THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 2:22 pm 

Alby39 wrote:
We aren't getting a top tier Premier League club at this stadium in this division, wish that away immediately.

However, I for one am glad it won't be Villa anyway. Weird club, weird fans

Really? I thought we'd really appeal to a Prem Club. Nice stadium & facilities, decent pitch, pretty easy to get to being central, lower league opposition (so they can play fringe).

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 2:46 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
We aren't getting a top tier Premier League club at this stadium in this division, wish that away immediately.

Really? I thought we'd really appeal to a Prem Club. Nice stadium & facilities, decent pitch, pretty easy to get to being central, lower league opposition (so they can play fringe).

It all depends on their planned pre-season tour. Otherwise, it's just a game against their kids.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 3:16 pm 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
Alby39 wrote:

It all depends on their planned pre-season tour. Otherwise, it's just a game against their kids.

True. Friendlies are now just a money spinner from Prem clubs anyway. They'd prefer to a 12 hour flight somewhere than play against an EFL team.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 8:41 pm 

12 hour flight somewhere is more beneficial than rolling over a League Two side

- Graham Alexander, October 2023

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 9:26 am 

East Wing Don wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
Alby39 wrote:

True. Friendlies are now just a money spinner from Prem clubs anyway. They'd prefer to a 12 hour flight somewhere than play against an EFL team.

Also. Loads of people away as generally start of school holidays. Plus increased staffing costs , kind of means it's probably not much of a money maker as well

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 3:02 pm 

Wealdstone away on 27 July.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 3:06 pm 

AlexDon123 wrote:
Chelmsford have tweeted today that they're playing us on the 24th July at their place in a friendly

https://x.com/OfficialClarets/status/1793945039871103177?t=nBItObOxDFYBBcGWpFqQpA&s=19

I'll probably does this one as it's pretty close to work for me.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 8:49 pm 

Woburn wrote:
AlexDon123 wrote:
Chelmsford have tweeted today that they're playing us on the 24th July at their place in a friendly

https://x.com/OfficialClarets/status/1793945039871103177?t=nBItObOxDFYBBcGWpFqQpA&s=19

I'll probably does this one as it's pretty close to work for me.

Dons since tweeted that it's "an MK Dons XI" which usually means the U18's scattered with players not wanted in the first team, so try and enjoy if you do!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 8:58 pm 

ClubRedDon2 wrote:
Wealdstone away on 27 July.

Did it last year solely for the tick. Not much going for it to make me go again, but I may do as it’s pretty close for me.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 9:03 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
Alby39 wrote:

True - in terms of the money men making the decisions at those PL clubs anyway. Though clubs at all levels base a lot of their thinking on financial reasons after all. Similarly, even on the football reasons, it's the same principle as us sending what's been termed an "MK Dons XI" to the Chelmsford friendly. Teams at all levels tend to have friendlies against similar / higher teams that'll be for their first team, and some of the friendlies against lower teams are for the younger players / squad players. I don't think that's something to have a dig at the PL clubs for, as even the likes of us do it with our non-league friendlies.