THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)
http://www.sitdownorwellstealyourclub.com/phpbb2/

How long ago
http://www.sitdownorwellstealyourclub.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1048
Page 2 of 3

Author:  ReturnofMoo [ Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: How long ago

WellDon wrote:
hyper wrote:
RedDotDon wrote:
Every club in the football league is looking for a decent striker.

Not every club can have a 20+ goal scorer.


Very true, however if the other players are not chipping in with goals then the team has a serious problem.

Agard who the club paid a substantial fee for and probably a large wage is a good example of the poor player recruitment within the club. Certainly when you look at his first touch and ball control, he really does not fit the Robinson/DM style.

I agree we paid a record fee for him, thought to be just over £300k, but in this day and age it’s nothing really even at our level.


I didn't think the amount was announced. I believe Bristol City paid Rotherham £846k for him.

Author:  BertieWoostersDonsClub [ Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: How long ago

WellDon wrote:
hyper wrote:
RedDotDon wrote:
Every club in the football league is looking for a decent striker.

Not every club can have a 20+ goal scorer.


Very true, however if the other players are not chipping in with goals then the team has a serious problem.

Agard who the club paid a substantial fee for and probably a large wage is a good example of the poor player recruitment within the club. Certainly when you look at his first touch and ball control, he really does not fit the Robinson/DM style.

I agree we paid a record fee for him, thought to be just over £300k, but in this day and age it’s nothing really even at our level

I agree with this. I think this whole "we spent our biggest ever budget" this year is overplayed as, with the increasing money being spent in the game, all clubs are having to spend more than they ever have just to compete.
When PW took over, the idea of a league one club receiving even £1m for a player was a dream. In the last few years we got £5m for Dele, Peterborough £8m for Assombolonga, Charlton £9m for Lookman, while Wigan reportedly turned down up to £10m for Powell on deadline day.
Over the last few years the increased money at the top level has started to spread down as more foreign owners are buying clubs in the championship and even lower levels. So yes, our budget is going up compared to our own past, but it has too just for us to even compete at the same level in the current market as everybody's spending is increasing and so the same level players now cost more than they did 5 years ago.

Author:  WellDon [ Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: How long ago

ReturnofMoo wrote:
WellDon wrote:
hyper wrote:
RedDotDon wrote:
Every club in the football league is looking for a decent striker.

Not every club can have a 20+ goal scorer.


Very true, however if the other players are not chipping in with goals then the team has a serious problem.

Agard who the club paid a substantial fee for and probably a large wage is a good example of the poor player recruitment within the club. Certainly when you look at his first touch and ball control, he really does not fit the Robinson/DM style.

I agree we paid a record fee for him, thought to be just over £300k, but in this day and age it’s nothing really even at our level.


I didn't think the amount was announced. I believe Bristol City paid Rotherham £846k for him.

It wasn’t ever officially announced, but Robbo did tell people it was just over the £300k mark, with add ons, appearances, goals scored etc.

Author:  Russybcool [ Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: How long ago

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
WellDon wrote:
hyper wrote:
RedDotDon wrote:
Every club in the football league is looking for a decent striker.

Not every club can have a 20+ goal scorer.


Very true, however if the other players are not chipping in with goals then the team has a serious problem.

Agard who the club paid a substantial fee for and probably a large wage is a good example of the poor player recruitment within the club. Certainly when you look at his first touch and ball control, he really does not fit the Robinson/DM style.

I agree we paid a record fee for him, thought to be just over £300k, but in this day and age it’s nothing really even at our level

I agree with this. I think this whole "we spent our biggest ever budget" this year is overplayed as, with the increasing money being spent in the game, all clubs are having to spend more than they ever have just to compete.
When PW took over, the idea of a league one club receiving even £1m for a player was a dream. In the last few years we got £5m for Dele, Peterborough £8m for Assombolonga, Charlton £9m for Lookman, while Wigan reportedly turned down up to £10m for Powell on deadline day.
Over the last few years the increased money at the top level has started to spread down as more foreign owners are buying clubs in the championship and even lower levels. So yes, our budget is going up compared to our own past, but it has too just for us to even compete at the same level in the current market as everybody's spending is increasing and so the same level players now cost more than they did 5 years ago.


It's what you do with said money. All of the Dele money was used on land buying and architect plans for Cosgrove. The playing side didn't see much of it.

I have said all along you reap what you sow and we have been found out. Nevermind, it is what it is we just have to deal with it and move on.

Author:  Camdenite [ Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: How long ago

Russybcool wrote:

It's what you do with said money. All of the Dele money was used on land buying and architect plans for Cosgrove. The playing side didn't see much of it.

I have said all along you reap what you sow and we have been found out. Nevermind, it is what it is we just have to deal with it and move on.


sorry, but that's absolute guff. The wage bill went up massively when we went up to The Championship and as previously shown it wasn't all covered by the increased TV revenue.

You can argue it was spent poorly, but that's a different matter.

Author:  FilthyDon [ Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: How long ago

I agree the club should focus more on permanently signed players full stop rather than relying on loanees. Not a single long term player signed this window.

Think the club really neglect scouting the lower leagues. Peterborough have done very well with a few of their non-league signings (or at least players that have spent most of their career so far in non-league).

Author:  BertieWoostersDonsClub [ Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: How long ago

FilthyDon wrote:
I agree the club should focus more on permanently signed players full stop rather than relying on loanees. Not a single long term player signed this window.

Think the club really neglect scouting the lower leagues. Peterborough have done very well with a few of their non-league signings (or at least players that have spent most of their career so far in non-league).

Absolutely this. Can't understand why we overlook the lower leagues.
Well scouted players from that level seem to fall into PW's philosophy: young, hungry and cheap. And, if developed well, can be sold on for a profit.

Author:  dons50 [ Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: How long ago

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:
I agree the club should focus more on permanently signed players full stop rather than relying on loanees. Not a single long term player signed this window.

Think the club really neglect scouting the lower leagues. Peterborough have done very well with a few of their non-league signings (or at least players that have spent most of their career so far in non-league).

Absolutely this. Can't understand why we overlook the lower leagues.
Well scouted players from that level seem to fall into PW's philosophy: young, hungry and cheap. And, if developed well, can be sold on for a profit.


We want technically good footballers. We are much more likely to find them as PL academy discards than in the lower leagues.

Author:  FilthyDon [ Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: How long ago

dons50 wrote:
We want technically good footballers. We are much more likely to find them as PL academy discards than in the lower leagues.


Not sure about that. Lots of PL discards end up having unremarkable careers. They all have very little or no football league experience.

Whereas a proven non-league goalscorer or creative mid that has been playing week in week out for a few seasons has the experience of more competitive, physical football as well as the ability to score goals which may or may not translate to performing the same at a higher level.

I'd much rather take a gamble on a 20+ goal per season non-league striker than an inexperienced, untested PL academy cast off, of which there are many.

Ben Reeves was an exception. The vast majority aren't as good as him.

Author:  ReturnofMoo [ Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: How long ago

FilthyDon wrote:
dons50 wrote:
We want technically good footballers. We are much more likely to find them as PL academy discards than in the lower leagues.


Not sure about that. Lots of PL discards end up having unremarkable careers. They all have very little or no football league experience.

Whereas a proven non-league goalscorer or creative mid that has been playing week in week out for a few seasons has the experience of more competitive, physical football as well as the ability to score goals which may or may not translate to performing the same at a higher level.

I'd much rather take a gamble on a 20+ goal per season non-league striker than an inexperienced, untested PL academy cast off, of which there are many.

Ben Reeves was an exception. The vast majority aren't as good as him.


Some also end up in the lower leagues and some go / go back abroad. This is an interesting article

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... ayers.html

Page 2 of 3 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/