my biology teacher to give me a vasectomy.

Lovely image aside, I wonder whether the difference between managing teenagers and adults is actually that significant. Perhaps it may even be a positive that Dan has extensive experience with, say, 16-21 year old players. I would imagine he can connect with the current generation better than Colin Wanker and those of his ilk. I read that clubs in Germany are increasingly promoting youth coaches to senior teams for this reason.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:48 pm 

Toby Carvery wrote:
Sausage wrote:
dons50 wrote:
How does anyone go from being an inexperienced manager to an experienced one? Everyone has to start somewhere. Dan will get better as he learns the job.

Inexperienced managers already have experience of coaching, assisting, or at least playing with adults in professional teams. DM has none of that. It’s like asking my biology teacher to give me a vasectomy.

Lovely image aside, I wonder whether the difference between managing teenagers and adults is actually that significant. Perhaps it may even be a positive that Dan has extensive experience with, say, 16-21 year old players. I would imagine he can connect with the current generation better than Colin Wanker and those of his ilk. I read that clubs in Germany are increasingly promoting youth coaches to senior teams for this reason.

Dan was the under-16s.
I would have thought Colin Wanker and his ilk connect with pro players well enough, no-one has won more promotions than him.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:13 pm 

Location: .... In SG19 ..... APL Champion 2017/18 Betting Champion 2019/20 Power of 3 Champion 2017/18 + 19/20
Sausage wrote:
dons50 wrote:

:lol:

21/22 26 11 _9 89 LM 3rd

05/06 12 14 20 50 DW 22nd R
22/23 11 12 23 45 lm/MJ 21st R
17/18 11 12 23 45 rn/DM 23rd R
15/16 _9 12 25 39 KR 23rd R

LS: A rocky start, that's all it is.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:24 pm 

SG19 Cowshed Das Boot wrote:
Sausage wrote:
dons50 wrote:

:lol:

Sausage! you fucking crack me up! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:22 am 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Toby Carvery wrote:
Sausage wrote:
dons50 wrote:

Lovely image aside, I wonder whether the difference between managing teenagers and adults is actually that significant. Perhaps it may even be a positive that Dan has extensive experience with, say, 16-21 year old players. I would imagine he can connect with the current generation better than Colin Wanker and those of his ilk.
I read that clubs in Germany are increasingly promoting youth coaches to senior teams for this reason.
Yip, Jurgen Klopp went straight from being a player at Mainz to their manager, aged 36. David Wagner had only managed Dortmund's reserves when he got the Huddersfield job. Mauricio Pocchetino got the Espanyol job aged 39 with his only coaching experience an assistant at a ladies side. Then there's Guardiola and Zidane, who had both only managed Barca and Real Madrid B sides when they got the job at arguably the 2 biggest clubs in the world.
That's 3 of the current big six English sides managers. Add to that many other young, inexperienced appointments (Robbo, Alex Neil, etc). I can understand an argument that Dan Micciche himself may not be a good enough manager - because time may prove that right. But the argument his very inexperience makes it a terrible appointment goes against the current thinking and has been disproved many times. Young managers are very much a la mode.

The difference is that those Germans have extensive experience working in the adult professional game. Dan had none.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:54 am 

I wonder how much influence Millen actually has and if not much it may be a time for role reversal with Mullen making the decisions and Dan watching and learning on the job

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:06 pm 

Sausage wrote:
dons50 wrote:

I was once asked if I'd had a vasectomy.
"No I haven't" I replied testily.
(Yeah yeah... groan all you want but you know you'll be using that one yerself at some point ;) )

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:46 pm 

barry wrote:
I wonder how much influence Millen actually has and if not much it may be a time for role reversal with Mullen making the decisions and Dan watching and learning on the job

I wondered that as well. Gorman had a big influence in Robbo’s first two years.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:30 pm 

DM must have watched both Rochdale and Wigan, that should give him a clue that walking to the halfway line with the ball, wins nothing.

After all England have been doing that for over 30 years and what have they won!!

If the side play the same way tonight as last Saturday, then he has to go!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:48 pm 

Sausage wrote:
barry wrote:

I wondered that as well. Gorman had a big influence in Robbo’s first two years.

OMG it was massive what Gorman did for Robbo. You could tell when Gorman retired there was for want of a better word a lack of a buzz with the players and performances dropped, but give the devil his due, he learnt from Gorman and used it himself and that is why we were given a tag of one of the best footballing sides in L1, especially when we got promoted.

Now we don't even turn up most weeks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next