THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:38 pm 

Alby wrote:
May be a pretty off point but Karl Robinson was a rookie manager at the end of the 09/10 campaign where he stood in and pretty much did what Micciche did. Lost games but had the lads playing a proper style again and playing out their skins trying their hardest. That “black and white army” chant that lasted for about 20 minutes at the end of the Brighton 0-0 game if anyone remembers was because the fans back then understood when a team was putting in effort and trying but just not quite getting it right. We drew 0-0 with a depleted squad and lost 2-1 to Walsall the next week. It wasn’t a good end to the season but there were signs. Robinson probably got away with it as it was the back end of the season but generally speaking that is similar. That next season he got his own players in, adapted a style and got us into the playoffs.

Not saying that DM will get that but let’s be fair, not many managers we could realistically get would’ve done any better with this squad.

KR was a highly qualified and experienced first team coach, and had worked under Steve Highway, Sam Allerdyve and Paul Ince - who all spoke very fondly of him.

DM is a rcomplete rookie in first team affairs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:49 pm 

RedDotDon wrote:
Alby wrote:
May be a pretty off point but Karl Robinson was a rookie manager at the end of the 09/10 campaign where he stood in and pretty much did what Micciche did. Lost games but had the lads playing a proper style again and playing out their skins trying their hardest. That “black and white army” chant that lasted for about 20 minutes at the end of the Brighton 0-0 game if anyone remembers was because the fans back then understood when a team was putting in effort and trying but just not quite getting it right. We drew 0-0 with a depleted squad and lost 2-1 to Walsall the next week. It wasn’t a good end to the season but there were signs. Robinson probably got away with it as it was the back end of the season but generally speaking that is similar. That next season he got his own players in, adapted a style and got us into the playoffs.

Not saying that DM will get that but let’s be fair, not many managers we could realistically get would’ve done any better with this squad.

KR was a highly qualified and experienced first team coach, and had worked under Steve Highway, Sam Allerdyve and Paul Ince - who all spoke very fondly of him.

DM is a rcomplete rookie in first team affairs.

Everyone is a rookie at some point.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:49 pm 

Alby wrote:

Robbo was a rookie manager, but spent 2 or 3 years being assistant to the greatest manager we had up to that point. DM has managed some kids albeit at the highest level he could.

I do agree though Pep would have a tough time motivating this lot of shit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:56 pm 

Russybcool wrote:
Alby wrote:

Robbo was a rookie manager, but spent 2 or 3 years being assistant to the greatest manager we had up to that point. DM has managed some kids albeit at the highest level he could.

Ever thought they might be motivated, but just not good enough.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:15 pm 

hyper wrote:
Russybcool wrote:
Alby wrote:

No cause they are good enough. Each person in that squad came with a good reputation. Gilby was raved at by Wigan EEL had two promotions under his belt. Even Sow was a million pound signing (which I can imagine for a 2nd tier Scottish club that Hearts were then was a massive sum of money). And don't forget Agard was our top scorer last season.

What I am saying is that it is not about being good enough. It is about being arsed. There is another thread about Shrewsbury and their brilliant season, much like Yeovil and Burton before them. They have motivation to play for the badge. No other fucker bar probably Lewie probably has that connection. We are just a pay day and then they will fuck off.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:33 pm 

Dan`s job is a tough one, one of the worst squads we have ever seen and he has now somehow got to try to keep this team up, something an experienced league manager would find just as difficult

He is a novice managing at this level, there is no denying that, but he has his ideas on how we are going to play, whether this current crop are capable of doing that is a different matter.

I do understand the views of the dissenting voices, wanting someone with previous experience in this league and i suppose to a degree money played some part in that decision, but that ship has sailed, we need to stand by DM and support him and the team of rag tag footballers, trying to do what now seems unlikely and attempt to stay in this league

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:48 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Russybcool wrote:
hyper wrote:
Russybcool wrote:
Alby wrote:

No cause they are good enough. Each person in that squad came with a good reputation. Gilby was raved at by Wigan EEL had two promotions under his belt. Even Sow was a million pound signing (which I can imagine for a 2nd tier Scottish club that Hearts were then was a massive sum of money). And don't forget Agard was our top scorer last season.

What I am saying is that it is not about being good enough. It is about being arsed. There is another thread about Shrewsbury and their brilliant season, much like Yeovil and Burton before them. They have motivation to play for the badge. No other fucker bar probably Lewie probably has that connection. We are just a pay day and then they will fuck off.

I don't blame them - it's a shit badge. ;) Still wish we had something like the Milton Keynes coat of arms. Very
Striking

This is true. It is a shit badge. However, people should want to do their best in their jobs. Not half arse it and hope for the best!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:04 pm 

If we have appointed a manager who refuses point blank to adapt his play according to the circumstances then we have done something really, really brainless. Surely we should have learned something from Robinson's catastrophic last 18 months or so. For goodness' sake, have people forgotten so quickly the despair of so many of us at the total lack of a Plan B? If DM goes down that route we'll be trying to get promotion from the Conference at the start of the next but one season!

I fear we will go down. And if DM refuses to adapt after we have I fear that he will be sacked out of necessity before that season is half over. Failure to adapt contributed to the disappearance of the dinosaurs. If he behaves in the same way he will meet the same fate, I'm afraid.

I honestly don't see where this 'attractive football' stuff comes in, either. If people believe that scoring one goal in four losing matches and having less than half the shots that Oldham (not exactly world beaters) had in our Tuesday fiasco is 'attractive football' then God help us when we play some unattractive stuff!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:59 pm 

The only thing I blame DM for us stating that they could turn our strikers in to goal scorers.

Unless getting relegated is part of the method they are using

Over-optimistic that said it is for a couple of weeks still if we go down I think we need to stick with him and go again next year the football V. Walsall and Pompey was a lot better just toothless upfront

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:12 am 

In his latest interview, DM said we are creating "probably more chances for our strikers than any team in L1."

This is worrying. I have been happy to see how it goes with DM and give him time...but to make comments like that does not bode well does it ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next