THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:52 am 

APL REVIEW & RESULTS SOUTHEND UNITED
Where do you start?........it’s a job to know anymore, nobody is without blame, but what’s the point of looking for the cause of the problem, searching for the reason why this club has gone from the Championship down to League 2 in three seasons, yes, I know there’s still a chance, but honestly, we haven’t won three league games in a row since we got promoted against Yeovil, and I’ve seen nothing this season to suggest its even remotely possible.

Everyone has a point of view on this most complicated of issues, and as we debate the week by week results etc, it is obvious there are many factors contributing to our downfall, and its probably the collective problems rather than an individual one that can be pointed at as the main reason, although some would argue with that, and point at the lack of player investment, or what is possibly the common factor behind all these problems.

I will say there are many valid arguments, none of them are wrong, every single one has some substance, and even Dan who was dealt a bad hand, but sadly played it even worse, should not be exempt from criticism, but to sack him now is just pointless, which ironically will probably be our situation in the last three games.

So, if the bean counters did sack him, or he walked on Tuesday night which is very possible, where would we go next, the Chairman staked his reputation on a Scottish import often touted as his first choice although it later comes out he was the second choice, who he promised was going to bring exciting football to Milton Keynes and that went horribly wrong, now we have Dan and his plan, so how much faith do you put in Pete getting it right this time round ?

I’ve seen posts about signing one of these wonderful experienced managers that can turn a failing side round, firstly I’d question who of any quality would want to come here with the pittance he will have to spend, and if it was so bloody easy to sign one these trouble-shooter type managers, wouldn’t everybody be doing it. At the end of the day it comes down to one simple fact, the team is not good enough, and they are where they are because the are the second worst side in League 1, whose to blame, well we all have our ideas and theory’s.

As you are aware I’m a bit of a Statto at times, whilst stats don’t always give you an accurate picture they go some way to explain things, and I was just looking at our League record over the last three years and we have won just 35 games from the 135 games played, even the most rose stinted spectacle wearer amongst us has to admit that’s way past poor.

In that time none of the three managers we’ve had has smothered himself in glory, one of which was touted as the best young manager in England, another who was the biggest and brightest managerial talent in Scotland, well according to Pete anyway and certainly not the fans of the Jam Tarts, and the present incumbent could be said to have had a major influence in the England youth set up that has seen considerable success in the last two or three years.

I don’t think any of them are bad managers, Robbo left Charlton in a better state than when he came in and is arguably the best MK Dons manager ever, Robbie was in terms of results the 2nd best manager in Scotland, but trying to be respectful its not easy to quantify the standard in the Scottish Leagues and some of those teams in the Scottish Premiership would possibly struggle in League 2, who knows, and of course we have Dan, a rookie manager, a lovely guy, eager to please but without the tools in his bag to do the job, could he develop, could he turn this club round, we might never find out, but one thing in my mind is for sure, if Dan is replaced, and yes there will be a load of applicants, its going to take much more than a proven manager to get this side playing winning football even in League 2.

Next season I would hope we can bounce straight back, but as Luke Ashmead said yesterday, without investment that looks highly unlikely, and if a Chairman cannot inject cash into a club when its sitting in the Championship, what chance of that cash being forthcoming now as we go about our business in League 2, and with all those bumper away crowds to look forward to as well.

I would suggest that the opposite will happen, as the club will more than likely have to tighten its belt, sponsorship will be harder to come by, attendances will undoubtedly fall, and all this means a reduced income, and therefore there will be less of a willingness to spend cash to halt the drop, and there will be plenty of measures put in place to try and save money, so don’t be surprised if they close sections of the ground next season, when in reality it probably is time to throw caution to the wind and take that gamble, and it is one, we won’t be the first team to fall foul of this strategy, but I would further suggest we missed the boat when we were in the Championship, and it could be too little, too late now.

I maintain we did it on the cheap in the Championship by rewarding League 1 players that were basically doomed before we kicked a ball in anger and when you look at the players we brought in that season its not hard to understand why, the likes of Cropper, Jennings, Church, Benavente, Aguza, Maynard, Revell and Matt Upson, with just Joe Walsh being the only positive thing.

Anyway, if all those that never dreamt we would get relegated and slagged off those that said relegation was a distinct bloody possibility can form an orderly line outside the front door on Saturday, Ill kick your arse as I walk in.........about 2pm suit you?

As I’m writing this I’ve just heard that Dan has been sacked, which I feel is totally ridiculous, why now, we have become a joke of a club, sadly another man has lost his job, whilst perhaps those that should be shouldering the blame remain in place....another sad day to sit alongside the many others that have gone on before........where now ?

Looking at the APL, just 31 predictions this week, I presume most have given up like the players, anyway just 43 points gained in total, and 10 people recording points of some description. The highest points winners are those that predicted the Dons would lose to nil, they all scored 7 points each.

That’s it, the Bradford thread is out, see you at the relegation party.

8-) WellDon

THE APL HALL OF FAME
3 – MK59DON, Southstander
2 – FilthyDon, Camdenite, Blodwyn, Scribble, Dazzerdon, Greg, BertieWoostersDonsClub, Oldfarmdons
1 – mkdonsdan4, BuzzardDon, kempstondons6, ChaChaDon, epdon, Kowalski, Grundit, Sparky, Bloxham Don, Just A Don, Woburn, Peterr, APMKDon, Steampunk Don, Fraser, RedDotDon, SG19 Cowshed das Boot, Matthew. Nobbydon, WellDon, Mightydons, Oldbloke, chrisdon

APL LEAGUE TABLE 2017/18
160 POINTS – SG19 Cowshed das Boot
153 POINTS – Scribble
143 POINTS - FilthyDon
136 POINTS – Southstander
127 POINTS – BertieWoostersDonsClub
125 POINTS - Camdenite
118 POINTS - Sparky
117 POINTS – Nobbydon
115 POINTS – Woburn
102 POINTS - Greg
101 POINTS – TomMac&Ernie
92 POINTS – Bloxham Don
91 POINTS – SteelbackDon
87 POINTS - Oldfarmdons
86 POINTS - donnette
84 POINTS – mightydons, Blodwyn
82 POINTS - ChaChaDon
81 POINTS – Just A Don
80 POINTS – Bill, Fraser
77 POINTS – chrisdon
71 POINTS – epdon
70 POINTS – Third Team Lucky
66 POINTS – Dons50, Dazzerdon
65 POINTS – MK59DON
64 POINTS - Oldbloke
63 POINTS – WellDon, APMKDon
62 POINTS – kempstondons6
59 POINTS – silverous
58 POINTS - OakeeDokee
57 POINTS – Don gal, mkdonsdan4
56 POINTS – familymkdonsfan, leodon
55 POINTS – OldStratfordDon
43 POINTS – D8DON, edmundpwb
38 POINTS - DonsDuck
36 POINTS - Matthew
31 POINTS – Bearhidesboy64
30 POINTS – Bex’s Dad, RussybCool
29 POINTS – Steampunk Don
27 POINTS – Dunstable Don, Abritt6564
26 POINTS – Kowalski
25 POINTS – Concretecowbelle
24 POINTS – BuzzardDon
23 POINTS – Grundit
22 POINTS – Peterr
21 POINTS – MKAylesburyDon, Alby
16 POINTS – JackDon
15 POINTS – RedDotDon
14 POINTS – Scumarmy
13 POINTS – Locutus
10 POINTS – Croydon, donmentor
9 POINTS – yorkie, MBenn90455, Zippy
8 POINTS – Cheffy1
7 POINTS – ExtraTime, MKBuffalo
6 POINTS – Dad_of_A _Don
4 POINTS – Zameen, Ten-Don, Adebayo Akinfenwa
2 POINTS – BetterCallSaul, DippyDon, Midge

Last edited by WellDon on Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:58 pm 
I would also like to gloat about calling it right. Way back in pre-season I said something wasn’t right and that we would struggle. Said Neilson should have gone earlier, but Pete waited til end of January. Said back in November that we were at real risk of relegation, yet people laughed or dismissed it as “no chance”.

I know you felt the same way WD, as did a couple of others.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:15 pm 

Location: .... In SG19 ..... APL Champion 2017/18 Betting Champion 2019/20 Power of 3 Champion 2017/18 + 19/20
Hi WD, I appear to have not been awarded the 2 points for predicting that Southend would win, whereas others with the same prediction, have.
I have every confidence that it's just an oversight.
Thanks again for all your hard work.
SG19.

21/22 26 11 _9 89 LM 3rd

05/06 12 14 20 50 DW 22nd R
22/23 11 12 23 45 lm/MJ 21st R
17/18 11 12 23 45 rn/DM 23rd R
15/16 _9 12 25 39 KR 23rd R

LS: A rocky start, that's all it is.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:55 pm 
SG19 Cowshed Das Boot wrote:
Hi WD, I appear to have not been awarded the 2 points for predicting that Southend would win, whereas others with the same prediction, have.
SG19.

I know it's not the same, but this reminds me of scum and "edit-gate".

*wipes away tear*. I miss scum.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:01 pm 

Location: .... In SG19 ..... APL Champion 2017/18 Betting Champion 2019/20 Power of 3 Champion 2017/18 + 19/20
FilthyDon wrote:
SG19.

Nonsense indeed - no similarity at all.
And Scumarmy appears to be alive and well on here, in other guises.

21/22 26 11 _9 89 LM 3rd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:02 pm 
FilthyDon wrote:
SG19.

Nonsense indeed - no similarity at all.
And Scumarmy appears to be alive and well on here, in other guises.

I don't think he is sadly.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:11 pm 

Sorry SG19......my mistake, now corrected.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:28 pm 

WellDon wrote:
Sorry SG19......my mistake, now corrected.
Many thanks :)

21/22 26 11 _9 89 LM 3rd