THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Squad fitness levels
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:36 am 
I notice that Charlton have had a lot of injury problems this season, with the latest now being their Arsenal loanee Mavididi being out for 8 weeks.

Can't find any article on it (think it might have been On the Dot that mentioned it originally in his blog), but one thing that springs to mind is the difference Neilson has made to our fitness levels as a squad.

I think it was On the Dot that mentioned how Neilson was surprised at how poor our training/fitness regimes were and how there were arrangements with players to commute long distances etc so Neilson brought in that John Hill guy to help with fitness.

I think it's fair to say that apart from Sow/Pawlett (already injured when they joined us), Walsh, Golbourne and an already injury-prone Aneke, we've been pretty good in terms of lack of injuries to our squad, whereas under Robinson I seem to remember we would have numerous key players out for periods most seasons.

Robinson's first full season in charge of Charlton and apparently they've had 8 key players out during the season at various points, the latest being an Arsenal loanee who has only been with them a few weeks.

Yes we were shite under Neilson, but one positive you can say is it seems he sorted the fitness levels out.

Last edited by FilthyDon on Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Squad fitness levels
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:41 am 

It could be argued that Neilson's negative tactics requires a low level of fitness or that we aren't getting into the scoring positions that result in more injuries. The new 4G may have had a difference, while we have less players who twist and turn like Ben Reeves which puts maximum strain on the body (is it a coincidence that Aiden Nesbitt has been injured?).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:35 pm 

When will Nesbitt be back?
I rate him.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:00 pm 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
It could be argued that Neilson's negative tactics requires a low level of fitness or that we aren't getting into the scoring positions that result in more injuries. The new 4G may have had a difference, while we have less players who twist and turn like Ben Reeves which puts maximum strain on the body (is it a coincidence that Aiden Nesbitt has been injured?).

Well, Neilson improved their fitness to help avoid injuries, and we have had less injuries. The OP’s point stands.

Players run about just as much as before, it’s just that they are now chasing opponents more.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:05 pm 

Sausage wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:

Well, Neilson improved their fitness to help avoid injuries, and we have had less injuries. The OP’s point stands.

Players run about just as much as before, it’s just that they are now chasing opponents more.

If we are letting in more and scoring less goals then there is a valid case that our fitness levels aren't what they used to be and the OP's point falls like we have been doing so.