THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: DM ... wrong choice?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:01 pm 

pay peanuts and you end up with micicche instead of a proper manager

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:07 pm 
I'm fully behind Micciche and he needs at least a full pre-season and season to inject his philosophy and bring in players that fit his mould.

Can't see PW doing anything dramatic even if we are relegated. The fact we have an experienced no2 who will no doubt be offering Micciche valuable advice suggests our problems lie with the quality of the squad, not necessarily the coaching.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:14 pm 

Well, DM's experienced oppo hasn't been outstandingly successful with his advice thus far, has he?

Getting a whole load of new players in who are capable of playing in the way in which some people want us to do isn't going to be easy by any stretch of the imagination. It will be harder in League Two. The fact is that the squad is as it is and it's up to the manager to make the best fist of what he's got now. DM hasn't shown that he is capable of doing this.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:17 pm 

MK Jack wrote:
pay peanuts and you end up with micicche instead of a proper manager

Agreed, it’s strange how Winkelman took sooooo long to appoint RN and made it clear that he was going out to find the ‘right’ man for the job. Why was that suddenly not important after RN was sacked?? Because he couldn’t afford anything better. Does Winkelman GENUINELY think DM is the right guy or was it all he could afford?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:25 pm 

I find it hard to believe that anybody would think it made economic sense to risk relegation. An experienced manager wouldn't come cheap, of course. But I'd have thought that the likely fall in gate receipts would make an appointment along lines which ran that risk very much a false economy. I just wonder whether PW felt the pressure from people who wanted pretty football and caved into it?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:30 pm 
BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:
I'm fully behind Micciche and he needs at least a full pre-season and season to inject his philosophy and bring in players that fit his mould.

Can't see PW doing anything dramatic even if we are relegated. The fact we have an experienced no2 who will no doubt be offering Micciche valuable advice suggests our problems lie with the quality of the squad, not necessarily the coaching.

Kudos to you, FD, for keeping your word. But remember when you were calling for Neilson out, and I said whoever we get in it won't take long before a new group are questioning that appointment and calling for another change?
This is what I meant.
And if we'd have appointed an experienced manager and started poorly, it would have been a different group calling for a change.
It's the modern way, but it's not helpful and bloody infuriating, isn't it?
Welcome to my side. :)

Despite what some may think, I'm not automatically calling for a manager's head just because we lose. I wanted Neilson out as I could see how he was destroying the club at several levels. I feel like with Micciche we have something back and he needs time to repair the damage.

You're right anyway, there will always be people unhappy and impatient. He's barely changed the name on the manager's office door and people are slating him. It's a bit silly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:30 pm 

This mess isn’t really Dans fault, yes it’s been disappointing, frustrating and all that, but he’s inherited an underperforming squad and it must be a nightmare trying to implement change

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:35 pm 

You can't be surprised that a lot of people are looking askance at the appointment of a totally inexperienced manager who has lost four games on the bounce and only seen his team score a single goal. Of course that was bound to happen!

Implementing change is fine providing that it's the right change. Asking players of moderate ability to play in a sophisticated and positionally demanding manner strikes many of us as not being the sort of change which will get us out of the hole in which we find ourselves.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:00 am 

John N wrote:
Four losses in a row. Do we get a bonus mark :roll: ?

One goal in four games says it all. Yet we persist in playing only one central striker and don't start the two decent young wingers we have available.

Match stats: Shots: Oldham 11 Dons 5. SOT Oldham 2 Dons 1. The commentators on 3 Counties believed that we outplayed Oldham in the first half. The stats say that we didn't.

Myself and my nephew were saying this exact thing before kickoff regarding the team selection, the only reason I could think of apart from playing for a draw was the state of the pitch.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:05 am 
John N wrote:
You can't be surprised that a lot of people are looking askance at the appointment of a totally inexperienced manager who has lost four games on the bounce and only seen his team score a single goal. Of course that was bound to happen!

Implementing change is fine providing that it's the right change. Asking players of moderate ability to play in a sophisticated and positionally demanding manner strikes many of us as not being the sort of change which will get us out of the hole in which we find ourselves.

That's fair enough, I can see why people would/will question his suitability, especially with this squad of players.

In terms of staying up, I don't think anyone including PW knows what the solution is.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next