THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:26 am 

I was reading a few bits to get a different view on the game and thought I would share some quite detailed posts from Pompey fans post game.
Quote:
Brilliant way to win. What fantastic support.

We started of well but once we'd fallen behind I honestly couldn't see us getting back into it. We were terrible. Is that just my opinion or what?
Some of our fans let us down after the game. Proper Scummy behaviour.

Quote:
McGee earned his born but Pompey were not that bad at all. We peppered their goal too and finished far the stronger

Quote:
Great turnout from Pompey, but oh my god there are some moaners. Sure I get the whole, 'I've paid my money, I'll say what I like', but can we stop kidding ourselves we're super-fans. I was surrounded by people loudly moaning at every poor pass and bad player decision. Guys, they're L1. And then a smattering of boos at half time FFS. We're 1-0 down, away, and doing OK if not brilliantly. Why would you boo?

Last thought, not sure about the Plastic Club thing with MK. Yes the management stole Wimbledon, but surely some credit to MK fans that turn up to watch their local team - can't be much fun regularly being the away crowd in your own ground. Couldn't we come up with something a bit more original that various chants, Wimbledon, Plastic Club etc - they must hear that every week. Bit like the phase of 'Pay Up Pompey' zzzzzzzz

Quote:
totally agree, not the fans fault. Big misjudgment by their owners. If they had pumped money into the local non league side they would have been in the league by now, with a big ground, untapped potential and everyone amazed by their progress.

Quote:
First thing to say is that the attendance of 6,200 Pompey fans for a game with nothing riding on it just goes to show that our supporters are fantastic. Even if we'd lost 1-0 (as was looking likely), I have no doubt that they'd all do the trip again next week simply because that's what it means to be a fan. I love away days.

I'd imagine that the ground and surrounding set up (retail, food outlets, cinema) is exactly what the Eisners would love in an ideal world. I quite liked the ground to be honest, shame that it'll take the club 50 years to build any kind of support!

Onto the game. We had the better of the first 20 mins, most attacks coming down the left through Kennedy and Donohue. Whilst we had shots they lacked conviction and generally it felt like we were lacking the confidence to really go for it. MK did look dangerous on the break and threatened a couple of times before scoring.

KJ took the bold move of taking off Ronan and Kennedy at half-time, bringing on Lowe and Chaplin to go 4-4-2. This was exactly the right move in my opinion, although I'd have taken off Evans instead of Kennedy. This gave us more pace up front and more threat - but we still huffed and puffed and looked very vulnerable to conceding a second. It took a number of excellent saves from McGee to keep us in it - he definitely doesn't have the hump from being benched last week, our MOTM.

At about 80 mins my 12 year old son asked if we were staying until the end - he got short shrift from me! Why make all the effort to go to a game then leave early! I took much pleasure all the way home telling him "that's why we never leave early"! It was hard to see exactly how the goals went in from our end, but despite wasting hundreds of corners we finally got success at one and Clarke did the business. This gave us the belief to push on for the second and the script was written for Chaplin to scrambled the 93rd winner

Quote:
TO be fair, 95% of that game was still abject. I can’t help but feel kenny didn’t really set the team up right there today but granted he turned it around. MK Dons were really poor and if there finishing was even half decent we would have been 3-0 down before we Knew it.

But, it was a good result and great end to the game.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:55 am 

Thanks for that . I really love these threads always a good read.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:33 am 

Can't really argue with any of that. Except the local club myth. Disappointed he didn't mention roundabouts and concrete cows.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:42 am 

I had 2 friends in the away end. They said no one expected them to get a draw at 80mins in and people around were starting to plan on leaving. Of course though, this is MK Dons and if anyone knows how to fuck it up, we do.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:56 am 

I thought they were largely silent.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:28 pm 

Don Direction wrote:

What?????????

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:35 pm 

If they were silent what does that make us!!!! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:35 pm 

Alby wrote:
Don Direction wrote:

What?????????

I SAID I THOUGHT THEY WERE LARGELY QUIET.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:39 pm 

Don Direction wrote:
Alby wrote:
Don Direction wrote:

What?????????

Oh cheers. Sorry I couldn’t hear you over how loud Portsmouth fans were.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:42 pm 

Alby wrote:
Don Direction wrote:
Alby wrote:
Don Direction wrote:

What?????????

Oh cheers. Sorry I couldn’t hear you over how loud Portsmouth fans were.

You missed the “largely” qualifier. They were loud at the start (louder than the home support) but then silent as the Dons dominated. When they scored they woke up again.