THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:18 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 2:24 pm 

I personally couldn't give a toss. Most of these players are the reason we are in the fucking mess we are in. If they get a bollocking so be it. If they fall out with him cause their fragile little egos got bruised then so be it. I would understand if things had improved and we were looking up, but the past year we have sunk quicker than a concrete shit out of an aeroplane. So long as he doesn't send Lewie to Charlton then he is OK in my book.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 4:14 pm 

DippyDon wrote:
TomMac&Ernie wrote:
A couple of points. Firstly I’m disappointed but not surprised that nobody has had the good grace to thank the guy for taking the time to post what was a well thought out piece on our new man. There’s clearly no malice intended. Rather a view of what we’re likely to get.

"Ah cheers mate for coming in when we're all finally feeling positive after a year and explaining in great detail why we should be miserable and not looking forward to one of the best managerial signings in years" really doesn't flow too well.

Alexander has been successful everywhere he's been. Even at Motherwell. It may have been turgid, it may have ended sourly and their fans may hate him, but his success can't be denied and it's only Motherwell fans that I've seen react negatively to him since we announced him, oddly enough.

Err: I obviously haven’t explained my thoughts very well. So let me have another try.
a) Just because some geezer says something you don’t want to hear doesn’t mean you should diss it. Rather we should thank him for taking the time to give his opinions.
b) Sorry but I don’t go along with this winning is the only thing stuff.
c) Isn’t “I happen to think that Alexander will be a good appointment “ positive enough for you ?
d) I will be delighted if a significant number of those contracted players will improve enough to get us out of League 2. If saying that I’m not sure that’s going to happen makes you miserable well that’s a shame.
e) Have a good summer and hopefully see you on KS’s train.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 4:24 pm 

TomMac&Ernie wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
TomMac&Ernie wrote:
A couple of points. Firstly I’m disappointed but not surprised that nobody has had the good grace to thank the guy for taking the time to post what was a well thought out piece on our new man. There’s clearly no malice intended. Rather a view of what we’re likely to get.

"Ah cheers mate for coming in when we're all finally feeling positive after a year and explaining in great detail why we should be miserable and not looking forward to one of the best managerial signings in years" really doesn't flow too well.

Alexander has been successful everywhere he's been. Even at Motherwell. It may have been turgid, it may have ended sourly and their fans may hate him, but his success can't be denied and it's only Motherwell fans that I've seen react negatively to him since we announced him, oddly enough.

Err: I obviously haven’t explained my thoughts very well. So let me have another try.
a) Just because some geezer says something you don’t want to hear doesn’t mean you should diss it. Rather we should thank him for taking the time to give his opinions.
c) Isn’t “I happen to think that Alexander will be a good appointment “ positive enough for you ?
d) I will be delighted if a significant number of those contracted players will improve enough to get us out of League 2. If saying that I’m not sure that’s going to happen makes you miserable well that’s a shame.

The guy's got an axe to grind so I don't think thanking him is the right response. However, in a spirit of goodwill, I highly recommend Robbie Neilson as their next manager.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 4:37 pm 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
TomMac&Ernie wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
TomMac&Ernie wrote:

The guy's got an axe to grind so I don't think thanking him is the right response. However, in a spirit of goodwill, I highly recommend Robbie Neilson as their next manager.

Yes, we had a good FA Cup win at Hyde United under RN.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i6oBpFKhxGY

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 4:55 pm 

If you're interested in an alternative view, the MK1 podcast have a journalist from Manchester on their latest episode. He has nothing but good to say about Alexander. One stand out quote from him being that he thinks it's a real coup for us to get a manager of his standard in when we're in L2.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 5:14 pm 

GA is clearly a very good coach. His track record speaks for itself.

Sometimes coaches don't work out at clubs and that's football. Clearly, the squad GA has inherited is, in the sum of its parts, decent for L2. Not brilliant but it is a good squad. I expect him to bring in an old hand or two into the squad this summer - capable, solid professionals, but don't expect Maradona spins and rabona passes in L2.

A good season for us would be finishing in the playoff places, and automatic promotion would be superb.

Most teams in L2 do not play pretty football. The L2 promotion season people rave about under Ince played direct, savvy football. Aaron Wilbraham dropped off the centre half most of those games and provided flick ons, or held it up to get it wide. Most of the squad was inherited from Martin Allen. Our midfield was Keith Andrews, a wonderful player, and Alan Navarro, a horrid little shit of a man who broke up all the opposition play and squared it to Andrews. It was an efficient way to play; the midfield arrangement was great. Swailes and O'Hanlon at centre half weren't ball playing defenders in the way someone like Darling was or Jules is.

We will still try to dominate possession and the squad is capable of doing this, but two things have been missing this season in our play: getting balls in the channels, and exposing the back line of teams. I really hope we bring in a very solid central midfielder; McEachran's deal is up on 30 June and we could do with someone with equivalent craft but more resilience and ability to last 90 minutes.

The players also need bullying in pre season. Some of them are young and light, and are at a level where they will produce massively better performances with increased body strength and stamina. Our fitness was sorely lacking last year.

Are we going to play like Wycombe or Tooting? No. But we also aren't Leyton Orient - and not capable of being - yet. Not with the squad we have.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 5:37 pm 

TomMac&Ernie wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
TomMac&Ernie wrote:

*thumbs up emoticon*

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 5:39 pm 

paul4040 wrote:

Sometimes coaches don't work out at clubs and that's football. Clearly, the squad GA has inherited is, in the sum of its parts, decent for L2. Not brilliant but it is a good squad. I expect him to bring in an old hand or two into the squad this summer - capable, solid professionals, but don't expect Maradona spins and rabona passes in L2.

A good season for us would be finishing in the playoff places, and automatic promotion would be superb.

Most teams in L2 do not play pretty football. The L2 promotion season people rave about under Ince played direct, savvy football. Aaron Wilbraham dropped off the centre half most of those games and provided flick ons, or held it up to get it wide. Most of the squad was inherited from Martin Allen. Our midfield was Keith Andrews, a wonderful player, and Alan Navarro, a horrid little shit of a man who broke up all the opposition play and squared it to Andrews. It was an efficient way to play; the midfield arrangement was great. Swailes and O'Hanlon at centre half weren't ball playing defenders in the way someone like Darling was or Jules is.

We will still try to dominate possession and the squad is capable of doing this, but two things have been missing this season in our play: getting balls in the channels, and exposing the back line of teams. I really hope we bring in a very solid central midfielder; McEachran's deal is up on 30 June and we could do with someone with equivalent craft but more resilience and ability to last 90 minutes.

The players also need bullying in pre season. Some of them are young and light, and are at a level where they will produce massively better performances with increased body strength and stamina. Our fitness was sorely lacking last year.

Are we going to play like Wycombe or Tooting? No. But we also aren't Leyton Orient - and not capable of being - yet. Not with the squad we have.

Alan Navarro *sighs wistfully*

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:16 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
paul4040 wrote:

Just a poor man’s David Kasumu.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:23 pm 

Ormeau wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
paul4040 wrote:

Just a poor man’s David Kasumu.

David Kasumu *sighs wistfully*

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next