THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nombe to Oxford City
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:54 am 

Towcestrian wrote:
There's probably some good away days in the conference south.....

How many do you think we'd take to Truro?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:02 am 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Towcestrian wrote:

Probably a lot more than most of us would expect. It would be the game of choice for the “one away game a season, weekend away with the family” carravaning crowd we have as long as it’s not in mid winter.

We always seem to have one away game every season where I look around and go “who are these people?”. This year there’s been two: Blackpool & Pompey. That’s another thing, we do like the seaside, don’t we? I guess being further from a coastline than any other town in Britain must have something to do with it? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:53 am 

Camdenite wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Towcestrian wrote:

Probably a lot more than most of us would expect. It would be the game of choice for the “one away game a season, weekend away with the family” carravaning crowd we have as long as it’s not in mid winter.

We always seem to have one away game every season where I look around and go “who are these people?”. This year there’s been two: Blackpool & Pompey. That’s another thing, we do like the seaside, don’t we? I guess being further from a coastline than any other town in Britain must have something to do with it? :lol:

I have small children. Small children like the seaside. Southend in April here we come!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:52 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Hugo Logan now gone on loan to Hitchin in the 7th tier. They're getting even lower in the pyramid.
That's Tilney, Furlong, Nombe and Logan that have been loaned out this season to the 6th tier or below, not even getting games in the National League.

I’m not sure it’s such a big issue as you’re making out. While I’d be concerned* about the training facilities & coaching at said clubs, I believe they still spend the bulk of the week training with us.

The whole point of these loans is getting them used to playing against grown men in a match situation. That’s not going to make as much difference whether it’s Conference, Conference North/South or Evo-Stick leagues. Their technical “development” is still overseen by us.

*-for all I know they may be better than Woughton and have staff with UEFA Pro licences.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:44 pm 

What level (comparitavely) was the club in Iceland that Baldock minor went to?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:47 pm 

dont think any of them will make the grade with us, not good enough for league football, national league is the best they will get, the club are not producing good enough talent anymore, only the odd one or two are getting near, brittain being the odd one from a couple of years of poor players

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:01 am 

Camdenite wrote:
Hugo Logan now gone on loan to Hitchin in the 7th tier. They're getting even lower in the pyramid.
That's Tilney, Furlong, Nombe and Logan that have been loaned out this season to the 6th tier or below, not even getting games in the National League.

I’m not sure it’s such a big issue as you’re making out. While I’d be concerned* about the training facilities & coaching at said clubs, I believe they still spend the bulk of the week training with us.

The whole point of these loans is getting them used to playing against grown men in a match situation. That’s not going to make as much difference whether it’s Conference, Conference North/South or Evo-Stick leagues. Their technical “development” is still overseen by us.

*-for all I know they may be better than Woughton and have staff with UEFA Pro licences.

Surely another big plus is that these clubs are reasonably local. They could commute from home if they wanted. We have seen how home sickness can affect youngsters coming into our own team from afar, so perhaps it’s better that their first loan spell is nearby.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:18 am 

epdon wrote:
Camdenite wrote:

Surely another big plus is that these clubs are reasonably local. They could commute from home if they wanted. We have seen how home sickness can affect youngsters coming into our own team from afar, so perhaps it’s better that their first loan spell is nearby.

This is a good point and also makes it easy for them to continue to train with us, as in Camden’s points.
Didn’t I see somewhere else - on here, or Twitter - that Nombe is in the highest league possible to do outside of the transfer window?
I’ve never been convinced that Hugo is as good as some of our other youngsters, maybe a stint playing regular (hopefully), men’s football will help.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:34 pm 
Scored another 2 today and got man of the match. 3 goals in 2 games for him.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:12 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:
Scored another 2 today and got man of the match. 3 goals in 2 games for him.

Can we recall him?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next