THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: This club is fucked
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:51 am 

DM’s only remit should have been to keep us up and worry about the style next season. He has put the cart before the horse imo. We have next to nothing to lose now so nothing less than throwing the kitchen sink at every game now. We may as well go down fighting as losing by a single goal every week.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:51 am 

Gers wrote:
dons50 wrote:
Gers wrote:
I've got a stinking cold. Went to bed before 8 last night. Slept in. But still going to work, and have to take a new apprentice with me.

Fuck the team, feel sorry for me. I'm the one who's fucked.

Don’t be mean to him.

I'm always very good with them. When I was one I was treated in a manner that would result in a prosecution these days. So I always treat them the way I would've liked to be back in those days.

I'm still fucked though.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:12 am 

Our players aren't BAD. They just aren't exceptionally good. There's a difference.

Our promotion to the Championship was largely based on exceptional players for League One level. Ali, Grigg, Afobe and Baker together with an in form Potter. When these lost their sparkle (Baker) or moved on, we plummeted. Playing the Robbo way didn't work, because the players weren't as good. Neilson was brought in to avoid a second relegation and did that but in my opinion didn't get to the root of the problem.

We have had a succession of strikers who have not come off even though they enjoyed previous success. The reason is that they weren't in the Grigg, Afobe or Bamford class. They didn't suddenly become BAD players. This lack of success has been too consistent. I put it down to formation, NOT style. When was the last time we started a match with two central strikers? I mean two strikers playing centrally, not one striker and one playing in the hole or two playing wide right and left and cutting in. I cant remember it under Robinson, or Neilson or now DM. But strikers with relatively limited ability need to hunt in pairs. If they don't, they simply get snuffed out by the opposition defence.

In exactly the same way, we expect our width to be provided by marauding full backs/wingbacks. This has applied to Robinson, Neilson and DM teams.If players had the pace, stamina, dribbling and crossing ability to do this, fine. But you aren't going to find many in League One who have all these abilities or they wouldn't be playing at that level. The result, a shortage of decent crosses (compounded by a lot of 'wrong footed' playing up front where wide men cut inside and the whole middle becomes congested) Again, we are asking players of average ability to play beyond their capacity.

I think that an experienced manager would have recognised that our problems aren't really stylistic. We have a group of players who are average. So we should play accordingly. Does it really make sense to start a match (like at Oldham) with two very decent young wingers on the bench because they don't fit in with your wingback plan? Does it make sense to have a squad stuffed with forwards and only play one central striker? Does it make sense to be suffering a goal drought and not even TRY playing a second centre forward? I don't think it does. An experienced manager would have recognised this and at least TRIED a simple 4-4-2 which is within the capacity of the squad which we have. DM has been concentrating on style. Now is not the time for this. It isn't working. It doesn't matter whether we build from the back slowly or play more direct. That's aesthetics. Its time for going back to basics and playing a system which is within our players' capabilities. Then we might have a chance of survival. Unfortunately, PW did NOT appoint an experienced manager and this is liable to take us down.

Playing 4-4-2 and fairly direct won Leicester the Premiership title. We would do well to remember that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:15 am 

John N wrote:
Our players aren't BAD. They just aren't exceptionally good. There's a difference.

Our promotion to the Championship was largely based on exceptional players for League One level. Ali, Grigg, Afobe and Baker together with an in form Potter. When these lost their sparkle (Baker) or moved on, we plummeted. Playing the Robbo way didn't work, because the players weren't as good. Neilson was brought in to avoid a second relegation and did that but in my opinion didn't get to the root of the problem.

We have had a succession of strikers who have not come off even though they enjoyed previous success. The reason is that they weren't in the Grigg, Afobe or Bamford class. They didn't suddenly become BAD players. This lack of success has been too consistent. I put it down to formation, NOT style. When was the last time we started a match with two central strikers? I mean two strikers playing centrally, not one striker and one playing in the hole or two playing wide right and left and cutting in. I cant remember it under Robinson, or Neilson or now DM. But strikers with relatively limited ability need to hunt in pairs. If they don't, they simply get snuffed out by the opposition defence.

In exactly the same way, we expect our width to be provided by marauding full backs/wingbacks. This has applied to Robinson, Neilson and DM teams.If players had the pace, stamina, dribbling and crossing ability to do this, fine. But you aren't going to find many in League One who have all these abilities or they wouldn't be playing at that level. The result, a shortage of decent crosses (compounded by a lot of 'wrong footed' playing up front where wide men cut inside and the whole middle becomes congested) Again, we are asking players of average ability to play beyond their capacity.

I think that an experienced manager would have recognised that our problems aren't really stylistic. We have a group of players who are average. So we should play accordingly. Does it really make sense to start a match (like at Oldham) with two very decent young wingers on the bench because they don't fit in with your wingback plan? Does it make sense to have a squad stuffed with forwards and only play one central striker? Does it make sense to be suffering a goal drought and not even TRY playing a second centre forward? I don't think it does. An experienced manager would have recognised this and at least TRIED a simple 4-4-2 which is within the capacity of the squad which we have. DM has been concentrating on style. Now is not the time for this. It isn't working. It doesn't matter whether we build from the back slowly or play more direct. That's aesthetics. Its time for going back to basics and playing a system which is within our players' capabilities. Then we might have a chance of survival. Unfortunately, PW did NOT appoint an experienced manager and this is liable to take us down.

Yep.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:17 am 
Thing is, for this season at least there isn't any more Pete can do. Transfer window closed, already a record amount (for us) invested in the squad, already changed the manager (along with the expensive settlement of Neilson's crew's contracts).

He must be a very frustrated Winkie right now. He basically has to sit and watch us burn for the next couple of months. I hope he is planning for League 2 already.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:06 am 

Thedonandonly wrote:
No training ground
No money
Dwindling fan base
Can't score goals
Can't win a game
Getting relegated
Head of recruitment is a joke
Manager with no experience and a team that's not even playing for him during the honeymoon period

But other than all that....... :ugeek:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:15 am 

From Oldham forum
Pogliacomi
Chris Richard
OWTB Member
423 posts
Team:Oldham Athletic
Posted 10 hours ago
A win is a win and we won ugly today which we must do but what a terrible game of football. We could have spanked them today if we came out of first gear. We seemed really off, possibly strangled by the must win nature of the game perhaps.
Linos flag happy, Davies was on side for about 3 if the offside calls.
Could have won more convincingly if the pitch hadn't tackled AAH at the end.
MK Dongs look completely bereft of life, a far cry from the side they have been, shows how quick it can go wrong in this division.
Time to rest up players and get everyone fit and up for it, because today in periods, we looked neither of these.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:26 am 

John N wrote:

Playing 4-4-2 and fairly direct won Leicester the Premiership title. We would do well to remember that.

Absolutely this.
Although this is a far too reasoned and sensible post for this forum ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:26 am 
Kempstondons6 wrote:
MK Dongs look completely bereft of life, a far cry from the side they have been, shows how quick it can go wrong in this division.

He's right. We beat them 7-0 a couple of years ago. How the mighty have fallen.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:52 pm 

leodon wrote:
John N wrote:

Absolutely this.
Although this is a far too reasoned and sensible post for this forum ;)

Disgraceful. Should be banned.
The ultimate solution lies in the ocean. :roll: ;) :D :ugeek: :lol: 8-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next