THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: The Kids are alright ?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:16 pm 

Struck me on NYD that George Williams apart that not one of the first team or bench featured a product of our much fabled development programme , let's put in Callum Brittain who seems not available at the moment for whatever reason we don't seem to be seeing much coming through . The last appearance was Asonganyi for a 20 minute Cameo against Macclesfield and the other notable event was when JMT got injured Tis preferred Houghton out of position which didn't pan out well as opposed to promoting from youth
Basically , they aren't getting a look in

It's a very far cry from years ago when it seemed half the team was a product of the club and we took pride in that fact

So how do we feel about that ? Are they just not up to this level ? Is league 2 too physical? Tisdale, to me has always been a guy who believes in development or could this be a hangover from a quick succession of managers ?

Last edited by Mr. Pumblechook on Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:18 pm 

Mr. Pumblechook wrote:
Struck me on NYD that George Williams apart that not one of the first team or bench featured a product of our much fabled development programme , let's put in Callum Brittain who seems not available at the moment for whatever reason we don't seem to be seeing much coming through . The last appearance was Asonganyi for a 20 minute Cameo against Macclesfield and the other notable event was when JMT got injured Tis preferred Houghton out of position which didn't pan out well as opposed to promoting from youth
Basically , they aren't getting a look in

It's a very far cry from years ago when it seemed half the team was a product of the club and we took pride in that fact

So how do we feel about that ? Are they just not up to this level ? Is league 2 to physical? Tisdale, to me has always been a guy who believes in development or could this be a hangover from a quick succession of managers ?

I think your last sentence is relevant.

We’ve sacked three managers in the last couple of years. Who can blame the manager for taking a short term view?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:42 pm 

Location: .... In SG19 ..... APL Champion 2017/18 Betting Champion 2019/20 Power of 3 Champion 2017/18 + 19/20
dons50 wrote:
Mr. Pumblechook wrote:
Tisdale, to me has always been a guy who believes in development or could this be a hangover from a quick succession of managers ?
We’ve sacked three managers in the last couple of years. Who can blame the manager for taking a short term view?
Tisdale knows a bit more about football than they or we do - this time the manager does know best. 8-)

21/22 26 11 _9 89 LM 3rd

05/06 12 14 20 50 DW 22nd R
22/23 11 12 23 45 lm/MJ 21st R
17/18 11 12 23 45 rn/DM 23rd R
15/16 _9 12 25 39 KR 23rd R

LS: A rocky start, that's all it is.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:43 pm 

SG19 Cowshed Das Boot wrote:
dons50 wrote:
Mr. Pumblechook wrote:
Tisdale, to me has always been a guy who believes in development or could this be a hangover from a quick succession of managers ?
Tisdale knows a bit more about football than they or we do - this time the manager does know best. 8-)

:D

I’m not knocking him.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:47 pm 

Tis has also managed to secure loans for our youngsters. Something that’s been very hit & miss for us over the years. You can’t really argue they aren’t getting a look in when they are playing elsewhere. It’s all part of their development.

Jackson is the only one that you could apply that theory to, but Tis hasn’t done anything to make me question his judgement over players so far.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:54 pm 

To be quite frank about it, how are any of the kids going to force their way into this squad?

We have a large and talented squad at this level, the likes of Asonganyi or Jackson aren’t going to challenge players like Aneke or JMT for a starting place, even with our CB crisis Tisdale preferred to use a senior player out of position.

Challenging at the top of the league is going to restrict any youngsters playing this season, I sympathise with them, but now is not the time to tinker, loaning out the younger lads will still help their development

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:56 pm 

Scribble wrote:
To be quite frank about it, how are any of the kids going to force their way into this squad?

We have a large and talented squad at this level, the likes of Asonganyi or Jackson aren’t going to challenge players like Aneke or JMT for a starting place, even with our CB crisis Tisdale preferred to use a senior player out of position.

Challenging at the top of the league is going to restrict any youngsters playing this season, I sympathise with them, but now is not the time to tinker, loaning out the younger lads will still help their development

Hmmm....

Attachments:
_56391259_hansenkids1.jpg
_56391259_hansenkids1.jpg [ 32.01 KiB | Viewed 1005 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:05 pm 

I just can't see how any of the current crop of academy grads are going to improve enough to the point where they are regularly challenging for a starting spot. Usually, even us lowly fans can see those younger players who have potential - and let's be honest, none of the current academy grads look exciting enough.

We need to stop handing out contracts like candy. Too many academy grads being given contracts which are later extended, with no progression shown and no end product. Rasulo the most obvious example, but players like Jackson and BTA are getting towards that kind of territory. It's not entirely their fault for not being 'good enough' - we only seem to give them barely a few minutes as a sub to impress, and inevitably that doesn't happen.

Not saying they are all bad players at all - they are obviously capable enough to play men's senior football - the problem (which is a good one to have) is that we don't have to settle/resort to merely 'capable' when we have such quality in all positions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:18 pm 

Filthy wrote:
I just can't see how any of the current crop of academy grads are going to improve enough to the point where they are regularly challenging for a starting spot. Usually, even us lowly fans can see those younger players who have potential - and let's be honest, none of the current academy grads look exciting enough.

We need to stop handing out contracts like candy. Too many academy grads being given contracts which are later extended, with no progression shown and no end product. Rasulo the most obvious example, but players like Jackson and BTA are getting towards that kind of territory. It's not entirely their fault for not being 'good enough' - we only seem to give them barely a few minutes as a sub to impress, and inevitably that doesn't happen.

Sorry, but I think you’re way off the mark over the potential they have (and more importantly the regard they’re held in by those at the club). Not every lad is going to be first team ready like Dele at 17 and defensive positions certainly means a longer “incubation” until they’re physically capable of playing against senior porous. What’s happening now is that we have a proper under 23’s and that gives youngsters the opportunity to develop. We’re using that, just like every club who runs a proper academy and under 23’s. What you’ve described is the same everywhere else. Players like Rasulo suffered because they had nowhere to go at a key point in their development.

Of course not all will come through, but we simply have to give them that pathway at 18+ and that involves “handing out contracts like candy” as you put it. Another point to consider is that not doing so sends the wrong message to parents about where to send their lad to. There’s a lot of clubs fishing in the same pond.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:04 pm 

I think the turnover in managers is certainly a factor in terms managers coaching what they want from players but I do think at the moment the programme seems bereft of anyone really putting there hand up to stake a claim when opportunities are offered . Yes, players develop at different pace I get that, but you should still see the green sprouts

I should add I quite liked Finn Tapp when he was given a run . Looked confident could read the game well so i watch that space with interest

I would imagine it would be a concern in the boardroom , it takes a fair old welly of finance if you have a batch with no sell on value

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next