THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hiram Boateng
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:55 am 

Scribble wrote:
If we were still in league 2 this would have been a great signing, however, if we want to compete in league 1 we need to aim a bit higher than Boateng, he’s a solid decent player, but I’m not convinced he will improve the team, the standard of league 1, top half especially, is vastly different to the dross in league 2.

Mr Tisdale, other players are available that don’t have links with Exeter

He wouldn't have signed for a club in L2

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:25 am 

I just dug out my copy of Done deal - a book on football finance and it describes calculating professional football compensation as taking into account the following factors...
• the status of buying and selling clubs (not too much to worry about here)
• the age of the player (at 23 at the vey upper end of qualifying as under 24)
• length of time during which the selling club trainer the player (only 2 years which is better for us)
• the terms offered by both selling and buying clubs (no wonder Exeter described it as their biggest ever contract offer!)
• his playing record, including international appearances (ok but not likely to push the fee up too much)
• any interest shown by other clubs (not sure there has been a huge amount of interest)

So all in all I doubt we will be paying too much compensation to Exeter, although the book does show they were a key beneficiary of this in the past getting £1.3 million potentially rising to £2.5 for Ethan Ampadu from Chelsea!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:35 am 

Scribble wrote:
If we were still in league 2 this would have been a great signing, however, if we want to compete in league 1 we need to aim a bit higher than Boateng, he’s a solid decent player, but I’m not convinced he will improve the team, the standard of league 1, top half especially, is vastly different to the dross in league 2.

I really don't get this attitude. What is wrong with signing Exeter's best players? Just because Tisdale used to manage them? Surely then that is a positive. He knows he can work with him, he know his attitude, he knows he'll fit into the dressing room, he knows his style of play and he knows how he'll compliment the team.

As for him not being up to League one standard, what a load of rubbish. He is still only 23 years old and was the best player on the pitch every time I watched them play. Very highly rated by Exeter who were desperate to keep him.

We have just been promoted from League one and are probably expected to be around the bottom end of the table next season. Who exactly do you expect us to sign?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:34 am 

LouisMKD wrote:
Scribble wrote:

I really don't get this attitude. What is wrong with signing Exeter's best players? Just because Tisdale used to manage them? Surely then that is a positive. He knows he can work with him, he know his attitude, he knows he'll fit into the dressing room, he knows his style of play and he knows how he'll compliment the team.

As for him not being up to League one standard, what a load of rubbish. He is still only 23 years old and was the best player on the pitch every time I watched them play. Very highly rated by Exeter who were desperate to keep him.

We have just been promoted from League one and are probably expected to be around the bottom end of the table next season. Who exactly do you expect us to sign?

Will Grigg & Jayden Stockley as a minimum.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:11 pm 

LouisMKD wrote:
Scribble wrote:

Well, you wouldn`t have seen him play that much last season, he spent half of it injured and questions were asked of his fitness when he returned.

If you are happy to sign players for a relegation dogfight then that`s fine, personally i`d like us to sign players to reach for the upper levels of league 1, which is where we should be at a minimum, Boateng is ok but i can`t really get excited about him joining, the more pressing problem is upfront, if Agard and Aneke don`t sign then we have a massive task in replacing them.

And i do find it a bit concerning that Tisdale has an obsession for raiding Exeter, it`s a blinkered way of going about recruitment

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:25 pm 

He's made The Guardian league two team of the year. Along with someone called Dean Lewington. Whoever he is!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:55 pm 

Gers wrote:
He's made The Guardian league two team of the year. Along with someone called Dean Lewington. Whoever he is!

Impossible. Far too slow.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:55 pm 

Scribble wrote:

And i do find it a bit concerning that Tisdale has an obsession for raiding Exeter, it`s a blinkered way of going about recruitment

Most managers go to the pool they know. Ince IIRC signed players with Wolves connections, Robbo went for Irish and ex Sheffield Wednesday players (no idea what the connection was!) and we were repeatedly linked with Liverpool youngsters and of course RN Signed players he had knowledge of from Scotland. Just be grateful we're not signing players from Team Bath! ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:38 pm 

dons50 wrote:
Gers wrote:

He got in for his assists not his pace. Even I was surprised he didn't get in the PFA team of the year and Mal Benning from Mansfield did. Lewie's stats were far better.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:43 am 

Filthy wrote:
dons50 wrote:
Gers wrote:

He got in for his assists not his pace. Even I was surprised he didn't get in the PFA team of the year and Mal Benning from Mansfield did. Lewie's stats were far better.

Exactly.

Apparently.

UTF

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next