THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: That first half
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:36 pm 

MKAylesburyDon wrote:
Agreed it is like a morgue, we are watching the slow painful death of our time in League One

Yup. As I walked towards the stadium at 2.25 there was hardly anyone around and it was silent. Not quiet; SILENT. I actually wondered for a moment if the game had been called off or myself and the handful of others had got the wrong day.
WTF, it was easy to park and get away after the game.
Even easier next year! :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:39 pm 

Aliramone wrote:
MKAylesburyDon wrote:
Agreed it is like a morgue, we are watching the slow painful death of our time in League One

Yup. As I walked towards the stadium at 2.25 there was hardly anyone around and it was silent. Not quiet; SILENT. I actually wondered for a moment if the game had been called off or myself and the handful of others had got the wrong day.
WTF, it was easy to park and get away after the game.
Even easier next year! :D

Yes red dot bar was quiet and inside the stadium was so flat, its hard to take after what we’ve seen prior to the last couple of years. Three bad years on the trot are taking their toll.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:03 pm 
I didn't see the game today, but it can't have been worse than Oldham? That was the worst I'd seen up until now.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:06 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:
I didn't see the game today, but it can't have been worse than Oldham? That was the worst I'd seen up until now.

It wasn't so much that it was a poor performance, which it was, but it was devoid of anything to get a hold of. There was nothing. Just nothing. As flat an atmosphere as I've ever seen. Strange afternoon.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:07 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:

I watched with my eyes shut and wearing sunglasses, it was pure crap, only improved a bit when Nesbitt came on

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:14 pm 

Gers wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:

It wasn't so much that it was a poor performance, which it was, but it was devoid of anything to get a hold of. There was nothing. Just nothing. As flat an atmosphere as I've ever seen. Strange afternoon.

I know what you mean although it DID pick up after their second goal. TBH I was on the point of going home; something I have NEVER EVER done but we fought back and scored v quickly afterwards - that IS a sign of a team with some - ahem - spunk - (yeah I know we F- lost but) and Charlton were def 'rattled' for a briefish while.

I WAS going to post 'Wasn't that an album by The Doors'? but Keyser would prob come along and go 'No. No it wasn't' (which of course is true.)
Gosh darn it all this vodka on an empty stomach is taking its toll..... :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:02 pm 

Location: .... In SG19 ..... APL Champion 2017/18 Betting Champion 2019/20 Power of 3 Champion 2017/18 + 19/20
Scribble wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:

It was pure crap, only improved a bit when Nesbitt came on

This.

That first half against Charlton was even worse than Oldham.

The difference was that after creating some chances within the first 20 mins at Oldham on Tuesday night, we created almost nothing else for the remainder of the game, and continued that for over an hour into Saturday's game against Charlton, before creating anything else of any significance.
As you can see, it took us over an hour to better just 0.25 for the number of goals that an average team would have scored from the chances that we created against Charlton on Saturday :(
And for every 10 shots like the first one that was let in from distance after gifting Charlton the ball, you'd expect a goal on less than 1 in 10 occasions.
The game should have been a 1-1 from the chances created, but I guess we were the 1 in 12 lol...

21/22 26 11 _9 89 LM 3rd

05/06 12 14 20 50 DW 22nd R
22/23 11 12 23 45 lm/MJ 21st R
17/18 11 12 23 45 rn/DM 23rd R
15/16 _9 12 25 39 KR 23rd R

LS: A rocky start, that's all it is.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:18 pm 

OK, I'll be the first to admit it. I don't really understand those graphs. :oops:

Mind you, I'm suffering from the worst dose of flu in the world, ever. Ever. Far worse than that malingerer Gers.

I dare say bubonic plague isn't a picnic, but nothing to the man-flu I'm struggling with. I'm ill I tells ya, so cut me some slack.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:54 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
OK, I'll be the first to admit it. I don't really understand those graphs. :oops:

Mind you, I'm suffering from the worst dose of flu in the world, ever. Ever. Far worse than that malingerer Gers.

I dare say bubonic plague isn't a picnic, but nothing to the man-flu I'm struggling with. I'm ill I tells ya, so cut me some slack.

I went to work today. I'm a hero.

I don't want any sympathy, which is a good job as I'm not getting any.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:27 pm 

Location: .... In SG19 ..... APL Champion 2017/18 Betting Champion 2019/20 Power of 3 Champion 2017/18 + 19/20
keyser soze wrote:

No upset here at all.
They're enlightening when you get your head around them.
See here for the explanation:
https://experimental361.com/2018/02/18/ ... -feb-2018/

Relevant bits also here:
There are two numbers next to each club’s name:
The first number is how many goals they actually scored.
The second number (in brackets) is how many goals the average club would/should have scored from their shots.

The second number (in brackets - the Expected Goals) are what the lines track, with dots shown on the lines wherever goals were actually scored during the game, if any.
Every jump upwards in a line, is a shot by that team, with bigger jumps upwards corresponding to more promising chances.

The lines on the graphs track how each club’s Expected Goals tally increased over the first & second 45 min halves of the match.
Expected Goals, are the number of goals that an average team should've/would've scored, from those chances created by that team over the course of the match.

So like I said, that game should probably have been a 1-1 draw on the chances created & Expected Goals overall, but for every 10 shots like the first one let in from distance after gifting Charlton the ball 10 mins into the first half, you'd normally only expect to concede from a shot like that on 1 in 12 occasions.
However, I guess we were the 1 in 12 times it goes in lol...

Have a look at some of the other matches on there with other teams, and you'll soon get what they're getting at & how they tell a much more accurate tale of what really happened in a match, who was lucky/unlucky and who deserved to win etc. than the basic possession, shots, and shots on target stats do - hth.
https://experimental361.com/2018/02/18/ ... -feb-2018/

21/22 26 11 _9 89 LM 3rd

05/06 12 14 20 50 DW 22nd R
22/23 11 12 23 45 lm/MJ 21st R
17/18 11 12 23 45 rn/DM 23rd R
15/16 _9 12 25 39 KR 23rd R

LS: A rocky start, that's all it is.