THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: bring him home
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:16 am 

We would not have got relegated last season I am sorry to burst the bubble people like to cling onto. It was bad but we’d have turned it around and we’d have had a mediocre season but that’s to be expected in a transition period.

As for catastrophic season in the Championship grow up. What did people expect? Us to fight with teams who were spending millions? We had the smallest budget in the league that years and I felt we put in a decent effort. We got relegated with 3 games to go, I think that’s pretty good doing. Didn’t go down with a whimper all season - we just weren’t good enough. That’s better than not trying.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:18 am 

Never go back, Ince MK2 proved that point.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:21 am 

So did managers like Eddie Howe.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:55 am 

MK Jack wrote:
it’s all gone wrong since robbo went, say what you like about the bloke be he is mk dons, he was let down by pete and his tight arse approach, we would not be in this mire now if he was boss

As true as this is, something had to be done after the Southend shambles last season, the manager will always take the flak, even though the players were to blame totally, and still are!
I'd take Robinson back in a heartbeat, winkelman has made his bed, now he has to lie in it!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:57 am 

Lets also not forget, Robbo only had one successful season, and that was because he had a great team and even then we only scraped promotion on the last day of the season because Swindon bottled it.

He is having a better season than us, but he is still outside the playoffs at the moment.

He isn't the Messiah but he is not really a Naughty Boy either.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:00 am 

Didn’t want him to leave, would take him back today, even for all his irritating traits, and being a media whore.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:40 am 

Bill wrote:
Lets also not forget, Robbo only had one successful season, and that was because he had a great team and even then we only scraped promotion on the last day of the season because Swindon bottled it.

He is having a better season than us, but he is still outside the playoffs at the moment.

What are you talking about? One good season? We got in the playoffs in his first two seasons, those were good seasons. Again I wouldn’t even say the Championship season was bad.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:45 am 

Alby wrote:
Bill wrote:

What are you talking about? One good season? We got in the playoffs in his first two seasons, those were good seasons. Again I wouldn’t even say the Championship season was bad.

But Bill won’t have seen a game, right?

I was always pro Robbo right to the bitter end, but have seen enough football to know that nearly all managers have a shelf life. That’s nothing to do with “no plan b” or some other such claptrap, but eventually hearing the same voice every day at training for years will just eventually comply with the law of diminishing returns. Things needed freshening up. That doesn’t always have to be the manager, but invariably. Is.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:50 am 

Alby wrote:
Bill wrote:

And both times he blew it by not having a Plan B when the teams we were playing sussed him out.

That's why subsequent seasons he didn't do so well, until he got the players that could actually deliver his plan.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:50 am 

I don’t disagree that it was probably time to go but people seem to only look back on him the past year and a bit he was here and have it as some sort of disaster. Best manager we’ve ever had end of story. Better the devil you know maybe. We got rid of him thinking Neilson was the answerr

Apparently.

UTF

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next