THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:27 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:36 am 
Now that relegation is looking more of a probability than a possibility, what are the real implications for both the club and for supporters of dropping down to League 2?

Positives:

-Reduced season ticket cost
-Reduced home ticket cost
-Reduced away ticket costs
-Some good potential away days to clubs that we haven't played often (Lincoln, Exeter, Cheltenham, Grimsby, Forest Green, Barnet and whoever comes up from the Conference)
-We should be one of the better sides on the league, and legitimately one of the "biggest" clubs in the league with one of the larger budgets
-Easily the largest, and best stadium in the league by a mile (assuming Coventry get promoted)
-Potentially less 'flair'/luxury players and more EFL-experienced signings (something I think we've lacked for a while)

Negatives:

-Errea might not renew their kit supply deal which expires at the end of the season
-Less attractive to potential sponsors and existing sponsors
-May lose more lucrative existing sponsorship deals that were formed during the Championship season
-(Temporarily?) Reduced home attendances, probably dropping 500-1000 or so
-Less revenue from visiting supporters (apart from Coventry, no 'big' clubs to bring 5k+ in League 2)
-Lower quality loanees from bigger clubs
-Less appealing as a club for potential signings
-Potentially increased losses due to paying high wages to players under contract until 2019 or 2020 (Williams, Sow, Gilbey, Agard, Aneke will all be top earners on huge wages for L2)
-Losing our better players to other clubs during the summer
-Potential further delays to training ground due to adjusted financial planning?

Anything else?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:39 am 

Poorer quality of football
Maybe areas of the stadium closed off for certain games
Maybe redundancies for some backroom staff.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:43 am 

Losing our better players to other clubs during the summer

Someone needs to be interested for this to occur, anyone really want those on big contracts who have not turned up this season : Sow, Agard, Gilbey?

Only one likely to move on would be Aneke

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:46 am 
hyper wrote:

Someone needs to be interested for this to occur, anyone really want those on big contracts who have not turned up this season : Sow, Agard, Gilbey?

Gilbey might be appealing to a good League 1 side. I'm sure he expected to be at least in League 1 next season, and won't be happy having gone from L2 -> Championship -> L1 -> L2.

Agard still has a reasonable record for this level, again could see a good League 1 side coming in for him.

We might be willing to let players go on the cheap transfer fee wise just to get them off the wage bill.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:52 am 

We were discussing ticket prices/season tickets on the way home last night, the general feeling was they will not be reduced, I just feel for those that work for the club that are designated to secure player sponsorship, match sponsorship, match ball sponsorship, programme sponsorship etc.....I think they will really struggle.
Selling League 2 football at Championship prices is not going to be easy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:52 am 

FilthyDon wrote:
hyper wrote:

Gilbey might be appealing to a good League 1 side. I'm sure he expected to be at least in League 1 next season, and won't be happy having gone from L2 -> Championship -> L1 -> L2.

Agard still has a reasonable record for this level, again could see a good League 1 side coming in for him.

We might be willing to let players go on the cheap transfer fee wise just to get them off the wage bill.

You will find that we will probably have to pay to get them to leave.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:54 am 

More opportunities to develop local talent and improve links to the community.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:56 am 
WellDon wrote:
We were discussing ticket prices/season tickets on the way home last night, the general feeling was they will not be reduced, I just feel for those that work for the club that are designated to secure player sponsorship, match sponsorship, match ball sponsorship, programme sponsorship etc.....I think they will really struggle.
Selling League 2 football at Championship prices is not going to be easy.

I can't see the club not reducing season ticket prices if we drop down a level. Likewise ticket prices.

£32 for a club red ticket for MK Dons v Forest Green or MK Dons v Boreham Wood is just not going to sell.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:08 am 

Suzuki will want to terminate their sponsorship deal I assume. :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:11 am 
Aliramone wrote:
Suzuki will want to terminate their sponsorship deal I assume. :(

Tis only a matter of time before we're sponsored by "Junction 13 Building Merchants" and have a kit supplied by Surridge Sports again