THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lee Nicholls.. again.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:36 pm 

It seems like only yesterday people were claiming he wins us more points than he saves and I’m yet to see it.

He really needs to improve big time.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:49 pm 

We were talking about this on the way home from the game last weekend and I do see where you are coming from and the comparison to Martin was made. Now yes, Nicholls does cost us points, but I feel that what is in front of him can't be helping matters.

Wooton looked poor, as did Williams and if it wasn't for Ward stepping up we could have lost by more. Martin on the other hand at least had Baldock McFadzen Walsh and Lewie all giving him a hand.

He is nothing more than an average to good keeper and will find his level with us or a team around us. But then again, he is not the only one who I underachieving!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:13 pm 

He’s ok, makes errors like all league 1 level keepers, his problem is mainly who wins the lottery to play in the back 4, it’s never a settled defence it changes every week

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:15 pm 

Lee swept left when Alby's profile came up and he's never forgiven him. ;)

P.S. I don't know what the above sentance means. A young person wrote it for me. I've got all me own teeth you know. Hitler bombed our chip shop.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:28 am 

I think he’s a good keeper and could be a good keeper for us going forward by the way - before anyone starts I’m not calling for him to be dropped or saying he isn’t good enough blah de blah. I’m saying he’s not performing. And is letting in a lot of goals that I feel other keepers we’ve had down the years would’ve been slated for. Or in general should be slated for.

I get the point Russ made about the defence in front of him not being good enough but I don’t think that is an excuse for being beat at your near post and partying every other shot to the six yard box directly in front of him. Goalkeeper coaches at other League One clubs must be having a field day studying him and seeing what he lets in and letting the performance analysts know how he drops everything.

I just find it a tad weird that in the situation we are in, and a goalkeeper letting in so many goals especially in the past month or so in so easily that nobody ever brings it up but we’re (rightly) quick to slate Ian and Dave Martin for their errors down the years.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:38 am 

David Martin is a little bit better than Lee who is a lot better than Ian, but Lee can improve if he can parry the ball wider and cover his near post more.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:23 am 

You can guarantee he is paid a significantly lower wage than Martin was.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:33 am 

Keepers will always cost you points ..... we are league 1 so every player will make a couple of mistakes a game - by the nature of being the last man sadly a keepers mistakes more often than not end up with a goal ! if you count every time a striker misses an easy chance compared to a keeper I know who makes more !!

Having said that in the last few weeks Nichols has made some that should be avoided - every keeper knows that you must not let anything in near post, and you cannot hesitate if you come for it you must get it

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:39 am 

I think you're looking at the wrong end of the pitch. We could play Banks there and all it would mean is we would draw 0-0 more often. We need to score goals.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:05 am 

Don Direction wrote:
I think you're looking at the wrong end of the pitch. We could play Banks there and all it would mean is we would draw 0-0 more often. We need to score goals.

Never understood points like this... so because the goals aren’t going in that means the goalkeeper and other players get away without criticism because Sow, Agard and the others don’t score?

Apparently.

UTF