THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:49 am 

FilthyDon wrote:
RedDotDon wrote:
Don Direction wrote:
Galverion wrote:
I am not going to lay into DM. We are where we are purely because of RN.

When DM took over, most of us deep down felt we would still be relegated, and that come next season it would be a "clean slate" for DM, to stamp his authority on the team, and bring in players he wants in the summer.

I for one am happy to stand by this. Any talk of sacking DM before next season is sheer folly.

We were one point away from safety when Dan was appointed. Why should we have accepted relegation?

This!

Because he's a nobody who waves to the fans and has an MK postcode people seem to be happy to accrpt it.

But he has the best hair of any MK Dons manager to date, and that counts for something

This guy gets it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:18 pm 

Initially the quality improved, there was confidence and results were expected to improve. Now that that hasn't happened, I believe the lack of experience will see us play like the end of RN. I see some comments saying last night was already like that.

I've accepted relegation, it's just that the next few months are so important for getting next season off to a winning start. We can all name teams that have dropped more than one division before stabilising (I know we're already started that process).

Just so pissed off about it all and for what it's worth, the emotional attachment to this club is reducing. Too much else to get depressed about.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:40 pm 

Don Direction wrote:
Galverion wrote:

When DM took over, most of us deep down felt we would still be relegated, and that come next season it would be a "clean slate" for DM, to stamp his authority on the team, and bring in players he wants in the summer.

I for one am happy to stand by this. Any talk of sacking DM before next season is sheer folly.

We were one point away from safety when Dan was appointed. Why should we have accepted relegation?

Er, something about rot, and something about setting in....

DM had a chance to keep us up, but how can he get the chief blame for a sinking ship ? And it takes time to turn a ship around !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:42 pm 

Galverion wrote:
Don Direction wrote:
Galverion wrote:

DM had a chance to keep us up, but how can he get the chief blame for a sinking ship ? And it takes time to turn a ship around !

This is true of every other team facing relegation but the new manager's job is to fix the issues AND get results quickly. If the expectation is that we'll never make up ONE point then fuck it, why change manager?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:21 pm 

Look at the shit he has to pick from. Cant really blame him now. Shit rolls downwards. None of the players are playing for their jobs. its like they don't give a shit about a relegation on their CV.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:07 pm 

Russybcool wrote:
Look at the shit he has to pick from. Cant really blame him now. Shit rolls downwards. None of the players are playing for their jobs. its like they don't give a shit about a relegation on their CV.

Yep. And they will happily move on in due time, leaving the club and the fans well and truly cut adrift. Great isn't it ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:12 pm 

Russybcool wrote:

If only there was a way of getting new players.

If you recall we signed a centre half on loan who had an outstanding debut so benched and a left back who is injured.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:39 pm 

RedDotDon wrote:
Don Direction wrote:
Galverion wrote:

This!

Because he's a nobody who waves to the fans and has an MK postcode people seem to be happy to accrpt it.

:lol:

Just a reminder that we are blaming a man with NO senior management experience - he is being set up to fail!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:51 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Don Direction wrote:
Galverion wrote:
Don Direction wrote:
Galverion wrote:

This is true of every other team facing relegation but the new manager's job is to fix the issues AND get results quickly. If the expectation is that we'll never make up ONE point then fuck it, why change manager?

All valid points for both sides of the argument: the truth, as usual, probably lies somewhere in between.
I wanted Grayson as I thought that he would keep us up and next season have us challenging in the top half. But when he wasn't interested the rest of the options were less impressive and I was happy to jump on board with the Micciche decision. But I knew at the time that employing a complete novice and trying to play attractive football was giving us the least, rather than the best, chance to stay up. And being only one point from safety we did have a good chance of staying up.
If we do go down I think Dan will have to share the blame as rather than coming in and making us tough to beat and focusing on the short-term relegation battle, as most managers would, Dan has focused on changing the long-term footballing philosophy at the cost of the short-term points. The long-term planning may well be beneficial in, well, the long-term, but it is quickly turning relegation from a possibility to a probability.
I'm still completely in for the long ride with Dan, but I don't think that means we can't acknowledge that so far he has made an appalling start: not just results, but team selection, subs, and not opting to bring in a striker. Let's be honest: it just couldn't have gone worse so far.
It was a long term appointment and so is way, way too soon to make any final judgements, and any calls for another change of manager are just ludicrous; but, just because I am going to give Dan all the time he needs to learn on the job, I'm not going to blindly defend him all the way either: and so far it has gone much worse than I expected. And in fact couldn't have gone any worse. But, here's an original thought: things can only get better.

Good post Bertie, totally agree.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:25 pm 

Genuine question...how long do we, as fans, give DM ? Knowing of course it is not "our decision" at all, but PW's. But what I mean is, we all said we were "willing to give RN" an opportunity and time, and most of us lost patience after a year. Same kind of timescale for DM ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next