THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Shrewsbury and mkdons
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:12 am 

We look like going down, yet Shrewsbury look like they are going to the championship, how can that be ,they have run of the mill players, bang average jorneyman players, the strange thing is if all Shrewsbury players were in our team they would be struggling in this league, why is this, tactics, getting the best out of the players, or is it our big stadium with no atmosphere that is the problem, how as it come to this, why is everything going so wrong, it can't be the budget, because it must be better than Shrewsbury.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:16 am 

Hugo wrote:
We look like going down, yet Shrewsbury look like they are going to the championship, how can that be ,they have run of the mill players, bang average jorneyman players, the strange thing is if all Shrewsbury players were in our team they would be struggling in this league, why is this, tactics, getting the best out of the players, or is it our big stadium with no atmosphere that is the problem, how as it come to this, why is everything going so wrong, it can't be the budget, because it must be better than Shrewsbury.

Poor decision making is where I would start.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:21 am 

The enigma that is confidence. In my experience, it makes a massive difference.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:28 am 
It is a bit bizarre isn't it.

They were relegation favourites for most. I remember looking ahead to the fixtures for this season and seeing us playing them last game of the season, expecting us to be playing an already relegated team, and us in the playoffs or better.

Players they have, on paper at least are unremarkable. Wasn't expecting them to still be where they are now at this stage.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:04 am 

SamCal wrote:

Not just confidence, luck plays a big part in football and our's has been atrociously bad all season.

Ugbo's shot hitting Agard last night for example.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:44 pm 

donmentor wrote:
SamCal wrote:

Not just confidence, luck plays a big part in football and our's has been atrociously bad all season.

Never down to luck. These things even out. You make sure you have a decent squad to deal with injuries and also you create enough chances in games to miss a few.

There's no way our squad and status when we came down should lead us to relegation.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:04 pm 

Gridsy wrote:
donmentor wrote:
SamCal wrote:

Never down to luck. These things even out.

Oh Yea, when is it going to start evening out for us this season then ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:35 pm 

build a bit of momentum early, win a lot of games by one goal... there is absolutely luck involved. people underestimate how much randomness plays a part in this division.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:52 pm 

Thing is, when we played them at home, our group watching were perplexed as to why they were so high up, seemed very ordinary and got lucky with a world class strike from their winger, to grab an undeserved draw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:58 pm 

Quality (Squad)
Desire/ambition (playing for the badge etc.)
Luck
Confidence
Support (fans behind team, sing when not winning etc.)
Atmosphere (empty stadium?)
Fitness
Management

I'm sure a combination of all of the above, and in professional sport it often seems to be about the margins. I'd say we have question marks if not downright crosses against most if not all of those aspects.

I think a boost in one or more of them can make all the difference - new manager bounce, bit of luck, but I think you can't fool all of them. I suspect top clubs have most of them, and bottom clubs are lacking in one or more.

I think I should publish this as some sort of footy assessment matrix, sports science or something. hahahaha.