THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:07 pm 

This could be the problem, asking lower league players to play like Barcelona, playing this way in the lower leagues ain't going to get you promotion and if we go into league two , playing like that , ain't going to get promotion in that league, we must mix the play up, a bit of everything, I bet if Shrewsbury were told to play that type of football it would not work for them , in a nutshell ,trying to play like Barcelona won't work in league one and two, we don't have the players to play like that, unless maybe we spend some money, which we don't have, and if we go down ,there is no chance of getting the right players in, let's get the right players in that can do well in the lower leagues, no fancy stuff, just players that work harder than the opposition, and want it more, if it means youngsters, or non league players so be it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:36 pm 

Possibly from now on.
DEFEND LIKE F.
THEN HIT 'EM ON THE BREAK FROM SET PIECES. :ugeek: :ugeek:
(if it MEANS STAYING UP SO BE IT, i'LL PUT UP WITH IT)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:38 pm 

Hugo wrote:
This could be the problem, asking lower league players to play like Barcelona, playing this way in the lower leagues ain't going to get you promotion and if we go into league two , playing like that , ain't going to get promotion in that league, we must mix the play up, a bit of everything, I bet if Shrewsbury were told to play that type of football it would not work for them , in a nutshell ,trying to play like Barcelona won't work in league one and two, we don't have the players to play like that, unless maybe we spend some money, which we don't have, and if we go down ,there is no chance of getting the right players in, let's get the right players in that can do well in the lower leagues, no fancy stuff, just players that work harder than the opposition, and want it more, if it means youngsters, or non league players so be it.

One minute the squad isn't good enough and the next minute they need to play free flowing pretty football which frankly doesn't get sustained at this level.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:57 am 

farcelona

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:50 am 

Totally agree with Hugo.
This style of football will not get promotion from League 1 or 2 or bums on seats.
Fans want fast exciting football.

It's too easy to smother this "always play to feet" football, just a Coventry did, compress play into 15 yards and keep discipline.
Job Done!!!!

I've watched loads of football at this level over the years, if you want get promoted out of this league you need a big strong centre forward who can work the defence.
Two strong tackling ball winners in midfield and two solid centre backs, if you haven't got all these the team will struggle.

Most players at this level are journeyman professionals, they are not flair players but are well drilled at what they do!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:54 am 

kawasakitwin wrote:
Totally agree with Hugo.
This style of football will not get promotion from League 1 or 2 or bums on seats.
Fans want fast exciting football.

It's too easy to smother this "always play to feet" football, just a Coventry did, compress play into 15 yards and keep discipline.
Job Done!!!!

I've watched loads of football at this level over the years, if you want get promoted out of this league you need a big strong centre forward who can work the defence.
Two strong tackling ball winners in midfield and two solid centre backs, if you haven't got all these the team will struggle.

Most players at this level are journeyman professionals, they are not flair players but are well drilled at what they do!

Historically you're right but things are changing. Nearly all pros now come through the academies. They learn a different way.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:44 pm 

It's not so much predictable, the way we play is slow, boring and easy to smother viz-a-ve Coventry. Hold a high line just outside the centre circle, with spare players to attack the ball. The way to beat the smothering game is diagonal ball over the top for the wide men to run onto. However we don't play the over the top ball, just keep trying to pass through them. No shots on goal in the second half against Oldham, says all you need to know about how we play. We need goals, not only to win games but, to get fans through the gate. We all go wanting to see our team win, not just hoping we might see a shot on goal.

To play the way we are playing at the moment you need the opposition to defend deep as Notts County did at Swansea. It gives space to play, most teams in the lower leagues don't play like that in league games.

As for 4-4-2 i'd rather a more fluid 4-3-3, or even 3-4-3 with a diamond in midfield, give the opponents something to think about.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:04 pm 

kawasakitwin wrote:
It's not so much predictable, the way we play is slow, boring and easy to smother viz-a-ve Coventry. Hold a high line just outside the centre circle, with spare players to attack the ball. The way to beat the smothering game is diagonal ball over the top for the wide men to run onto. However we don't play the over the top ball, just keep trying to pass through them. No shots on goal in the second half against Oldham, says all you need to know about how we play. We need goals, not only to win games but, to get fans through the gate. We all go wanting to see our team win, not just hoping we might see a shot on goal.

To play the way we are playing at the moment you need the opposition to defend deep as Notts County did at Swansea. It gives space to play, most teams in the lower leagues don't play like that in league games.

As for 4-4-2 i'd rather a more fluid 4-3-3, or even 3-4-3 with a diamond in midfield, give the opponents something to think about.

According to a couple of our ‘fans ‘ we want to get rid of some of our supporters not get more through the gates. Sums it up really!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:50 pm 
I’ve drawn up a list

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:31 pm 

Brando wrote:
I’ve drawn up a list

I'm checking it twice.