THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:05 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:22 am 

So, what a difference a week or two makes? 3 wins in a row is hard enough when youre at the top of the league, nevermind in the pressure couldron of lack of confidence and staring down the barrel of relegation we found ourselves in!

But to pick up 9 points out of 9 against the 3 teams directly around us keeping 3 clean sheets in the process is nothing short of remarkable. If anything the oppositions we faced and the fact its more like 18 points than 9 really does owe jackson and the boys all the credit possible.

They all really delivered for us on and off the pitch!

So that puts us 4 points clear of the drop, with a game in hand over morecambe and on a level playing field with those around us. In the process we have leapfrogged oxford whose next points look some way off with them due to face 4 promotion contenders in the next 5 games.

Its looking alot more like as fans we can breath again but dare i say 1 loss and the teams around us pick up 3 points and we are right back in a dogfight! We cant take nothing for granted but for me the team have put us in a very promising position heading into the run in!

Forget the excitement of all to play for last day! I hope weve cemented our status as wablo with a couple of games to spare! We can go into the last day, relaxed and celebrate what truly will have been a remarkable turnaround by those concerned for a team that looked dead and buried at one point!

4 points clear! Wow!

All we need to do now is match or better the points return of the teams around us and we will go into the final day guaranteed status in league one!

Coyds!

Are we there yet? Who thinks we will stay up now? Whose yet to dare to believe?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:46 am 

I dont think we will need many more points to stay up but the sooner we get them on the board the better! I cant see oxford, Accrington and Morecambe doing much more than we can between now and the end of the season and i dont think we sill go onto lose 8 in a row now dare i say. I havent felt this assured about avoiding a relegation scrap since its just a blip and the team need time to gel in september!

For those that care:

Oxford: posh, wednesday, vale, bolton, portsouth, barnsley, cheltenham, forest green, accrington

Accrington: vale, wednesday, fleetwood, posh, portsmouth, bolton, cambridge, oxford

Morecambe: barnsley, plymouth, portsmouth, wycombe, charlton, lincoln, exeter

So starting with morecambe, for me yhey are down certs! Theyve played more games than us so less points available whilst having 5 less points on the board. You look at their fixtures snd how theyve faired recently and you cannot see a single point there for them. Footballs a funny old game but youd imagine theyd need 5 points to just draw level with us as well as 6 points to better us if we end the season with 6 losses, a win and a draw which would be poor. 11 points from their remaining games? No chance!

Look ahead to accrington: they look the best performing wise out of our 3 rivals but have been unlucky in defeats. However injuries and suspensions look to have decimated their chances. With 4 points needed tk draw level with us and again saying sorst case we pick up 4 points they would need 9 points given our superior goal difference. I see 7 points there for them personally. Not enough.

Oxford: who i assumed had the best squad down here and thought theyd be pushing for promotion but lord knows shats happened there? Come into the run in in terrible form and csnt even beat those around us recently. Where do their points come from if they cant beat morecsmbe? 10 or 11 games sithout a win is it? Looking at gheir run in i see 9 points. They may well still finish above us. But that 9 points is generous and given they cant beag anyone at ghe momdnt then id be literally gifting them 9 points based on last seasons form not this.

What sorks in our favour, going into the final game if we are above all 3 teams by 2 points or 1 point with a better goal difference we cannot really get relegated as it will take 2 out of thise 3 teams yo leapfrog us now and oxford and accy meet on the last daty with 1 point being the best both could achieve tk both leapfrog us! Just food for thought there!

Sk for me i think we can stay up. 7 points will guarantee it, 4/5 will be enough i think! The more the merrier though.

Looking at our run in : wycombe, portsmouth, derby, cheltenham, charlton, fleetwood, barnsley, burton. I see minimum 4 draws but ideally 2 wins and 2 draws. 8 points would surely seal our league one status?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:20 am 

I agree on paper, but we will soon be getting to the stage where some teams have little to play for, other than pride and to entertain their fans. Managers can practice new tactics, blood youngsters for next season etc - so beware of some unexpected results against mid-table teams.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:36 am 

epdon wrote:
I agree on paper, but we will soon be getting to the stage where some teams have little to play for, other than pride and to entertain their fans. Managers can practice new tactics, blood youngsters for next season etc - so beware of some unexpected results against mid-table teams.

Very good point. Add to that, there are always surprise results where someone in our end of the table might take a smash and grab 1-0. You just never know in football

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:44 pm 

Opposition will play a key factor but thats not to say we haven’t improved. We wouldn’t have won all 3 a couple of months ago.

Next 3 games will be in interesting. Wycombe, Portsmouth and Derby. A real chance of not picking up anything.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:53 pm 

Well there you go FGR 1 Sheff W 0 = no point speculating about any future results as anything can happen!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:05 pm 

MKAylesburyDon wrote:
Well there you go FGR 1 Sheff W 0 = no point speculating about any future results as anything can happen!

We used to do exactly that in some of our relegation battles, including raising our game against the top teams.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:38 pm 

As brilliant as the last three games are, look at who we have played. Bearing in mind the only team we have lost to in regards to who is below us is Cambridge on the opening day we really should have won those games and even then we made them look harder than they really should have been. First half yesterday was a difficult watch tbh. Not that they did anything with it but boy it was frustrating at times. But look at the next three. They are much tougher tests. I would just hold the plaudits till after Easter for me. Out of those games I would be looking a 1 point at least maybe 4 at best get 4 I believe we will be safe as I really can't see anyone other than Oxford getting enough points to overtake us. Its in our hands which is all I could ask for is a bit of fight but we have to keep a calm head we are not out the woods yet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:22 pm 

This is why we are where we are...we can't buy a win against the teams in the top half of the table yet we are beating all around us.

Attachment:
Screenshot 2023-03-26 8.19.21 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-03-26 8.19.21 PM.png [ 116.53 KiB | Viewed 465 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:39 pm 

Oakeedokee wrote:
This is why we are where we are...we can't buy a win against the teams in the top half of the table yet we are beating all around us.

Attachment:
Screenshot 2023-03-26 8.19.21 PM.png

That's quite scary viewing. Luckily, we have points on the board and can have a good chance against Cheltenham and Burton (last game of the season). Hopefully we nick some points elsewhere and hope they are already on the beach at the time we play them