THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: It's Only A Game
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:40 am 

I've genuinely been somewhat dislocated from the team for the last couple of seasons. Still consider the The Dons as my team, but just not my first team. Answers on a postcard, and a prize of a massive blue teddy bear for the winner of that one.

Therefore, although not a purely dispassionate view, it's as close to it as you'll get on here.

Starting with yesterday.

I'm not about to suddenly become D50, but it was both a good game, and quite entertaining to boot. Their second goal was heartbreaking, but isn't that why we love football? The drama! That horrible sick feeling in your stomach! Being pissed off seeing them celebrate! That's life in microcosm right there.

We'll come good playing like that. It was a vast improvement over what was on offer from Neilson. A vast improvement. Save one or two dodgy performances, no name no pack drill, I thought the team played well. A stupid mistake led to their winner, but what can you do! And you'd do well to remember where we are. In the English third division. Yesterday's ref' was poor. Not appallingly poor, just poor. As already mentioned by my good self elsewhere, if he was any good he'd be at a higher level. Just like the players he officiates over. It's the third division! It's bound to be rubbish, but it's our rubbish.

I didn't see Winkelman applaud the officials after the match, but I've seen Young Alby's tweet, and folk say he's only in it for the money. He's bound to be in trouble for that. I've done some stupid things in the heat of the moment at footy, some vastly stupid things. I regret them now, but it's better to regret something you've done as opposed to something you haven't. So well done to Pete.

The wider issues of where we are now, in my opinion ONLY, lie in the stupidity of player recruitment after promotion. Alli and Grigg were always going to be difficult to replace, and at a cool £1m, Grigg could go and be on fire elsewhere. We could've taken the gamble, arguing that he already knew our philosophy. But he hardly set The Championship on fire, pun intended, when he was up there. I'm still perplexed by the signing of the two lads from Real. Absolutely no idea what went on there. Bizarre in the extreme. They weren't the only ones. JET FFS! But like I've already said, better to regret something you've done than something you've not.

We're in the shit. Right in it, but we've been here before and bounced back. Look at yesterday's opponents for example. Or our friends down the M1. Or the world's No'1 club side from the west side of Glasgow. It's a cyclical thing. We'll be back. We're not Orient, or Yeovil. We're better than them.

If we do go down, it won't be the end of the world. Sure attendances will be down. Less cash. Lower standard of footy. But look on the bright side. We won't be outnumbered at home. So every cloud and all that.

So, it is what it is. A game. No one dies. It's not life or death. It's a game. I love it, I'm watching MOTD while posting this, and will spend the afternoon watching Rangers batter Ayr. I watch it at all levels. I like going to MK. Couple of pints, bit of a chat, couple of laughs. It's a fine way to waste an afternoon. And infinitely cheaper than spending it with the current Mrs Gers, but it's only a game, and some on here would do well to remember that, and stop falling out with one another.

Post subject: Re: It's Only A Game
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:54 am 

Gers wrote:
I've genuinely been somewhat dislocated from the team for the last couple of seasons. Still consider the The Dons as my team, but just not my first team. Answers on a postcard, and a prize of a massive blue teddy bear for the winner of that one.

Therefore, although not a purely dispassionate view, it's as close to it as you'll get on here.

Starting with yesterday.

I'm not about to suddenly become D50, but it was both a good game, and quite entertaining to boot. Their second goal was heartbreaking, but isn't that why we love football? The drama! That horrible sick feeling in your stomach! Being pissed off seeing them celebrate! That's life in microcosm right there.

We'll come good playing like that. It was a vast improvement over what was on offer from Neilson. A vast improvement. Save one or two dodgy performances, no name no pack drill, I thought the team played well. A stupid mistake led to their winner, but what can you do! And you'd do well to remember where we are. In the English third division. Yesterday's ref' was poor. Not appallingly poor, just poor. As already mentioned by my good self elsewhere, if he was any good he'd be at a higher level. Just like the players he officiates over. It's the third division! It's bound to be rubbish, but it's our rubbish.

I didn't see Winkelman applaud the officials after the match, but I've seen Young Alby's tweet, and folk say he's only in it for the money. He's bound to be in trouble for that. I've done some stupid things in the heat of the moment at footy, some vastly stupid things. I regret them now, but it's better to regret something you've done as opposed to something you haven't. So well done to Pete.

The wider issues of where we are now, in my opinion ONLY, lie in the stupidity of player recruitment after promotion. Alli and Grigg were always going to be difficult to replace, and at a cool £1m, Grigg could go and be on fire elsewhere. We could've taken the gamble, arguing that he already knew our philosophy. But he hardly set The Championship on fire, pun intended, when he was up there. I'm still perplexed by the signing of the two lads from Real. Absolutely no idea what went on there. Bizarre in the extreme. They weren't the only ones. JET FFS! But like I've already said, better to regret something you've done than something you've not.

We're in the shit. Right in it, but we've been here before and bounced back. Look at yesterday's opponents for example. Or our friends down the M1. Or the world's No'1 club side from the west side of Glasgow. It's a cyclical thing. We'll be back. We're not Orient, or Yeovil. We're better than them.

If we do go down, it won't be the end of the world. Sure attendances will be down. Less cash. Lower standard of footy. But look on the bright side. We won't be outnumbered at home. So every cloud and all that.

So, it is what it is. A game. No one dies. It's not life or death. It's a game. I love it, I'm watching MOTD while posting this, and will spend the afternoon watching Rangers batter Ayr. I watch it at all levels. I like going to MK. Couple of pints, bit of a chat, couple of laughs. It's a fine way to waste an afternoon. And infinitely cheaper than spending it with the current Mrs Gers, but it's only a game, and some on here would do well to remember that, and stop falling out with one another.

Good post.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:02 am 

Gers wrote:

Starting with yesterday.

Is this the beigest comment ever !!!! Lord almighty, it's about winning!!! surely the objective opinion of everyone is about how we win more games.? The disagreements thereafter is where it's at . It's about players, management , choices being made . Even if someone posts about how slow the service getting their boviril is , thast about increased turnover to make more money to buy new players to win more games..

So mate, get the V neck on, hop in your Volvo , go down the corner shop to buy The Mail and enjoy your Sunday Roast but when the Labrador has finished licking out the bowl of your apple pie and custard , remember this... If the club goes down it's due to a severe mismanagement at numerous levels, the fans are the lifeblood . Leave discussion boards to fans that give a shit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:24 am 

You think if he wouldn't give a shit he wouldn't write such a pragmatic post on the issues at the moment, or are you expecting people who are pragmatic aren't the sort who support the team day in and day out? The two things aren't mutually exclusive mate.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:27 am 

A fine post, Gers.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:29 am 

Allypally wrote:
Gers wrote:

Starting with yesterday.

Is this the beigest comment ever !!!! Lord almighty, it's about winning!!! surely the objective opinion of everyone is about how we win more games.? The disagreements thereafter is where it's at . It's about players, management , choices being made . Even if someone posts about how slow the service getting their boviril is , thast about increased turnover to make more money to buy new players to win more games..

So mate, get the V neck on, hop in your Volvo , go down the corner shop to buy The Mail and enjoy your Sunday Roast but when the Labrador has finished licking out the bowl of your apple pie and custard , remember this... If the club goes down it's due to a severe mismanagement at numerous levels, the fans are the lifeblood . Leave discussion boards to fans that give a shit

I don't know Gers, but I've read enough of his comments to imagine him nipping down for a copy of the Mail, immensely funny. :lol:

I liked his post too.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:31 am 

To be perfectly honest, I don't know whether to be more offended by someone with 40 odd posts telling me to fuck off a footy forum, or being accused of being middle class.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:33 am 

I don't know him either but my impression is that he isn't likely to be a 'Mail' reader.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:34 am 

And I've got huskys ya' cheeky bugger. Not labs'.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:34 am 

Gers wrote:
To be perfectly honest, I don't know whether to be more offended by someone with 40 odd posts telling me to fuck off a footy forum, or being accused of being middle class.

I'm more offended that he suggested you had a Labrador.