THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: DM ... wrong choice?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:02 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
John N wrote:
Could the people who enthuse about DM please say why? At what point do results actually start to matter? Somebody said that they'd rather play the DM way in League 2 than the Neilson way in League 1. How far are you prepared to drop? Would you be happy in the Conference North providing that we were playing the 'right way' ?

Not sure at want point - but certainly longer than three (count 'em) games! We could have got SAF in and still lost three games!

Speaking only for myself, in Dan's short tenure, I've seen:
- A cloud of negativity start to lift
- A re-connection between fans and club start to get re-established
- Players that play with more expression and the green shoots of better quality to come

Sure, we haven't got a single point yet. And there are loads of errors on the pitch (and off it - in the subs primarily). But there have been enough pros for me to accept the cons, for a good while yet.

Blimey Charlie, give the bloke a break.

That's the kind of post I like. Giving an opinion, citing evidence, but also acknowledging the negatives rather than trying to deny or defend them.

Just one question (and I don't know the answer):
Why do you think we haven't had the usual "new manager boost" in terms of results? Normally, whether a manager turns out to good or bad, or even just a caretaker, the initial results are positive before many times the initial momentum ends.
Do you think it's because in most cases a new manager would try to strip things back and make the team tough to beat, before attempting the more complicated stuff later? Whereas Dan has immediately gone in with the intention of introducing the complex Robboball. That might explain the seeming lack of an immediate manager boost, but with the advantage that once it clicks it is in place for the long term, rather than just as a short term fix?

There is some academic-type research that suggests the "new manager boost" is actually a myth - it is simply a team on a very bad run of form sacking their manager and then post- sacking returning back to their 'norm' which includes winning games. I think I posted a link on one such research piece a few weeks ago, but if not I'll dig it out if it is of interest?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:16 pm 

familymkdonsfan wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
John N wrote:
Could the people who enthuse about DM please say why? At what point do results actually start to matter? Somebody said that they'd rather play the DM way in League 2 than the Neilson way in League 1. How far are you prepared to drop? Would you be happy in the Conference North providing that we were playing the 'right way' ?

Not sure at want point - but certainly longer than three (count 'em) games! We could have got SAF in and still lost three games!

Speaking only for myself, in Dan's short tenure, I've seen:
- A cloud of negativity start to lift
- A re-connection between fans and club start to get re-established
- Players that play with more expression and the green shoots of better quality to come

Sure, we haven't got a single point yet. And there are loads of errors on the pitch (and off it - in the subs primarily). But there have been enough pros for me to accept the cons, for a good while yet.

Blimey Charlie, give the bloke a break.

That's the kind of post I like. Giving an opinion, citing evidence, but also acknowledging the negatives rather than trying to deny or defend them.

Just one question (and I don't know the answer):
Why do you think we haven't had the usual "new manager boost" in terms of results? Normally, whether a manager turns out to good or bad, or even just a caretaker, the initial results are positive before many times the initial momentum ends.
Do you think it's because in most cases a new manager would try to strip things back and make the team tough to beat, before attempting the more complicated stuff later? Whereas Dan has immediately gone in with the intention of introducing the complex Robboball. That might explain the seeming lack of an immediate manager boost, but with the advantage that once it clicks it is in place for the long term, rather than just as a short term fix?

There is some academic-type research that suggests the "new manager boost" is actually a myth - it is simply a team on a very bad run of form sacking their manager and then post- sacking returning back to their 'norm' which includes winning games. I think I posted a link on one such research piece a few weeks ago, but if not I'll dig it out if it is of interest?

If you could, that would be great. I find anything that provides detailed facts and evidence quite interesting.
That's because I'm a sad bastard. :geek:

Join the "sad bastard" club ;)

Link is on the start of this thread :-

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=895

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:36 pm 

The problem is, as was said at the beginning, we haven't really got time to 'give the guy a break'. To appoint someone with no club managerial experience was a risky move under the circumstances. I have seen nothing to suggest that this is going to work, I'm afraid. I very much hope that I'm wrong but I think relegation is a distinct possibility and that is very disturbing. I just don't see the improvement that other people maintain is happening. One goal and three losses in three games just ain't going to cut it. Trying to play Robbo style doesn't seem to put the ball in the back of the net and we can't afford to be self indulgent about this. We have a squad full of forwards and only play one central striker. That makes no sense!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:41 pm 

Why do people keep talking about 'Robbo style' ? What we are playing now ain't nothing like that.

We are now actually spending more time in the opponents half, at last.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:46 pm 

John N wrote:
The problem is, as was said at the beginning, we haven't really got time to 'give the guy a break'.

Yes we have. We're not going to go bust anytime soon. We've got time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:52 pm 

John N wrote:
The problem is, as was said at the beginning, we haven't really got time to 'give the guy a break'. To appoint someone with no club managerial experience was a risky move under the circumstances. I have seen nothing to suggest that this is going to work, I'm afraid. I very much hope that I'm wrong but I think relegation is a distinct possibility and that is very disturbing. I just don't see the improvement that other people maintain is happening. One goal and three losses in three games just ain't going to cut it. Trying to play Robbo style doesn't seem to put the ball in the back of the net and we can't afford to be self indulgent about this. We have a squad full of forwards and only play one central striker. That makes no sense!

He’s had three games so far, to turn an ugly soulless team into something more exciting and tactical.
This is not going to happen immediately, there is a huge improvement already, we are actually attacking, creating chances and shooting more.

The wins will come, it’s a longer term project with Dan at the helm, nobody wants relegation and hopefully we can stay up playing football with a bit of style, if we don’t we don’t, but under Neilson we were doomed anyway

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:13 pm 

If we had appointed Grayson or Earburton, one who didn’t want the job and the other who is an absolute fraud of a manager and an absolute prick too, and we had the exact same results we’d be moaning we were still losin and may as well have kept Neilson and that the style was still shit, etc.

I think we were always in danger of going down and no manager guarantees safety. This appointment goes way beyond the 4/5 months Dan has. Working with players that aren’t his, who have been shot to pieces all season.
This is a long term one. If we get relegated I’m sure Dan gets 20% of the blame whilst Neilson gets 80%, but Dan, who has given us more encouraging signs than Neilson ever did this season, will get a go from League Two or whatever next season and we go again. If he struggles to hit the ground running and we aren’t doing enough in the first few months of that season he may well leave. But he’s three games in. We may win our next five. You can’t expect a side in shit form to just change dramatically, style and results. Results come with confidence and a better style helps bring that.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:09 pm 

But the major job which he has to do is to ensure our survival in League One. That's more important at the moment than changing to 'beautiful football'. And if we have to play ugly to survive, then so be it! I just don't have the same faith that the wins are bound to come. Why exactly do people believe this as some sort of article of faith?

I fail to see why an inexperienced manager who makes bizarre substitutions is going to be the start of something wonderful! Playing Robbo football isn't a panacea. If it had been, Robinson wouldn't have had to be sacked, would he?

I see nothing encouraging in a manager who contrives to lose to a League Two side at home, sees his team score one goal in three games and loses the lot! This seems to me to be simple wishful thinking.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:29 pm 

John N wrote:
But the major job which he has to do is to ensure our survival in League One. That's more important at the moment than changing to 'beautiful football'. And if we have to play ugly to survive, then so be it! I just don't have the same faith that the wins are bound to come. Why exactly do people believe this as some sort of article of faith?

I fail to see why an inexperienced manager who makes bizarre substitutions is going to be the start of something wonderful! Playing Robbo football isn't a panacea. If it had been, Robinson wouldn't have had to be sacked, would he?

I see nothing encouraging in a manager who contrives to lose to a League Two side at home, sees his team score one goal in three games and loses the lot! This seems to me to be simple wishful thinking.

you are so wrong on so many levels, a bit like a multi storey car park

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:44 pm 

John N wrote:
But the major job which he has to do is to ensure our survival in League One. That's more important at the moment than changing to 'beautiful football'. And if we have to play ugly to survive, then so be it!

You may not have noticed but we’ve been “playing ugly” for over a year. It hasn’t worked.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next